This is 2007 and quite interesting as someone whose never seen it before

http://classic.marshall.usc.edu/assets/025/7543.pdf

The most interesting points for me;

It wasn't any power spec that Apple drove differentiation on but rather on a new form factor

The perception was that Apple was targeting different users from BlackBerry users, and didn't pose any threat to BlackBerry except from a brand and reputation standpoint

Edit; Also, an intense advertising push - to the extent of a conspiracy years later, all other phones post the first iphone were compared against the iphone

I don't think BlackBerry sold its soul, I think it lost it, and is fighting hard to try and get it back

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tinochiko; 12-15-15 at 07:00 AM.
    12-15-15 04:50 AM
    I still do not understand why BB cannot make BB10 available on the Priv for those that want it. They don't even need to sell it as a separate device. Simply have an option inside Link that would push down the BB10 OS if you want it and there you go. Most of the heavy lifting for such an option is already done. BB10 would likely need only the hardware drivers and maybe some slight tweaks and that should be it. This would make (almost) everyone happy.
    It's nice to think it would be that easy, but I imagine it's not that easy,

But the most influential reason they're not doing it is probably to give android a proper go and not 'confuse' users

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 04:52 AM
    It's nice to think it would be that easy, but I imagine it's not that easy,

But the most influential reason they're not doing it is probably to give android a proper go and not 'confuse' users

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is the reason!

Posted via Passport
    12-15-15 04:59 AM
    So many clowns in this world! Intelligence is already less than 1% now a days! How Ironic BB10 is not good for people but good for law enforcement and agencies

Posted via Passport
    Intelligence is already less than 1% now a days? What are you even on about oh my word.

Android and iOS are also used by law enforcement and agencies around the world, there goes whatever point you were trying to make...

Oh, by the way, its not just law enforcement that use Androids and iOS, but also the Education sector, Aviation, Medical industry, Engineering, Financial etc etc...

The whole "BB is for business" excuse was lost long ago as many use iOS and Android e.g. Samsung Galaxy devices with Knox.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    12-15-15 05:26 AM
    This is 2007 and quite interesting as someone whose never seen it before

http://classic.marshall.usc.edu/assets/025/7543.pdf

The most interesting points for me;

It wasn't any power spec that Apple drove differentiation on but rather on a new form factor

The perception was that Apple was targeting different users from BlackBerry users, and didn't pose any threat to BlackBerry except from a brand and reputation standpoint

I don't think BlackBerry sold its soul, I think it lost it, and is fighting hard to try and get it back

Posted via CB10
    I've been saying that since the iPhone came out. The original iPhone was horrible and anyone who doesn't revise history knows this. It blew up because of capacitive touch and hipsters (lol). People talk about apps but their was no app store until the 3G. Shoot, they were using web apps. If RIM didn't rest on their laurels, they could have DESTROYED the iPhone before it even started to gain steam. But that's how things fall sometimes..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-15-15 06:56 AM
    Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Blame it all on the lack of marketing. It's the easy way out.
    Amazing how many believe that.
    JeepBB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-15-15 07:13 AM
    Intelligence is already less than 1% now a days? What are you even on about oh my word.

Android and iOS are also used by law enforcement and agencies around the world, there goes whatever point you were trying to make...

Oh, by the way, its not just law enforcement that use Androids and iOS, but also the Education sector, Aviation, Medical industry, Engineering, Financial etc etc...

The whole "BB is for business" excuse was lost long ago as many use iOS and Android e.g. Samsung Galaxy devices with Knox.
    Yes most of presidents use BlackBerry and FYI BlackBerry 10 is now dedicated for law enforcement!

Posted via Passport
    12-15-15 10:19 AM
    Yes most of presidents use BlackBerry and FYI BlackBerry 10 is now dedicated for law enforcement!

Posted via Passport
    Not in all countries

Many use Android and iOS.
    12-15-15 10:25 AM
    Not in all countries

Many use Android and iOS.
    Actually what countries?
    12-15-15 10:35 AM
    Actually what countries?
    In the UK for example, some of the cops use Galaxy Notes:
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-police-r...phones-1472823
    and certified for government use
    http://betanews.com/2015/07/21/samsu...uk-government/
    12-15-15 10:42 AM
    Amazing how many believe that.
    You blame the "app gap"?

How many people know BB10 can run android apps?
    What if more people went to BB10, how would the devs react?
    I feel the app gap we have today is partially the result of poor marketing.
    Jahcure likes this.
    12-15-15 10:50 AM
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-police-r...phones-1472823
    http://betanews.com/2015/07/21/samsu...uk-government/
    However (in the UK) BlackBerry market share in general was increasing by last count

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 11:06 AM

Posted via Passport
    Current US prez now uses iPhone.

Yes... BlackBerry has even grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory there...

Posted via CB10
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-15-15 11:12 AM
    UK Police Replace Traditional Notebooks with Samsung Galaxy Note Smartphones
    Samsung's Galaxy S6 is secure-enough for UK government
    Thanks but I actually meant what countries prescribe bb10 for law enforcement exclusively?
    I'm certain its not all of them.
    Also pretty sure that its a fairly insignificant number.
    Anyway the burden of proof is on the OP.
    12-15-15 11:13 AM
    Thanks but I actually meant what countries prescribe bb10 for law enforcement exclusively?
    I'm certain its not all of them.
    Also pretty sure that its a fairly insignificant number.
    Anyway the burden of proof is on the OP.
    Yep, should have asked BB_PP.
    12-15-15 11:15 AM
    I didn't want to actually. The answer would be just as outrageous as you would expect.
    12-15-15 11:26 AM
    I didn't want to actually. The answer would be just as outrageous as you would expect.
    LOL!

The last I heard of a leader using a BB was the German Chancellor a few years ago, but if I'm not mistaken they use some other phone now, the Blackphone if I'm not mistaken? Can't remember.
    12-15-15 11:47 AM
    You blame the "app gap"?

How many people know BB10 can run android apps?
    What if more people went to BB10, how would the devs react?
    I feel the app gap we have today is partially the result of poor marketing.
    Oh. The Amazon app store isn't and wasn't a fix. Neither is snap or cobalts Google play for the majority of people.

And did you miss all the portathons, cash and other things BlackBerry did to entice and bribe developers? The big ones weren't interested even though porting was said to be easy. What they ended up with was 10,000 apps for...... that did absolutely nothing but tell you about a real app.
    DINGSTER1 and JeepBB like this.
    12-15-15 12:06 PM
    It is said by JC and I didn't say they are using I said now on!

Posted via Passport
    12-15-15 12:24 PM
    12-15-15 12:33 PM
    LOL!
    pkcable likes this.
    12-15-15 12:35 PM
    I'm talking pre Priv and speculated OHA bound Blackberry. My understanding is that Google services only allow update notifications and permissions to core functions like GPS. Is this something the app developers have to code around or simply submit pre compiled apps to Google? If its the latter wouldn't a campaign to break free from Google by using Blackberry services (compiler for Amazon) that allow access to the same features on non OHA compliant devices be a good idea? Win for consumer choice, win for Amazon and win for Blackberry.
    Google Play Services is a bunch of API's that do many many things. If you use them you can do many things that would take hrs and hrs of code in a few lines.

"Google Play services gives you the freedom to use the newest APIs for popular Google services without worrying about device support. Updates to Google Play services are distributed automatically by the Google Play Store and new versions of the client library are delivered through the Android SDK Manager. This makes it easy for you to focus on what's important: your users' experience."

You say let's do a campaign to break free from Google. Why? Why would any developer want to do that? Google gives them value. The value of 1 BILLION active using the Google play store where using the Google play services API make sure that there apps get access to the newest improvements and APIs regardless if the device is Android 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5, and now 6. There are a few things that says version 6 OS phones can do that Google Play Services still can't enable but 90% or more can. Amazon already makes it "easy-ish" to port Android apps to Amazon's store which wouldn't have the Google play servicers buy why? Why spend the time for such a small amount of possible customers? Why break up the code base? Now I have 2x the work. I'd be better served making a kick *** tablet app then make another Android app that isn't targeted at the Google Play Store.

You are Anti Google. Most of the buying public is NOT. 1 Billion strong Google play store users tells devs that they should utilize anything that makes there app work with Google Play store. On top of that it's so much EASIER and BETTER CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE to use it.

1. Google Cloud backup (a few lines of code that lets the users data save games backup to the cloud so if they play a game on the phone it will be at the same spot on their Android tablet.
    2. There is a game center api which lets a game made have achiments and score boards where you and your friends can square off. There is a multiplayer api that you can verse someone in a game. Again with a few lines of code.
    There are lots of things Googles API gave access to that make no just games but real apps so much better and so much quicker to code and enables syncing between many devices.
    There is nothing BB can give developers to incentivise them to build for BB10 even porting Android apps or having them not use Google play services APIs. Sorry.
    Ronindan, kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    12-15-15 12:55 PM
    Either I don't fully understand enough or I am not explaining well.
    From what I understand Google services are built in using API strings referencing services pre installed on each device. This would be done at the compile stage and point to lines such as "'com.google.android.gmslay-services-fitness:8.3.0'" to access a specific core function. Now Blackberry would offer an Amazon/non OHA device compiler that looks for these strings and offers substitute code, maybe with variables for multiple service options.
    Again.. I am far from a programmer so my logic might be flawed.
    Sure that is something that could be offered. The devs don't have to use Google play services to make apps. This is the part that is flawed with your thinking.

1. Your want Android devs to make apps that run on BB10 with Android runtime. If the devs are currently making apps for Android they "DON"T HAVE A BIAS AGAINST THEM" as YOU DO.

That is your flaw in thinking. Android devs don't mistrust Google. Most of them (making the apps) are choose this (program for Android) because they WANT TO. They like Google. They might even love Google. Like many iOS programmers love Apple. Love what they stand for. Even a big company like Facebook has a team of Android coders who could have chosen to code any language they wanted but choose to code Android

So why would they want to get away from Google when they like or in some cases love Google? If you say for "privacy" your done. You don't get it. You never will.
    Ronindan and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    12-15-15 01:09 PM
    Yes, you are the only smart one. I've hard that statement from gun nuts to people with bomb shelters and people who arm up waiting for the government to come take their property. The fact is there are over 1 Billion active users using the Google play store downloading apps, being "mined for data" as you say and less that 0.5% have issues with bad software. Google's been using customer data to place ads with it's customers for going on 10 years now and has never been linking to any massive data breach of that data. It's in their interest to secure that as if it was fort knox with gold bars in it. Why? It has gold bars in it. Keeping that data locked up for only them to use for placing ads and using that data to make more great services has not only allowed them to put 60 Billion in cash but to make them one the premier services company in the world. Google now which is their killer app on android puts them clearly ahead of any phone OS out. You can say security this and security that but in the end Google's secures it's customers data and provide their customers a reason to WANT to use their services and allow them to take their data. There are 100s of millions of customers who are ALL IN on Google services because of how well they work and how they simplify their life. You can choose not to use this but you are like the Amish or the person with a stocked bomb shelter who decide they know better than everyone else and miss out on the joys of living in 2015 / 2016.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    12-15-15 01:26 PM
    Oh. The Amazon app store isn't and wasn't a fix. Neither is snap or cobalts Google play for the majority of people.

And did you miss all the portathons, cash and other things BlackBerry did to entice and bribe developers? The big ones weren't interested even though porting was said to be easy. What they ended up with was 10,000 apps for...... that did absolutely nothing but tell you about a real app.
    The little push Blackberry had to bring devs to BB10 was still working with just about zero consumer awareness. Sure we saw it and some of the devs might have got wind but the consumer sure didnt. Why would the devs be attracted by this short term encentive when Blackberry was still doing nothing to restore its brand image and bring in new users.
    12-15-15 02:05 PM
505 ... 1314151617 ...