A lot of people are talking about four future devices but notice how it says future portfolio - ie what their overall product mix is going be and what they plan to sell to be not what new devices they plan to make:

As part of the Company's focus on enhancing its financial results, and in response to the increasing competition in the smartphone market, BlackBerry also announced plans to transition its future smartphone portfolio from six devices to four. The portfolio will focus on enterprise and prosumer-centric targeted devices, including 2 high-end devices and 2 entry-level devices in all-touch and QWERTY models. With the launch of the BlackBerry Z30 - the next generation high-tier smartphone built on the BlackBerry 10 platform -- this week, the Company will re-tier the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone to make it available to a broader, entry-level audience. At the same time, the Special Committee of the Company's Board of Directors continues to evaluate all strategic alternatives for the Company.
    To me they have been clever how they have worded this - it's strictly true true but I think it's an attempt to fudge and hide that they have cancelled two future phones -

So you have Q10 and Z30 at top-end, the re-positioned z10 and q5 at the bottom - four devices and no new devices (in an attempt to conserve cash).
    09-20-13 06:27 PM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone read it that way. I don't think 6 devices makes sense. 4 is more manageable. High end all touch low end all touch high end qwerty low end qwerty.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 06:30 PM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone read it that way. I don't think 6 devices makes sense. 4 is more manageable. High end all touch low end all touch high end qwerty low end qwerty.

Posted via CB10

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer in my title but I'm tired, I'm actually suggesting there are no new phones, it's worded to make you think there are four new phones in the pipe but I think there are zero - they just cancelled the next two and what we have is the end of the line.

The actual thread title should have been Have we just missed BBRY cancel all future phones
    09-20-13 06:32 PM
    Honestly we dont know. There were more phones planned obviously but who knows what will see the daylight
    09-20-13 06:33 PM
    That's probably a fair assessment, and would imply that the rumored Z5 and O-series are turfed, though I'd like to hold out some hope that the Z30 will be updated to an O-series spec some time next year. Also, some chance of a bumped-up spec for the Q10.

Paring down from a planned 6 model line to 4 isn't a bad idea, though. Certainly not in the company's present state.
    Geeoff and Alphax45 like this.
    09-20-13 06:36 PM
    Its another way of saying there are no more Blackberry 10 devices coming

1. z10
    2. Q10
    3. Q5
    4. Z30

I imagine the Porsche design is scrapped. Otherwise one of the above four has to go
    09-20-13 06:38 PM
    Now my 600$ device is a low-end device.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    hajmuntz likes this.
    09-20-13 06:38 PM
    Wasn't Kevin just talking about new device code names a couple days ago? I'm pretty sure there are more models coming. Just not this year. Z30 is the holiday phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 06:39 PM
    Its another way of saying there are no more Blackberry 10 devices coming

1. z10
    2. Q10
    3. Q5
    4. Z30

I imagine the Porsche design is scrapped. Otherwise one of the above four has to go

Right but it's worded to be both true and misleading at the same time.
    09-20-13 06:39 PM

Good thing calling it low end doesn't actually change the specs or performance

Posted via CB10
    schmeat, eldricho and Alphax45 like this.
    09-20-13 06:40 PM

It's like the Storm 2 all over again.
    09-20-13 06:41 PM
    So this could be the end of hardware, while they continue to court enterprise and business with current hardware?

I'd be okay with that for a while, though I certainly hope this is not the END of BlackBerry 10 devices. The developer relations people have got to be feeling the heat with all this... without the apps, these devices will continue to sit on shelves.
    09-20-13 06:41 PM
    I've used five different smart phones, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Storm 2, Bold 9650, iPhone 4s, and by far the Storm 2 was my favorite.
    h20work likes this.
    09-20-13 06:49 PM
    To me, based on previous announcements, BlackBerry intends to only have four phones that are actively sold at any moment, instead of six. Perhaps the two phones that lost out were high and low-end sliders... but more likely, there was a cheaper Z10 and something else.

It seems like even Apple is moving toward this high and low-end portfolio. Instead of making last years iPhone the new low-end, they're redesigning last year's iPhone with cheaper components, thereby keeping the profit margins. The iPhone 5c is just the 5 with cheaper components, like the Q5 is just the Q10 with cheaper components.

I like this strategy: fewer devices to confuse the consumer and less resources needed to develop their portfolio.
    09-20-13 06:50 PM
    The Z30 will be their last phone.

Honestly, I'm surprised they just don't scrap it. It's obviously not going to sell well and they will be sitting with massive inventories of it. Even if they decide to make a much smaller quantity of Z30s, they'll still wind up losing money on it as the per unit cost will probably be higher.
    CHIP72 and Air Force One like this.
    09-20-13 06:54 PM
    If you had it longer than 11 weeks and BlackBerry dropped the price to $400, you did better than the original iPhone owners.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-20-13 06:58 PM
    Noone is saying anything about BB7 OS? What's gonna happen with those? Specially in developing markets. Will they be gone and replaced by BB10? If so, how long will the transition take???

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 07:09 PM
    The joke, really, is that the z10 will be labeled low end and the z30 will be "high end", the z30 will obviously and predictably sell far less than even the z10, it isn't higher specced really, it just has a larger (imo worse) screen. The z30 will be called the flagship and it will sell less than all other models.
    09-20-13 07:10 PM
    More like the storm 1, 2 came out within a year.
    09-20-13 07:23 PM
    The Z30 will be their last phone.

Honestly, I'm surprised they just don't scrap it. It's obviously not going to sell well and they will be sitting with massive inventories of it. Even if they decide to make a much smaller quantity of Z30s, they'll still wind up losing money on it as the per unit cost will probably be higher.
    I think they were already far enough along that they were commited to it....and it maintains some illusion of business going on....otherwise....it's just.....nothingness. Telling that even on CB - the most fanatical place -that most can finally see the dire straits, and that indeed, the z30 is likely the EOL for BB.

I certainly think they will be trying to minimize z30 losses/cost....if there were to be a companion qwerty flagship phone (not just the q10), then it will be announced in the basement of a Pep Boys in Nebraska.
    09-20-13 07:30 PM
    The joke, really, is that the z10 will be labeled low end and the z30 will be "high end", the z30 will obviously and predictably sell far less than even the z10, it isn't higher specced really, it just has a larger (imo worse) screen. The z30 will be called the flagship and it will sell less than all other models.
    Probably true....the z10 will certainly outsell it, not only because of the lead it had, but because it will now be blown out at ever lowering prices until it moves.
    09-20-13 07:32 PM
    Too bad...there was a slider in the pipeline

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    09-20-13 07:41 PM

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    I think you could call their stock a "slider in the pipeline"
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-20-13 07:51 PM
    I've used five different smart phones, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Storm 2, Bold 9650, iPhone 4s, and by far the Storm 2 was my favorite.
    The Storm 2, when it was working properly, was an awesome phone. Then, about 12 months in, it went to sh**.
    09-20-13 07:51 PM

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    In the Pipeline �
    09-20-13 08:04 PM
50 12