What exactly should they have marketed? "An invisible ecosystem? I've held onto BB10 devices, but they've gone from tools and become toys. I've gone from Android LG G2 as toy distraction to a tool I've had to use because I actually needed Google Play Services to access location via customer app. So because everyone uses IOS or Android, I have to. BB10 is like having a fax machine or Motorola startac when everyone was using a BlackBerry in the beginning...

Posted via CB10
    Good luck! Enjoy your choice

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 04:40 PM
    They can give and take, but not OUR datas... ;-P

They are supposed to keep them secure and priv-vate...

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    The best security is the person holding the phone.
    You asked for Android and got it. Use it wisely and enjoy. Life is too short.
    12-13-15 04:42 PM
    Back on topic.

BlackBerry's compromise in order to get access to apps and survive financially is a good move to save the company, but what about their "traditional" users concerns...?

We need trustworthy options on the Priv and subsequent models to control the flow of information, and the ability to turn on or OFF any of the Google services we do not want to partake of or participate in. Thank you Google, thank you BlackBerry.

So, it doesn't seem that BlackBerry has joined the OHA, but they have a separate agreement with Google, which can be negotiated. :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Nah, BlackBerry is most likely an OHA member. Don't expect any special concessions. It all worked out EXACTLY like folks guessed: no concurrently released new devices with a non-GPS Android variant, etc.

Simply put, BlackBerry can't afford to pay any attention to the traditionalists. Doing so almost bankrupted it, so, as unpalatable as it sounds, one can expect BBRY to lean towards users of other platforms.

The move to Android is a strategic capitulation.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-13-15 05:10 PM
    They can give and take, but not OUR datas... ;-P

They are supposed to keep them secure and priv-vate...

BBRY does take our data, and has looked for ways to monetize it -- as every company does or tries to.
    Jerry A likes this.
    12-13-15 05:12 PM
    The best security is the person holding the phone.
    You asked for Android and got it. Use it wisely and enjoy. Life is too short.
    Please omit one word from your comments "Android" or "wisely"

Posted via Passport
    12-14-15 01:51 AM
    Anyone know why they didn't improve the android runtime and simply advertise the fact that it can run all non Google dependent android apps? I feel given the right exposure a BB10 device with improved runtime would outsell the priv with even much older hardware. No one seems to know that android apps do run on BB10. I had to go to the T-Mobile store to help my mother chose a device. in front of the rep my phone rang so I wipped out my passport and the rep tried to convince me to "upgrade" to an android device. The device he pointed out had lower specs and very poor battery life. He began his pitch with "You have no apps for that". I responded by showing him Snap and the full catalog of android apps. He named off a few as a challenge and I quickly downloaded, installed and had each app running without a problem. He quickly conceded and asked why Blackberry doesn't advertise this and said they would sell a ton of them. We both shrugged and went on with helping my mother.
    12-14-15 06:45 AM
    Anyone know why they didn't improve the android runtime and simply advertise the fact that it can run all non Google dependent android apps?
    Because going forward, the lack of Google Play Services was becoming a big problem, as more and more apps started using them. Even my banking app needs them now. Since this issue was never going to be solved due to OHA rules, BlackBerry made the switch to Android. Now that they have, they can no longer develop or update the Runtime because of OHA rules. (You can't sell a pure Android device, and another device with a forked version of Android at the same time.)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and asherN like this.
    12-14-15 07:20 AM
    Please omit one word from your comments "Android" or "wisely"

Posted via Passport
    If you're not able to then that makes perfect sense.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-14-15 07:43 AM
    Because going forward, the lack of Google Play Services was becoming a big problem, as more and more apps started using them. Even my banking app needs them now. Since this issue was never going to be solved due to OHA rules, BlackBerry made the switch to Android. Now that they have, they can no longer develop or update the Runtime because of OHA rules. (You can't sell a pure Android device, and another device with a forked version of Android at the same time.)
    Going forward.... that might be true. But 18 months ago, 12 months ago, 6 months ago.... I think it was more of a decision to not "waste" resources on the BB10 platform. From what some have said going to Android 5.0 would have been a major development cost for BlackBerry and would have required that BB10 receive a major amount of work. Some have even indicated that the plan was to do this with the 64Bit upgrade (that we were suppose to get last year). Whatever the timeline "was", I think Chen killed it when he came on board.

I think it would be very interesting to know just what all got cut when Chen was forced to start his "company saving" cost cutting. And what the true focus of the company was when he took over (other than to just find a way to make money).
    crackberry_geek and DonHB like this.
    12-14-15 08:18 AM
    I'm talking pre Priv and speculated OHA bound Blackberry. My understanding is that Google services only allow update notifications and permissions to core functions like GPS. Is this something the app developers have to code around or simply submit pre compiled apps to Google? If its the latter wouldn't a campaign to break free from Google by using Blackberry services (compiler for Amazon) that allow access to the same features on non OHA compliant devices be a good idea? Win for consumer choice, win for Amazon and win for Blackberry.
    12-14-15 08:19 AM
    If you're not able to then that makes perfect sense.
    In Android case nobody able to

Posted via Passport
    12-14-15 08:33 AM
    In Android case nobody able to

Posted via Passport
    Many people can and do, but that's their choice. Android allows people to do anything with it, but it's not for everyone or obviously you. That doesn't make it bad.
    Tsepz_GP and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-14-15 08:36 AM
    Just bring it up to him when you two are at lunch later today.
    Just remember everyone - when you have lunch dates with Chen, be sure to dictate specifications you want in the device, even if you have no idea how you'll benefit from them, never use them and never find an app that will take advantage of them!
    12-14-15 08:37 AM
    Just remember everyone - when you have lunch dates with Chen, be sure to dictate specifications you want in the device, even if you have no idea how you'll benefit from them, never use them and never find an app that will take advantage of them!
    I'll be sure do that when we have breakfast later this week.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-14-15 08:39 AM
    I'm talking pre Priv and speculated OHA bound Blackberry. My understanding is that Google services only allow update notifications and permissions to core functions like GPS. Is this something the app developers have to code around or simply submit pre compiled apps to Google? If its the latter wouldn't a campaign to break free from Google by using Blackberry services (compiler for Amazon) that allow access to the same features on non OHA compliant devices be a good idea? Win for consumer choice, win for Amazon and win for Blackberry.
    Google Play Services provide a whole suite of things, like access to location, maps, Google Drive, Google+, cast, wallet, etc. These are all proprietary, so BlackBerry cannot just reproduce them. I don't think you would be allowed to spoof all of the requests, and provide your own replacements without violating regulations.
    12-14-15 08:42 AM
    Google Play Services provide a whole suite of things, like access to location, maps, Google Drive, Google+, cast, wallet, etc. These are all proprietary, so BlackBerry cannot just reproduce them. I don't think you would be allowed to spoof all of the requests, and provide your own replacements without violating regulations.
    You don't really need to spoof them or even use Google's services. Other than wallet we have everything else required. A package that detects code written for google maps can easily give alternative options depending on the platform it is developed for. I don't see why a dev wouldn't want an app to be universal vs locked onto to Google services. Even if only 20% of the world uses devices that cannot use the service its still 20% more exposure.
    DonHB likes this.
    12-14-15 08:50 AM
    Anyone know why they didn't improve the android runtime and simply advertise the fact that it can run all non Google dependent android apps? I feel given the right exposure a BB10 device with improved runtime would outsell the priv with even much older hardware.
    Pitchman: New and Improved BB10 can run "non Google dependent android apps"!

Typical Person: <inner monologue>What are "non Google dependent...zzzzzzzz"?</inner monologue>
    Typical Person: <inner monologue>Now where was I? Oh yeah... TV!</inner monologue>
    12-14-15 09:06 AM

Typical Person: <inner monologue>What are "non Google dependent...zzzzzzzz"?</inner monologue>
    Typical Person: <inner monologue>Now where was I? Oh yeah... TV!</inner monologue>
    Pitch would be same as the Priv minus the lies.
    Small print can include unavailability of Google services dependent apps. We all know Google services can be made to work in the runtime and this was achieved with only <1% of the markets interest.
    12-14-15 09:11 AM

Typical Person: Where's Snapchat?
    12-14-15 09:12 AM
    You don't really need to spoof them or even use Google's services. Other than wallet we have everything else required. A package that detects code written for google maps can easily give alternative options depending on the platform it is developed for. I don't see why a dev wouldn't want an app to be universal vs locked onto to Google services. Even if only 20% of the world uses devices that cannot use the service its still 20% more exposure.
    Yes you do have to spoof the calls. The apps have signature checking built-in, to verify the authenticity of the Google Play Services that are installed. This spoofing would be illegal.
    12-14-15 09:12 AM
    Yes you do have to spoof the calls. The apps have signature checking built-in, to verify the authenticity of the Google Play Services that are installed. This spoofing would be illegal.
    Either I don't fully understand enough or I am not explaining well.
    From what I understand Google services are built in using API strings referencing services pre installed on each device. This would be done at the compile stage and point to lines such as "'com.google.android.gmslay-services-fitness:8.3.0'" to access a specific core function. Now Blackberry would offer an Amazon/non OHA device compiler that looks for these strings and offers substitute code, maybe with variables for multiple service options.
    Again.. I am far from a programmer so my logic might be flawed.
    DonHB likes this.
    12-14-15 09:20 AM
    Either I don't fully understand enough or I am not explaining well.
    From what I understand Google services are built in using API strings referencing services pre installed on each device. This would be done at the compile stage and point to lines such as "'com.google.android.gmslay-services-fitness:8.3.0'" to access a specific core function. Now Blackberry would offer an Amazon/non OHA device compiler that looks for these strings and offers substitute code, maybe with variables for multiple service options.
    Again.. I am far from a programmer so my logic might be flawed.
    As I said before, an individual app (like Expedia) performs a validation check on the authenticity of the installed Google Play Services. If it fails, it returns a warning, or terminates the app.

This is what patching is all about with Cobalt's modified Google Play Services.
    12-14-15 09:27 AM
    [INFO]Before my Mods get in trouble, *I* changed the title. Fixed the type plus turned it into a question for debate rather than a statement, thought it read better that way. [/INFO]
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-14-15 09:28 AM
    As I said before, an individual app (like Expedia) performs a validation check on the authenticity of the installed Google Play Services. If it fails, it returns a warning, or terminates the app.

This is what patching is all about with Cobalt's modified Google Play Services.
    I am not talking about post compiled APKs. I am talking about an option for Devs to use the exact same project and simply compile with no modifications at all to a universal app store as well as Google.
    DonHB likes this.
    12-14-15 09:31 AM
    Many people can and do, but that's their choice. Android allows people to do anything with it, but it's not for everyone or obviously you. That doesn't make it bad.
    No that doesn't make it bad really! It's one's choice and we should honour that

Posted via Passport
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-14-15 09:31 AM
505 ... 1112131415 ...