Not once BlackBerry starts selling handsets to the inhabitants of Mars. That's where the real $ is! It's like a 3rd world state over there. BlackBerry can dominate the low end entry market with BlackBerry 7 phones and make a killing from the local Martians. After the saturated market over here hears how well they are selling over there then it will spread back to us here because by then Noone will remember the down spiral BlackBerry was in and want to get in on the action to see what this whole "BlackBerry " thing is all about.

Slogan will read:

*BlackBerry, pushing email, now in an interstellar capacity *

Posted Via CB10 using the power of "Q"

Yes, but I am afraid that since you have to sideload the Martian weather apps it means that BB won't do well there.
    12-24-13 10:12 AM
    Damn, and here I thought I had considered all possibilities of failure and crossed all the "i's" and dotted all the "t's"...

Posted Via CB10 using the power of "Q"
    12-24-13 10:20 AM
    Of course you're right. I mean Samsung is a great example of a US conglomerate really doing, oh wait, Nevermind. But you're right about VZW and AT&T. BB did well in the past since they weren't around then, um, okay, that doesn't work either I suppose. But certainly you're right, I mean Verizon isn't even carrying the Z30...... Hmm, that really isn't working either is it. Okay, I got one more, BB are increasing market share everywhere except the US! Well, except for Europe and Asia I guess. Oh Nevermind.
    US mobile market is run by Google, Microsoft and Apple. End of story. There is no Samsung without Android and there is no Nokia without Windows Phone as the yesterday has thought us.

And if you wanna go back in the day when the whole world was rocking Nokia, Ericsson, Panasonic and Sony Ericsson, US carriers offered some Motorola custom made garbage together with some, I don't know what those were, rebranded handsets.
    Where was the first color screen handset ever T68 in US? Not offered! Had to wait a whole year for VoiceStream/T-Mobile to offer a T68i. Where was the first 3G phone Z1010? Never ever landed in US. Or how about a Sony Z first phone with integrated voicemail on board? Or what about original Sony Z1? ... Nope! But sure you had your Startac, Handsprings and Kyoceras. Awesome!
    At least Cingular was smart enough to order their own version of T610.
    12-24-13 10:24 AM
    Perhaps you didn't quite read the message you are replying to. Buwee clearly stated: "Now, whether they buy BB's or not is another question but they (china) will have the LARGEST subscriber base in the world ..." This statement does not require evidence that 'the Chinese market will go en masse to Blackberry'. - He simply arguing that US market is not the only market to be concerned with.

The US market is not the largest market for cellphones; it is China followed by India, then followed by USA. Obviously USA is a huge and important market, however it is NOT the largest, and to many companies it is NOT the most important.

Blackberry isnt ditching the US market because they dont think its important, they are focusing on other markets where they have a chance to gain traction. BB would obviously love nothing more than to do well in the US/Canada market, but clearly that hasnt been going very well for them.

I think there is a bit of confusion over the word 'focus' . Focusing on a market does not imply discounting another.

OK, let's go with that. China is an expanding market whereas the U.S. and Canada have reached or are very near reaching saturation.

OK....so the U.S. market and Canada are not important. The important market is China.

OK....so what evidence is there that the Chinese market will go en masse to BlackBerry? Apple has been courting China recently. The largest Chinese carrier is now offering the iPhone. What if the Chinese also go with Apple? The divide between BlackBerry and Apple, or Samsung for that matter, will continue to grow.

It is not in BlackBerry's best interest to discount any market, anywhere. The U.S. market and the Canadian market are in fact important.
    12-24-13 10:27 AM
    Im pretty sure number sold is equally important as net profit. Think about that for a second. In fact a simple example will illustrate;

(pretend figures)

phone x - 10 sold, profit of $1 on each, net profit $10
    phone y - 1 sold, profit of $9 on each, net profit $9

see?

Also, "If it fails in NA it will fail world wide" ... Nope.

Not about number sold...it's about net profit per unit sold. If it fails in NA, it will fail worldwide.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    12-24-13 10:35 AM
    Any way you slice it, this approach will be the eventual death of handsets for Blackberry. This will guarantee their market will be extremely small, and that it will be too cost in-efficient to continue making phones for such a small market (unless they charge a premium - and then you'll be scaring off a lot of people there). If you think BBs market is small now, wait to see how small it is then.

Coming soon: RIP Blackberry handsets.
    poppycock... there is a market for $400 computers, there is a market for $3000. BlackBerry erroneously underwhelmed their core audience: Chen sounds like he's committed to not making that mistake again. Get the numbers right and you succeed and profit. whether or not the measure of success meets arbitrary criteria is another matter.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 10:39 AM
    Im pretty sure number sold is equally important as net profit. Think about that for a second. In fact a simple example will illustrate;

(pretend figures)

phone x - 10 sold, profit of $1 on each, net profit $10
    phone y - 1 sold, profit of $9 on each, net profit $9

see?

Also, "If it fails in NA it will fail world wide" ... Nope.
    The problem is that the figures are pretend. For a better comparison look at Apples profits versus that of manufacturers which make cheap Android handsets. Clearly both matter, number and profit per unit sold, but the room for profit per unit sold is vastly higher in North America and Europe than in the rest of the world. And don't forget that BB's market share is tanking in Europe also.
    12-24-13 10:43 AM
    No they haven't and the only way anyone could reach that conclusion is to have cotton in their ears during the conference call. John Chen reiterated constantly that they weren't abandoning anyone, but that their sales and design focus would be on enterprise. That means little or no advertising/pandering to consumer market. That DOES NOT mean you will not be able to purchase a BlackBerry phone nor does it mean their phones will suck. In many ways the designs of their best phones were "focused" on the enterprise segment.

Also, you cannot expect a CEO to go into that much granularity on a conference call. When he referred to North American he was likely largely referring to the US market. Mexican and Canadian markets would have different strategies as they are totally different markets (Mexico for obvious reasons, Canada for less obvious).

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    12-24-13 11:16 AM
    @gadgettravel

Partially agreed. However, there is much money to be made in high volume, lower margin sales. Which is the point I was making.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 11:37 AM
    @gadgettravel

Partially agreed. However, there is much money to be made in high volume, lower margin sales. Which is the point I was making.

Posted via CB10
    In general that is possible, but BB have yet to demonstrate they can build a low cost phone (their cost). That is part of the problem. Also, I don't think any of the companies making cheap Android phones are actually making money selling them.
    12-24-13 12:36 PM
    US mobile market is run by Google, Microsoft and Apple. End of story. There is no Samsung without Android and there is no Nokia without Windows Phone as the yesterday has thought us.

And if you wanna go back in the day when the whole world was rocking Nokia, Ericsson, Panasonic and Sony Ericsson, US carriers offered some Motorola custom made garbage together with some, I don't know what those were, rebranded handsets.
    Where was the first color screen handset ever T68 in US? Not offered! Had to wait a whole year for VoiceStream/T-Mobile to offer a T68i. Where was the first 3G phone Z1010? Never ever landed in US. Or how about a Sony Z first phone with integrated voicemail on board? Or what about original Sony Z1? ... Nope! But sure you had your Startac, Handsprings and Kyoceras. Awesome!
    At least Cingular was smart enough to order their own version of T610.
    Wow, someone should tell Microsoft. All this time they have been panicked about not succeeding in the mobile market. Who knew. For that matter who knew Samsung had to give all of their profits to Google. You can learn so much here.
    12-24-13 12:38 PM
    Yes they have not been able to build a low cost phone.. Hence foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 01:44 PM
    This is just a nice way of saying that Blackberry intends to do with the Z & Q10....
    ...What they did with the Blackberry Playbook.
    ...At least they are now being honest with the Rick Roll.
    12-24-13 01:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep. And it may work out. Although it is tough to be very confident given BB's record of execution in recent years. We shall see in due time.
    12-24-13 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    And how does this fit within BBRY's clearly stated objective of focusing on enterprise? Or will it be enterprise in North America and Western Europe and consumer everywhere else or will it be cheap enterprise? This is all a guessing game and, frankly, based on what Chen has said, I very much doubt he knows at this stage in which direction he wants to take the company either.
    12-24-13 02:01 PM
    And how does this fit within BBRY's clearly stated objective of focusing on enterprise? Or will it be enterprise in North America and Western Europe and consumer everywhere else or will it be cheap enterprise? This is all a guessing game and, frankly, based on what Chen has said, I very much doubt he knows at this stage in which direction he wants to take the company either.

Although in fairness they may have figured out that to maintain their presence in enterprise, which is by no means certain, they need to undercut Apple price wise.
    12-24-13 02:05 PM
    Sorry to burst the bubble here, but in the USA it's not about Blackberry ditching the USA, but more like the USA ditching Blackberry.

If you honestly think the future economy is China, you are sadly being mislead. The market in China has been dominated by Android and they have their own companies producing high quality devices and a very low cost.

One one of recent business trips to Asia I was amazed at the availability of Android devices and I not talking about the cheap knockoffs, I am talking major manufacturers like Samsung, Nokia and HTC along with ones by companies in China.

Apple also has a large presence there and you can say what you want but they like Apple products.

Blackberrys main mission in the future should be rebuilding their brand name and getting the consumer something they want to buy.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5S
    12-24-13 03:25 PM
    Perhaps you didn't quite read the message you are replying to. Buwee clearly stated: "Now, whether they buy BB's or not is another question but they (china) will have the LARGEST subscriber base in the world ..." This statement does not require evidence that 'the Chinese market will go en masse to Blackberry'. - He simply arguing that US market is not the only market to be concerned with.

The US market is not the largest market for cellphones; it is China followed by India, then followed by USA. Obviously USA is a huge and important market, however it is NOT the largest, and to many companies it is NOT the most important.

Blackberry isnt ditching the US market because they dont think its important, they are focusing on other markets where they have a chance to gain traction. BB would obviously love nothing more than to do well in the US/Canada market, but clearly that hasnt been going very well for them.

I think there is a bit of confusion over the word 'focus' . Focusing on a market does not imply discounting another.
    Perhaps you did not understand that I took what he said to expand upon.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    12-24-13 03:27 PM
    Yes, I believe so.
    12-24-13 03:42 PM
    Who knows.. like gadget says, time will tell

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 05:07 PM
    Perhaps you did not understand that I took what he said to expand upon.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    Fair enuf, apologies if I was abrupt

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 05:17 PM
    Wow, someone should tell Microsoft. All this time they have been panicked about not succeeding in the mobile market. Who knew. For that matter who knew Samsung had to give all of their profits to Google. You can learn so much here.
    I don't know why I am even discussing this with you, when you grow up you will realize a thing or two. In the mean time why don't you try Samsung and Nokia's own OSes Bada-bing-bling and Asha. You know those small budget phones "that don't make any profit"
    12-24-13 07:29 PM
    I don't know why I am even discussing this with you, when you grow up you will realize a thing or two. In the mean time why don't you try Samsung and Nokia's own OSes Bada-bing-bling and Asha. You know those small budget phones "that don't make any profit"
    Do you have a point? Who was talking about small budget phones?
    12-24-13 08:45 PM
    So Chen says they aren't developing high end phones for North America for now. So to answer the thread, yes BlackBerry is at least temporarily dead in the North America, guess it's time to consider other options. Doubt I can convince my employer to keep BES server now.
    12-25-13 01:06 PM
    So Chen says they aren't developing high end phones for North America for now. So to answer the thread, yes BlackBerry is at least temporarily dead in the North America, guess it's time to consider other options. Doubt I can convince my employer to keep BES server now.
    *re you saying the BlackBerry Z10/30 and BlackBerry Q5/10 are not high-end smartphones? The Q10 is the next generation Bold 9900. The Q5 is the next generation Curve and Bold 9700/9780/9790 in a single smartphone. The Z10/30 are the next generation Torch. Any of these smartphones will meet the various user types most organisations are likely to cater from a mobile communications perspective. In my opinion BlackBerry needs to stop producing new models for at least 2 years with the exception of the ultra-inexpensive Jakarta which should be labelled the C-family (C1) so as not to diminish the Q-family.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-25-13 01:40 PM
259 ... 7891011