Yup tmobile prepaid. Plus LV has their LTE live

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    04-15-13 04:36 AM
    So the loading of the AT&T os plus restore of backup was successful. And the first thing I did was check to see if I could edit my APN settings and lo and behold :

Heading to the US - SIM card question-img_00000348.png

Success! But with all the talk now of just getting a T-Mobile SIM directly, I'm wondering if that wouldn't be the better route over Roam Mobility. Ah well, always good to have options!

Thanks for everyone's input! This has been a very informative thread!

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-15-13 08:13 AM
    So the loading of the AT&T os plus restore of backup was successful. And the first thing I did was check to see if I could edit my APN settings and lo and behold :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000348.png 
Views:	481 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	151407

Success! But with all the talk now of just getting a T-Mobile SIM directly, I'm wondering if that wouldn't be the better route over Roam Mobility. Ah well, always good to have options!

Thanks for everyone's input! This has been a very informative thread!

Posted via CB10
    Hey Dan,

Really glad everything worked out for you in the end! That must have taken some nerves of steel while jumping into a new update on your Z10.

If you are still interested in T-Mobile, I have done a bit of research on their plans, and if you look at here: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Annual Contract | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile, there's a few listed that might suit you. If you do not need texting or calling to Canada or Mexico, you should scroll down you and will see the pay by the day options which might be good for a short trip to the US? Another good one might be the $30 plan that includes unlimited texting, unlimited data (first 5Gb at 4G speed then throttled to 2G speeds there after I believe), and 100 talk minutes anywhere in the US for 30 days.

If you need calling/texting back to Canada you will have to look at one of their $50-$70 plans and buy the $10 add-on located here: International Prepaid Phone Plans | International Rates | T-Mobile. Alas, that add-on can only be added to one of those plans and not a cheaper one!

I suppose whatever your needs are, you could probably find a plan that suits it on there. If you need data, I would go with one of those two plans and have at it.

At any rate, glad it all worked out and I hope the update treats you well!
    04-15-13 09:16 AM
    Hey Dan,

Really glad everything worked out for you in the end! That must have taken some nerves of steel while jumping into a new update on your Z10.

If you are still interested in T-Mobile, I have done a bit of research on their plans, and if you look at here: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Annual Contract | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile, there's a few listed that might suit you. If you do not need texting or calling to Canada or Mexico, you should scroll down you and will see the pay by the day options which might be good for a short trip to the US? Another good one might be the $30 plan that includes unlimited texting, unlimited data (first 5Gb at 4G speed then throttled to 2G speeds there after I believe), and 100 talk minutes anywhere in the US for 30 days.

If you need calling/texting back to Canada you will have to look at one of their $50-$70 plans and buy the $10 add-on located here: International Prepaid Phone Plans | International Rates | T-Mobile. Alas, that add-on can only be added to one of those plans and not a cheaper one!

I suppose whatever your needs are, you could probably find a plan that suits it on there. If you need data, I would go with one of those two plans and have at it.

At any rate, glad it all worked out and I hope the update treats you well!
    Hey Smitty,

I don't know if it was nerves of steel, blissful ignorance or just plain stupidity, but it was definitely a little touch and go for a few hours last night!

Thanks for all the T-Mobile info. I might be heading down to Orlando for a couple of days on business this week so I'm going to test things out with the Roam Mobility card since I already bought their SIM card and have it in hand. I probably won't have the time to go into a T-Mobile store and deal with a sales rep. If I do end up going south this week, I'll definitely report back on my roaming experience via this thread.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:48 AM
    Quick update. I'm in Orlando right now using my unlocked Z10 with a Roam Mobility SIM in it and everything is working great!

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-17-13 07:31 PM
    Forgive me for asking a couple of dumb questions:

1. Can I unlock my Rogers Z10 myself or do I have to get someone to do it?

2. I assume if we're using another SIM card the phone number will change. Is the cost savings worth having to advise everyone I know personally and professionally to call me at a different number? Unless there's some way to forward those calls to the new number, thereby incurring long-distance charges which will eat up the cost savings. Sounds to me this is only beneficial to make outgoing calls.
    04-17-13 08:15 PM
    Hey dynot,

Not dumb questions at all. I know I was very green to a lot of this and had to ask around before I got comfortable with it! Hopefully I answer your questions well enough!

1. Can I unlock my Rogers Z10 myself or do I have to get someone to do it?
    Technically, yes, you can unlock your Z10 yourself with such services as CrackBerryUnlocking.com. The only concern I would have with this is I know of some people who have used third party unlocking services and this has voided their warranty on some carriers. I would call Rogers to double check on their policy about this. Conversely, you can also ask your carrier to provide you an unlock code for your phone. The only caveat of this is for Rogers (and also Koodo that I know of) you must have had your phone for a period of 90 days before they will provide you the code. I know for Koodo the fee for this is $50, I am unsure about the cost associated with Rogers.

2. I assume if we're using another SIM card the phone number will change. Is the cost savings worth having to advise everyone I know personally and professionally to call me at a different number? Unless there's some way to forward those calls to the new number, thereby incurring long-distance charges which will eat up the cost savings. Sounds to me this is only beneficial to make outgoing calls.
    Yes your phone number will change and you will be given a new USA phone number when you have a new SIM card inserted from a carrier in the USA (or for example Roam Mobility found in Canada which specializes in USA roaming SIM cards). I suppose the cost savings is dependent upon your use and how often people will need to contact you by voice calling you. On Roam Mobility calls to Canada while in the USA are free for you to make, but I would assume those in Canada calling you would incur some sort of long distance charge as the number is American. I know with most carriers if one tries to forward calls from their domestic number to their international SIM card phone number they will incur long distance charges themselves, as that is technically a call from your domestic phone to an international phone number.

In the long run, it would probably be a safe statement to make that these services are best for outgoing calls and not extremely cost effective for those having to call you. That being said, calls you make while in the USA back to Canada while on Roam Mobility for example are included in your initial cost and you will not incur any further charges.

Again, this is more of less what you plan on needing the most. If you are expecting a lot of phone calls from mobile and land lines from back here in Canada, it would not be cost effective for your callers, but would be for you. I suppose you have to decide to whom would the cost savings be best put toward; yourself or your callers.

Keep in mind however, people could use VOIP services such as the free calling to the USA and Canada that Gmail provides, but I understand this may not be the most convenient of methods, but should be considered.

Hope this helps!
    dynot likes this.
    04-18-13 11:27 AM
    Hope this helps!
    Sure does...thanks for that very informative explanation.

I wouldn't expect a lot of calls from Canada so those long-distance charges would be minimal. But the majority would come from the USA. Still, my line would be charged with these costs.
    04-18-13 03:21 PM
    @danfrancisco, can you let me know what carrier you are on. I am with Telus and there seems to be problems with Roam cards and the ability to change the APN settings.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 02:12 PM
    @danfrancisco, can you let me know what carrier you are on. I am with Telus and there seems to be problems with Roam cards and the ability to change the APN settings.

Posted via CB10
    Hi dexter, sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't checked this thread in a month. I'm with Rogers.

Since my Orlando trip, I've installed four different leaked 10.1 OS's and all of them locked out the APN settings. Except for this latest leak which I installed last night (10.1.0.2342). With that leak, the ability to edit my APN settings is back. You should try giving that leak a shot.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 08:27 AM
    Looks like the post I was replying to was deleted
    07-20-13 07:49 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD