hey guys,

Is RIM brewing something big for DevCon and are keeping a lid on any new good news from the hardware/software front (a la Apple) to create buzz

or

has RIM lost control of the medias, starving reporters of any good news because there are none to report (new phones single core, old BBOS, no email client on PB, Amazon copycat at a discount, Android limited compatibility) and news channels gotta sell news somehow so they decide to bash BB just for the kick of it?

If the co-ceo's were to resign, would that keep the news channels quiet for a month or two? Do they want the heads of the ceo's?
    09-29-11 06:18 PM
    I vote for #1
    09-29-11 06:24 PM
    Moved to News and Rumors
    09-29-11 06:32 PM
    The real question, will anyone be listening?

With the launch of Amazon's cheaper knock-off of the Playbook, next week Apple's iPhone 5, the launch of Google's Ice Cream Sandwich also sometime in Oct or early November, will anyone care besides CrackBerry diehards?

Even if there is positive news at DevCon, the blogs / media will ridicule RIM--too little, too late. So wear a helmet, hunker down, it's going to be a long 3 weeks....

RIM needs to put some magic back, to breed life back into PB. Hopefully, Android App Player will do it in spades, also some partnerships for an ecosystem would be nice (hint Netflix).
    09-29-11 08:17 PM
    hey guys,

Is RIM brewing something big for DevCon and are keeping a lid on any new good news from the hardware/software front (a la Apple) to create buzz

or

has RIM lost control of the medias, starving reporters of any good news because there are none to report (new phones single core, old BBOS, no email client on PB, Amazon copycat at a discount, Android limited compatibility) and news channels gotta sell news somehow so they decide to bash BB just for the kick of it?

If the co-ceo's were to resign, would that keep the news channels quiet for a month or two? Do they want the heads of the ceo's?
    "lost" control of the media?? surely you jest--RIM hasn't had control of themselves, much less the media. each day brings a new revelation of floundering ineptness.
    Chrisy and sjsplaty like this.
    09-29-11 08:35 PM
    Well, I used to be in the infantry. Just before all **** breaks lose it gets very, very quiet. I expect Mike L. is just pissed off from all the negative B.S. and he is going to show everyone right then and there that Blackberry is here to stay and blow everyone away.

He said he "got the memo" about content and with TAT, a BB Movies, and a QNX prototype the bashers better get all their shots in before DEVCON. As for the iPhone5 comment. Here is what it will be at best: 8 megapixel, dual core processor with the same 3.5" display. Can't change the form factor or they will lose the app advantage. I think apple actually trapped themselves in a form factor. It has worked well but all the excitement is on the droid side. Apple's best quarters are behind it. The Amazon Fire is going to damage the content focused iPad buyers. The specs on the Playbook are better so apple will take a bigger hit than the Playbook.
    09-29-11 10:27 PM
    Oh! not to worry, RIM has a BIG bowl of soup cooking right now, after it will come with a huge desert and on top a a bigger BlackBerry.
    Last edited by UnknownError507; 09-30-11 at 12:17 AM.
    09-30-11 12:15 AM
    I too can't believe the incredible onslaught of the negative media at this time. Every few hours there seems to be a new wave of articles predicting the demise of RIM.

I really really really hope that the October release will be worth it. I have been looking forward to it myself, but I really hope that the company hasn't been completely destroyed before that happens!

All that RIM seem to do is have little whimpering statements denying the comments.

I have never been a blackberry user, but I love my playbook and chose it over all the alternatives. I want it to succeed and take on those others - I just wish the media would ease up a bit - we all know that the original release was inadequate, they have been hammering that point for months. After OS2 release then they should give RIM all **** - if it is deserved!
    09-30-11 12:40 AM
    The media is a beast targeting the weak, the same way internet trolls/bullies pick out easy targets. Analysts seem to do that too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 05:09 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Expecting very big things in the weeks ahead!! playbook will be even more amazing!

and much more! stay tuned ...
    09-30-11 06:01 AM
    I'm sorry, the fact that you don't know that the word "media" is already plural automatically renders anything you post singularly uninteresting in my mind.
    09-30-11 07:07 AM
    Well, I used to be in the infantry. Just before all **** breaks lose it gets very, very quiet. I expect Mike L. is just pissed off from all the negative B.S. and he is going to show everyone right then and there that Blackberry is here to stay and blow everyone away.

He said he "got the memo" about content and with TAT, a BB Movies, and a QNX prototype the bashers better get all their shots in before DEVCON. As for the iPhone5 comment. Here is what it will be at best: 8 megapixel, dual core processor with the same 3.5" display. Can't change the form factor or they will lose the app advantage. I think apple actually trapped themselves in a form factor. It has worked well but all the excitement is on the droid side. Apple's best quarters are behind it. The Amazon Fire is going to damage the content focused iPad buyers. The specs on the Playbook are better so apple will take a bigger hit than the Playbook.
    I believe you are correct in that the Fire will hurt the iPad more than the playbook, but solely because the playbook simply isn't selling. RIM shipped 200k units in the last quarter, and wouldnt divulge the sell through rate. in comparison, the iPad shipped 9.25 MILLION units in that quarter. By moving the i4 to the retina display, apple can move the screen size up to 4 inches easily without needing to change the resolution of the screen, making it a little easier to port apps. Whether or not mike "gets it" is hard to determine, as they shipped an email-less tablet in 2011, and os2 has no scheduled launch date, which we all know from the Playbook and 9900/9930 launch means it could be next week or 3 months from now.....
    09-30-11 07:47 AM
    Can't wait for 2.0

Just hoping it will actually be significant enough to shut everyone up

09-30-11 08:59 AM
    yeah, the part about the playbook getting basic PIM 6 months after launch will forever haunt it. The lack of 3g/4g versions has also hurt it. The first 30 days are critical for a device to gain momentum and market share. consistent delays and a general lack of marketing efforts, along with mass carrier rejection and a hobbled os is not a good launch product. you would have thought they would have learned on the storm1. hence my opinion that the current management needs to be replaced. they are accepting mediocrity as the norm.
    1812dave likes this.
    09-30-11 09:17 AM
    Can't wait for 2.0

Just hoping it will actually be significant enough to shut everyone up
    OS2 will certainly shut everyone up. They'll either be blown-away by its sheer "sweet"-ness, or stunned by the missed opportunity. Either way, they'll be an initial silence.
    1812dave likes this.
    09-30-11 09:42 AM
    OS2 will certainly shut everyone up. They'll either be blown-away by its sheer "sweet"-ness, or stunned by the missed opportunity. Either way, they'll be an initial silence.
    Awesome. Wasn't sure where you were going with that at first, but I liked it
    09-30-11 09:52 AM
    The problem with upping the screen size and not the resolution is they lose the "retina" ppi. People shouldn't care about this but the marketing of it will have to change. We all know it won't because the average user doesn't understand or even care about that thought.

09-30-11 11:09 AM
    It's just as likely that the silence at the cash register which began the day after the PlayBook launch will continue. RIM's problem isn't that it's software is poor, because it's actually very good. RIM's problem is that there's no real interest in the device, and 2.0 isn't going to change that. Until they address that problem, the PlayBook's position will not improve.
    09-30-11 02:48 PM
    To be honest i dont care what MEDIA say about RIM and PlayBook, cause i know the potential of the device and that wouldn't change my mind about the next Generation of Devices RIM will come out with.

Im shore RIM is cooking something Right now for the Devcon.
    09-30-11 02:49 PM
    To be honest i dont care what MEDIA say about RIM and PlayBook, cause i know the potential of the device and that wouldn't change my mind about the next Generation of Devices RIM will come out with.

Im shore RIM is cooking something Right now for the Devcon.
    Yes, I am sure they are going to burn another pot roast.
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-30-11 03:32 PM
    RIM's problem is that there's no real interest in the device, and 2.0 isn't going to change that. Until they address that problem, the PlayBook's position will not improve.
    It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I believe that the current price reductions might actually be part of a cunning plan to make the tablet more popular and raise the level of interest in the Playbook.

Anyone even mildly interested in a tablet might be tempted to take a risk for one priced at $299. And once it's in your hand, I defy anyone to not be impressed by the Playbook. Everyone (including a few iPad owners!) that I've shown the Playbook to has been impressed - the sharp display and "just right" size being the big-pluses.

It takes a while before the "unfinished" aspects of the current software become apparent... but... all these new owners now DO have an interest in OS2 and will probably become salesmen for the playbook to people they know... and the sales/interest in the playbook will cascade.

Like I say, I hope that actually is the cunning plan.

P.S. If anyone in RIM is reading this, please extend the price cuts to the UK! I promise to buy another one.
    09-30-11 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD