Hi all,
    It is a rather bittersweet time for me as my graduate school adviser is sending me out to France for three months to help build a physics experiment. I've been out there multiple times for about two weeks at a time and all times, I have fought to get internet connection anywhere except the place that I stay. This time, I need data to help keep me sane and I don't want to pay for AT&T's international rip-off plan. Does anyone know of a great prepaid plan that I can buy online that includes data? 1 GB would be nice. Thank you!
    05-04-13 02:47 PM
    Make sure your phone unlocked, or unlock with a service provider like cell unlocker.com Then get a SIM card in France.
    If your phone is unlocked, tri-band and GSM, you can spend about 30 euros when you arrive in France to get a pre-paid SIM card. You would insert this card under your battery (DO save the existing SIM card! It is very important to keep it safe). These pre-paid SIM cards can be bought in mobile phone shops in France (the primary companies are Orange, Bouygues Telecom and SFR). You can also buy them before you go from various Internet companies. If your phone isn't ready for global travel, you can buy phones that will work anywhere in the world at these Internet shops as well.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    05-04-13 03:04 PM
    Thank you for your reply, but I know all that. I was hoping for specific prepaid plan recommendations that I can buy online. Last time I was in France, I was only able to buy an SFR and Bouygues SIM card without data. This time, I want to buy one online with data. I will be in northern France near the Belgium border away from all cities.
    05-04-13 03:37 PM
    I tried this recently http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/ on a very short trip to France
    Afraid it didn't work as planned however when I contacted them after and explained what I was using they said I need to add
    the APN settings

APN (Access Point Name): netgprs.com
    Username: tsl
    Password: tsl

But as far as delivery and the cost it seemed pretty good and I would be willing to try on my next trip. Hopefully with more success

Hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    jdhooghe likes this.
    05-04-13 03:57 PM
    You should ask superfly. He can help you with that.

I just tweeted him to check this post

Posted via CB10
    raino and jdhooghe like this.
    05-05-13 06:32 AM
    Hi Marcus,
    I'm traveling right now but I'll suggest you check the offers from sosh.fr or b-and-you.fr - B&YOU sans engagement
    They both rely on solid carriers and should fit your needs.
    I'm not sure if they can ship the sim overseas though.
    Sorry but barely "G" data now, I'll try to be more specific tomorrow
    Please PM me as a reminder!

Edited wrong b&you URL, sry
    raino and jdhooghe like this.
    05-05-13 01:42 PM
    Thank you, Superfly_FR and BB-Marcus!
    05-05-13 02:30 PM
    Thank you, Superfly_FR and BB-Marcus!
    You're very welcome. Please excuse my nickname confusion jdhooghe

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:04 PM
    So I checked them out and they need a french address. This is proving more difficult than I thought! :P
    05-06-13 06:48 PM
    I walked into Orange store and handed them about 40 Euros as I remember and walked out in about 15 mins with my phone working with unlimited data on Orange's network.

You will need your address you are staying at and passport as I remember.

Orange stores are everywhere. I seem to remember one near Arc de Triumphe from where you get off the Air France bus as you ride into downtown. You can probably use Google Maps to help with that.

I don't speak French so I went to Google translate and typed in a prepared phrase and had that ready for the associate to help me. (It was probably off but close enough).

They will want to know how many minutes you want to buy. I believe there is a minimum mins you need to buy to get unlimited data.

Worked great and I had great service on my iPhone while there.

Hope this helps.
    05-07-13 04:08 AM
    lefrenchmobile didn't require a French address when I signed up. The sim was delivered to my home address in the UK

As mentioned the only problem I had was i didn't have the settings for the Z10, trip was rather short so not really an issue at the time.

What I did was buy the basic bundle which was 20euros, then when I had the SIM in the phone I sent an sms to convert to a Data bundle. Note - for some reason you have to do this in France. The online help was pretty responsive it was just a shame there was no mention of the APN settings so I couldn't really use the data part which was my main requirement. Had I been able to test while in the UK I could have at least sorted that out. Oh the card will expire if not used which is a pain.
    05-07-13 04:24 AM
    I have a Z10 unlocked by AT&T. Going to France, Netherlands, Switzerland and Spain for a month. Any suggestions for a voice and data plan and company? I have bought voice plans from The Phone House in France before. This time need a voice and data plan to cover these countries.

Will the phone allow to change the APN with the new SIM inserted? Will the store usually know the APN settings?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:46 PM
    Hi all,
    It is a rather bittersweet time for me as my graduate school adviser is sending me out to France for three months to help build a physics experiment. I've been out there multiple times for about two weeks at a time and all times, I have fought to get internet connection anywhere except the place that I stay. This time, I need data to help keep me sane and I don't want to pay for AT&T's international rip-off plan. Does anyone know of a great prepaid plan that I can buy online that includes data? 1 GB would be nice. Thank you!
    As you're heading to France, give this a go:
    http://www.ritesim.com/
    And they ship overseas.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    06-01-13 02:02 AM
    Data bundle. Note - for some reason you have to do this in France. The online help was pretty responsive it was just a shame there was no mention of the APN settings so I couldn't really use the data part which was my main requirement. Had I been able to test while in the UK I could have at least sorted that out. Oh the card will expire if not used which is a pain.
    Can you enter APN settings on an unlocked Z10? Mine is on AT&T but the APN is grayed out with the AT&T SIM inserted. The phone has been unlocked by AT&T though.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:20 PM
    Hi there, if you are still looking for a good solution for your prepaid SIM with data, please check our brand new website: Frenchcell.com
    Contact us (purchase at frenchcell dot com) and we will kindly help you for all matters regarding your SIM question while staying in France.
    Have nice trip in France.
    Pascal Frenchcell.com
    09-03-13 05:05 PM
    Most likely, you will have to buy an international SIM until you get to France. Once in France, you can buy a local prepaid SIM at a phone shop.
    09-04-13 06:46 AM
    For prepaid, you should go for LeFrenchMobile, they have such a helpful service who is willing to consult you with the best offer.

They have special offers for data or call/text/data. Your choice!
    And it's really easy to top up your account with really aggressive rates. They sometimes do discounts also.
    09-01-16 04:55 AM
    If they have Meteor, check them out. I used them in Ireland, and it was 10 Euros for 7.5 Gigs of data. They had all sorts of prepaid options.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 12:58 PM
    Hi all,
    You should give tmobile a try. Free data roaming in so many places. Free incoming and out going calls over wifi. You can't beat it. I don't think no other US carrier can. I speak from experience. No more $1000 a month bills for me. And you keep your number. Calls incoming and outgoing should be only .20 a minute over the cellular network.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    09-01-16 01:35 PM