What Chen has done with Foxconn is to simply reel in the per unit cost. Jakarta is merely the the sample unit.

Sent from the phone of the gods.....Z30
    12-25-13 01:44 PM
    True. Which is the reason I'm waiting for the Note 4 to replace my SGIII. The split window is something that I am sure will be better on the larger screen.
    Why don't you get a tab??

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 12:45 AM
    So Chen says they aren't developing high end phones for North America for now. So to answer the thread, yes BlackBerry is at least temporarily dead in the North America, guess it's time to consider other options. Doubt I can convince my employer to keep BES server now.
    They aren't dead, you can get it if you want it.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-26-13 12:47 AM
    So Chen says they aren't developing high end phones for North America for now. So to answer the thread, yes BlackBerry is at least temporarily dead in the North America, guess it's time to consider other options. Doubt I can convince my employer to keep BES server now.
    That is another problem, the BES servers. If those upgrades to current versions lag it is going to probably impact BB10 significantly.
    12-26-13 06:14 AM
    Why don't you get a tab??

Posted via CB10
    I've got an iPad I love. I'm thinking of getting the next one soon. My birthday?

I'm also waiting for the Note 4 when my upgrade comes around on my SGIII line.
    12-26-13 08:28 AM
    All of this is troubling for those of us who have supported BlackBerry in the US. I now have a Z10, which I love, but was expecting BlackBerry to actually try to sell BB10 in the US. They never did that; at least not with any competency. This leaves me with a phone that no else has; and the apps that I expected to develop won't be there. I'm not a big app person, but there are some that I reasonably expected to be there; like personal banking (TD) that I had on my legacy device. The fact that (as some have said) "you can get them [BlackBerry devices] if you want them" does nothing for the brand in US and does nothing for me as a BlackBerry supporter/user. BlackBerry will continue to die in the US vs gain any traction and those of us who stood by them will be left out in the cold. Might be time to look for an alternative. Sucks.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 10:50 AM
    Are there any good Boxing day/post xmas deals for the Z30, soon to be known as the last consumer phone by BB for north America?

Posted via CB10
    BBRYed likes this.
    12-26-13 11:28 AM
    Are there any good Boxing day/post xmas deals for the Z30, soon to be known as the last consumer phone by BB for north America?

Posted via CB10
    Last I checked Amazon had it for 530.
    12-26-13 11:51 AM
    All of this is troubling for those of us who have supported BlackBerry in the US. I now have a Z10, which I love, but was expecting BlackBerry to actually try to sell BB10 in the US. They never did that; at least not with any competency. This leaves me with a phone that no else has; and the apps that I expected to develop won't be there. I'm not a big app person, but there are some that I reasonably expected to be there; like personal banking (TD) that I had on my legacy device. The fact that (as some have said) "you can get them [BlackBerry devices] if you want them" does nothing for the brand in US and does nothing for me as a BlackBerry supporter/user. BlackBerry will continue to die in the US vs gain any traction and those of us who stood by them will be left out in the cold. Might be time to look for an alternative. Sucks.

Posted via CB10
    I have a Q10 and am looking for an alternative myself. It happens I suppose.
    12-26-13 01:52 PM
    To say that BlackBerry is "Ditching" consumers in the U.S. is simplistic.

Blackberry's short terms strategy is simply to focus on areas where it has the greatest likelihood of success. That focus in the short terms in on regulated markets: banking, government, military, etc.

What Chen actually said about consumers is more nuanced:

So, ultimately, Blackberry will rely on Foxconn to reach consumers. What this means is not very clear right now but I would guess the Foxconn's incentive in entering onto this deal was to market devices in the US under its own brand. "Blackberry by Foxconn?" "Foxconn with BB10?"
    Except you leave out the key part about North America. Turn it up and listen carefully..he gets uncomfortable when discussing it.

Poetry in Motion
    12-26-13 05:05 PM
    So they've now focused on enterprise, the consumer, the prosumer and now back to the enterprise. Next up, "we're going to focus on the prentsumerizer"

Twitter: xandermac
    12-26-13 10:35 PM
    I've got an iPad I love. I'm thinking of getting the next one soon. My birthday?

I'm also waiting for the Note 4 when my upgrade comes around on my SGIII line.
    Man don't waste so much money on tabs, get one simple option, instead get a mac.

Learn to code design and animate stuffs.
    Real deal.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:47 AM
    Man don't waste so much money on tabs, get one simple option, instead get a mac.

Real deal.

Posted via CB10

I have replaced my Mac Book Air for most of what I do with an iPad.
    12-27-13 07:09 AM

Real deal.

Posted via CB10
    Nah....iPad is perfect for me and my use.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    garnok likes this.
    12-27-13 08:25 AM
    Not about number sold...it's about net profit per unit sold. If it fails in NA, it will fail worldwide.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    seriously, you ever heard of Xiaomi? why you American have to be so ignorant?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 01:55 PM
    seriously, you ever heard of Xiaomi? why you American have to be so ignorant?

Posted via CB10
    What about it?
    Admorris likes this.
    12-27-13 04:48 PM
    You're always going to be able to go into a retail store and buy a BlackBerry. There will be more phones in 2014, and BlackBerry needs carriers to sell the phones because they provide the services.

By "focus on enterprise" Chen means focus in design and feature set.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 05:03 PM
    It's been a huge success in China, I guess the world exists beyond the borders of the United States of America.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:04 PM
    It's been a huge success in China, I guess the world exists beyond the borders of the United States of America.

Posted via CB10
    And your point? Why you non Americans have to be so ignorant

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    lnichols likes this.
    12-27-13 06:27 PM
    Well.. in terms of prudent business interests... yeah, BB should ditch the North American market. They won't break even in that market because they don't have the marketing clout. Even if they did, their reputation is soured, which means they'd have to throw more money at the problem. Screw NA, focus on where the success remains.

Where are they most popular? Not North America. Hell, I doubt they even spend much marketing where they *are* popular. They practically sell themselves on the other side of the world... of course that will change, but.. at least BB has their eye on some of the prize... opening up retail stores, developer initiatives, etc.. Get them poor peeps on the up and up, before Apple does!

The worrying thing is that BB is only popular in emerging markets because of BIS. BB can't sell BB10 devices in that market because they'll fail. Nobody in that market will buy a BB10 device, because it doesn't support BIS. Translation: Blackberry won't reap any profits from people in developing countries beyond what they already are reaping, because all their customers are just in it because they are cheap. The alternative for their customers is astronomical bills every month. So they just suck on BB's tit. Cuz it saves them money.

I'm sorry, but that's not a good business model, lol.. if Blackberry is counting on reversing their fortunes by catering to the poor, they should just sell out now. To someone like Microsoft, who might be stupid, but isn't stupid enough to cater to the lowest denominator. (but is still stupid enough to buy a market and milk it for the last drop or whatever it can, as long as the people remember the Microsoft brand!)

*besides, Microsoft has a history of overpaying for buyouts, relative to that company's stock

In summary: the poor on the other side of the world (eastern hemisphere, and possibly Southeasternish hemisphere ie South America), and the governments or corporations worldwide who might care about security (although there's nothing from stopping the competition from deploying the same secure environment, thus I'd be wary of making that a selling point)... are the only market(s) they have left.

Definitely not a brand that demands a 'premium' valuation, anymore. Marketing sells, not security. At least not if you want your company to survive in this day and age. And Blackberry can't spare any money for marketing.
    Last edited by BennyX; 12-27-13 at 06:57 PM.
    bmantz65 likes this.
    12-27-13 06:38 PM

Real deal.

Posted via CB10
    I was about to get the new iPad Mini and then I ordered the new Retina MacBook Pro instead. My mid 2009 MBP is on its last leg. Can't wait to get it.
    12-27-13 09:07 PM
    You're always going to be able to go into a retail store and buy a BlackBerry. There will be more phones in 2014, and BlackBerry needs carriers to sell the phones because they provide the services.

By "focus on enterprise" Chen means focus in design and feature set.

Posted via CB10
    Marketing too. The almost non-existent BB10 marketing will likely go to zero.

As long as I can buy new BlackBerries in the years to come I will stick with the company. Don't care if I'm the only guy on the street with one, I have never followed the crowd.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you know why analysts often refer to the USA market as crucial? It's because If a product succeeds in USA, this greatly increases the chances it will be successful worldwide. Therefore, USA has disproportionate influence relative to it's population. This is a fact, like it or not.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing this, in the context of the benefits BlackBerry would receive by gaining marketshare in USA.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    12-30-13 10:21 PM
    Pp

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 12:25 AM
    At the mall today in kelowna, Best Buy is sporting lots of BlackBerry handsets. Lots of bbs all over the mall.
    Good to see.

Sent from the phone of the gods.....Z30
    01-12-14 04:32 PM
259 ... 891011