11-06-09 07:06 PM
53 123
tools
    RIM is afraid to start over on the OS - afraid they'll p1ss off their 10 year devotees who hate change, afraid they'll break the security that they're famous for, afraid to loose the position they have even if it's crumbling underneath them.

What they need to do is:

- Throw out what they have except the core of secure database and messaging, then rebuild a universal access layer for any apps to securely access it (API)

- Build in a layer between the hardware and apps that presents a standard API to the apps regardless of the underlying hardware (abstraction). Right now I think the third party apps have to be rewritten to every model.

- Build a universal graphics engine that can use whatever hardware is available, including acceleration hardware. Once again, developers would have a device independent interface for their apps to use.

- Build a universal shell that different GUI's can be run on.

- Include the "Classic OS" GUI for the devotees, but allow third parties to develop plug-in GUI's that can take full advantage of the display, hardware, and databases.

Bottom line - it's a lot of work, so it'll happen only when some venture capitalist buys RIM after they go bankrupt from complacency.

Sorry - that was building for a while
    I don't see this happening, most of it anyhow. The OS actually works well, for its intended purpose. What they need is a consumer end phone, an iPhone clone, that's what everyone who complains is looking for really. They want a pretty OS that they can install beer pouring apps on.

For the rest of us, we want something that's 100% secure and actually efficient.
    11-06-09 06:49 PM
    well I don't really give a rat's as* about security. I mean what, people breaking into my phone and reading my spam? That's about as exciting as my life gets. Yeah if you're James Bond then I could see the need for absolute security.

They tried the consumer end phone with the Storm and a crappy touchscreen port of their standard OS. Based upon name alone it's sold like hotcakes, though.

Like I always say, RIM is the IBM of smartphones. Big, bloated, and hard to change.
    11-06-09 06:58 PM
    I don't see this happening, most of it anyhow. The OS actually works well, for its intended purpose. What they need is a consumer end phone, an iPhone clone, that's what everyone who complains is looking for really. They want a pretty OS that they can install beer pouring apps on.

For the rest of us, we want something that's 100% secure and actually efficient.
    Kinda my point.

The base OS currently will not reliably support a glossy-smooth iPhone/Droid like experience without the rewrites I suggested.

So that leaves them writing a quick GUI intensive OS for an entirely separate phone that they wont let touch their servers because the security wont be there.

My point is, rewrite the entire OS except the secure databases and mail systems, and then create a copy of the existing GUI in the form of a theme or plug-in GUI that is standard for the BB faithful, but heavily modifiyable and/or swappable for developers, carriers, etc.

The net result for those that like it the way it is is that they can have the same experience on a drastically better and more flexible underlying OS. Add that the OS is very device independent, still secure, and developers wont pull their hair out writing for it.
    Last edited by TBacker; 11-06-09 at 07:08 PM.
    11-06-09 07:06 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD