It was also pretty clear that the Android environment in BB10 was a stop-gap measure and was not a first class development choice when BB10 was being introduced. The UX has been different (not just performance) when running Android apps than native. That also adds to the failure of Amazon app store. Fixing this would have required investing much more resources in modifying the runtime and the libraries it comes with.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-15-15 02:19 PM
    Sure that is something that could be offered. The devs don't have to use Google play services to make apps. This is the part that is flawed with your thinking.

1. Your want Android devs to make apps that run on BB10 with Android runtime. If the devs are currently making apps for Android they "DON"T HAVE A BIAS AGAINST THEM" as YOU DO.

That is your flaw in thinking. Android devs don't mistrust Google. Most of them (making the apps) are choose this (program for Android) because they WANT TO. They like Google. They might even love Google. Like many iOS programmers love Apple. Love what they stand for. Even a big company like Facebook has a team of Android coders who could have chosen to code any language they wanted but choose to code Android

So why would they want to get away from Google when they like or in some cases love Google? If you say for "privacy" your done. You don't get it. You never will.
    That was a rather disgusting rant and I was hesitant to reply.
    I think you totally miss the point here. I am not asking why devs don’t develop for another platform, I am asking why Blackberry doesn’t make it easier for devs to develop for them. Advertise that android apps DO work on Blackberry. Provide a compiler that will work with packages written for google play services that can give options to work on other platforms as well that don’t have the dependencies. You are right I don’t like Google, they are creating a monopoly and restricting development of the industry in a linear direction. Competition spurs growth and they are purposely locking down the market now that they have gained the majority of the developers by creating dependencies on services only allowed on OHA compliant products. I don’t care that others chose Google, I love showing people how equally capable other devices are and in some cases superior. People are unaware we still have other options because of the total market saturation of Google.
    I personally will never be a sheep, If I have options I will always choose the one not forced on me. I see an ecosystem designed in such a way to blacken out the sky to impede anything else to grow my first reflex is to chop it down. The only way I can in this case is to choose not to support it in any way.
    DonHB and tmf06 like this.
    12-15-15 02:26 PM
    The little push Blackberry had to bring devs to BB10 was still working with just about zero consumer awareness. Sure we saw it and some of the devs might have got wind but the consumer sure didnt. Why would the devs be attracted by this short term encentive when Blackberry was still doing nothing to restore its brand image and bring in new users.
    That was before the phone was available so they could release it with apps. They knew they needed them then.
    12-15-15 02:33 PM
    I think you totally miss the point here. I am not asking why devs don�t develop for another platform, I am asking why Blackberry doesn�t make it easier for devs to develop for them. Advertise that android apps DO work on Blackberry. Provide a compiler that will work with packages written for google play services that can give options to work on other platforms as well that don�t have the dependencies. You are right I don�t like Google, they are creating a monopoly and restricting development of the industry in a linear direction. Competition spurs growth and they are purposely locking down the market now that they have gained the majority of the developers by creating dependencies on services only allowed on OHA compliant products. I don�t care that others chose Google, I love showing people how equally capable other devices are and in some cases superior. People are unaware we still have other options because of the total market saturation of Google.
    I personally will never be a sheep, If I have options I will always choose the one not forced on me. I see an ecosystem designed in such a way to blacken out the sky to impede anything else to grow my first reflex is to chop it down. The only way I can in this case is to choose not to support it in any way.
    Do some research.
    12-15-15 02:34 PM
    That was before the phone was available so they could release it with apps. They knew they needed them then.
    And the consumers had no clue what a bb10 was. Nor that the Z10 ran it... if they heard of it at all.
    12-15-15 02:37 PM
    Do some research.
    Thanks for the mature contribution.
    12-15-15 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the mature contribution.
    Thanks for just complaining and speculations about things you haven't read about or know.
    12-15-15 02:43 PM
    I give up. Have fun. Invest. Write apps. Save BB10. Be the savior.
    12-15-15 02:44 PM
    It is said by JC and I didn't say they are using I said now on!

Posted via Passport
    You said this:

Yes most of presidents use BlackBerry and FYI BlackBerry 10 is now dedicated for law enforcement!

Posted via Passport
    Who are these "most of presidents" and law enforcement?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-15-15 02:48 PM
    Thanks for just complaining and speculations about things you haven't read about or know.
    I don't know what posts you are reading but It cant possibly be mine.

Since I am so un-informed can you provide some proof that counters my opinions? You are saying that Google is not hindering competition? They don't saturate the market and make it difficult for new competition?
    Its like arguing with a cat in a santa suit....
    12-15-15 02:49 PM
    You said this:

Who are these "most of presidents" and law enforcement?
    You know law enforcement whose activities publish in news papers and I know most whose work don't publish anywhere! Let's see next 2-3 years who shall use BB10 modified variant...

Posted via Passport
    12-15-15 03:03 PM
    I don't know what posts you are reading but It cant possibly be mine.

Since I am so un-informed can you provide some proof that counters my opinions? You are saying that Google is not hindering competition? They don't saturate the market and make it difficult for new competition?
    Its like arguing with a cat in a santa suit....

The little push Blackberry had to bring devs to BB10 was still working with just about zero consumer awareness. Sure we saw it and some of the devs might have got wind but the consumer sure didnt. Why would the devs be attracted by this short term encentive when Blackberry was still doing nothing to restore its brand image and bring in new users.

I think you totally miss the point here. I am not asking why devs don�t develop for another platform, [BOLD]I am asking why Blackberry doesn�t make it easier for devs to develop for them. Advertise that android apps DO work on Blackberry. Provide a compiler that will work with packages written for google play services that can give options to work on other platforms as well that don�t have the dependencies.[\BOLD] You are right I don�t like Google, they are creating a monopoly and restricting development of the industry in a linear direction. Competition spurs growth and they are purposely locking down the market now that they have gained the majority of the developers by creating dependencies on services only allowed on OHA compliant products. I don�t care that others chose Google, I love showing people how equally capable other devices are and in some cases superior. People are unaware we still have other options because of the total market saturation of Google.

And the consumers had no clue what a bb10 was. Nor that the Z10 ran it... if they heard of it at all.
    All of that. They did all of that with the exception of Google play as no forked device can have it. Does that make Google bad? Who knows.

Sorry. I've been around here a long time and reading threads, probably too many saying the same thing today, and get tired of the repeated "if only" when most of only did happen and didn't work so why should they try the same failure again.

Have a good day.
    Carjackd likes this.
    12-15-15 03:05 PM
    All of that. They did all of that with the exception of Google play as no forked device can have it. Does that make Google bad? Who knows.

Sorry. I've been around here a long time and reading threads, probably too many saying the same thing today, and get tired of the repeated "if only" when most of only did happen and didn't work so why should they try the same failure again.

Have a good day.
    Amen. It's like a revolving door.
    Carjackd and kbz1960 like this.
    12-15-15 03:16 PM
    You know law enforcement whose activities publish in news papers and I know most whose work don't publish anywhere! Let's see next 2-3 years who shall use BB10 modified variant...

Posted via Passport
    Really? As in private investigators, FBI, Interpol and so on? In what country?
    12-15-15 03:27 PM

Have a good day.
    Sure I know of blackberry's efforts, the app generator was an absolute joke. If anything it scared people away. Seemed everything they did was a very half-assed effort. If not for the fact that I love how BB10 works I would have left long ago. Blackberry as a company really needs to be sold off. Hopefully someone might decide to preserve the OS and shield some of the patents from Google... but likely it would be Google that would buy them with all that cash at hand.
    DonHB likes this.
    12-15-15 03:28 PM
    ...It's like a revolving door.
    Actually, three months after the Z10 introduction, I was in New York City for several months. The only advertising I saw was on bus stops and entrances to the subway. No other advertising. Not in magazines, not in subways, not on the web and surely not on TV. To suggest that BBRY did a good job with publicity is revisionist history. To suggest that developers would not like an alternative to the big two is also not true, but supporting a untried new platform was not made easy enough. Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram are service providers and should not be lumped together with developers (i.e. ISVs). Adobe has and Microsoft is working on the transition to becoming a service provider, just to be clear. Nothing is inevitable, just harder.
    Last edited by DonHB; 12-15-15 at 04:07 PM.
    12-15-15 03:54 PM
    Actually, three months after the Z10 introduction, I was in New York City for several months. The only advertising I saw was on bus stops and entrances to the subway. No other advertising. Not in magazines, not in subways, not on the web and surely not on TV. To suggest that BBRY did a good job with publicity is revisionist history. To suggest that developers would not like an alternative to the big two is also not true, but supporting a untried new platform was not made easy enough. Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram are service providers and should not be lumped together with developers (i.e. ISVs). Adobe has and Microsoft is working on the transition to becoming a service provider, just to be clear. Nothing is inevitable, just harder.
    I fully agree that Blackberry is to blame for the BB10 failure, but the past is the past. It's as if people think if they talk about it enough it will somehow reverse itself.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    12-15-15 05:03 PM
    But you also suggest that it's over. Because so few are even aware of the BB10 product, with some work (development and PR) it could be reintroduced as new. We'll see if BBRY learned anything with how they handle the introduction of the Priv. Would rather they practice with Android then with BB10.

I would like to see a product where I can actually decide what services are available and chose what provider delivers them.
    12-15-15 05:19 PM
    Sure I know of blackberry's efforts, the app generator was an absolute joke. If anything it scared people away. Seemed everything they did was a very half-assed effort. If not for the fact that I love how BB10 works I would have left long ago. Blackberry as a company really needs to be sold off. Hopefully someone might decide to preserve the OS and shield some of the patents from Google... but likely it would be Google that would buy them with all that cash at hand.
    I think BB10 is a great OS also but a great OS needs more for most. It would have been great had they got big developer attention but alas they didn't.
    12-15-15 05:47 PM
    Amen. It's like a revolving door.
    Amen, too many Google fans in a BlackBerry forum...oh wait, which side are you on again?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 06:19 PM
    Amen, too many Google fans in a BlackBerry forum...oh wait, which side are you on again?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not on a side, too mature to pick an inanimate object as something to defend.

Sabres fan? Watching the game?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-15-15 06:21 PM
    I'm not on a side, too mature to pick an inanimate object as something to defend.

Sabres fan? Watching the game?
    I agree with you there.

It's in between periods, but yes, I'm actually watching with NHL app on my z30 (plugged into TV hdmi). I did have to ignore the Google Play Services message when I started the app

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 06:54 PM
    Something that is a conduit for many aspects of a person's life goes beyond an inanimate object and it is about a tool that helps people to defend themselves against the misuse of their life information.
    Last edited by DonHB; 12-15-15 at 08:30 PM.
    12-15-15 07:40 PM
    Something that is a conduit for many aspects of a person's life goes beyond an inanimate object and it is about a tool that defends people.
    A tool, perhaps, but still lifeless and certainly not worth defending.
    12-15-15 08:02 PM
    Something that is a conduit for many aspects of a person's life goes beyond an inanimate object and it is about a tool that defends people.
    So your phone is dressing up in tights and patrolling the city at night, Is that what you are telling us?
    12-15-15 08:08 PM
505 ... 1415161718 ...