This is a critical point. A huge number of apps were developed in the 2007-2011 or 2012 period. Perhaps even more importantly, people got used to using those apps. I think that gap is virtually impossible to overcome.
    Exactly, it will be impossible because they will be playing someone else's game just like they are doing right now. Instead of waiting for Viber to develop BB10 app use their API to integrate it into your own messaging platform. Yes it takes human resources and hours but availability out of the box means a lot. And best of all BBRY is in charge of the experience not Viber that most likely would offer Android experience on BB10 like Skype, between not having a service or having a clunky service I don't know what's worse.

Forget about consumption apps you will never ever has as many as iOS, concentrate on communication and content creation. That way you can have a community for yourself, or ecosystem as people are wording it now. BB Channels is a good start, very good start but it needs to go beyond that.
    collinc93 likes this.
    12-23-13 01:31 PM
    The question should be why did Canadian and U.S consumers ditch Blackberry ?

X

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-23-13 01:41 PM
    Yes, they will be able to make cheaper devices... and they will probably be able to better compete on price with the cheaper Android devices.

But I don't believe the Google Play support. Why would Google allow Blackberry (ie. the competition) access to Google Play when it could take away some of Android's marketshare. While I think that's just a pipe-dream that BB having access to Google Play will make much of a difference - I don't see Google allowing it anyway.

The Blackberry name is DIRT... MUD really. Most people will just avoid Blackberry altogether because of all the negative connotations associated with it. Plus, if people want access to the Android ecosystem - they'll buy an Android device. Simple as that.

Every step of the way since Blackberry tried to make a comeback with BB10, everyone here has been disappointed. Yet, there are those who still hold out hope - even though there's really no reason to believe it will get better. It will NOT work out... it's over.
    it is over you have moved on; yes thank you; we got it!!!
    ..buh bye!!
    see you!!
    sayonara!!
    Dont let the door hit....
    Ah!! bliss now let the rest of us who choose to stay enjoy it until we have to turn out the lights. Thank you and good night..
    12-23-13 01:51 PM
    q5? - its in most phone stores in winnipeg (Canada) - telus, rogers, etc
    Off-contract the BlackBerry Q5 is not inexpensive but I bought it because I miss the physical keyboard and I type faster on the physical keyboard compared to the virtual keyboard. Realistically, from a strictly get a BlackBerry 10 smartphone into the hands of end-users the BlackBerry Q5 should be priced USD250.00 off-contract even if the company has to eat a small loss per device. Subscription-based services directly from BlackBerry is the future revenue stream not handset sales. Once BlackBerry re-establishes itself the prices of mid-tier and premium-tier will carry a small profit ranging from 25% to 50% of retail.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-23-13 02:14 PM
    How often do you really need more than 8 apps open at anyone time? What are you trying to do? Idk about split screen either, maybe if you had it connected to a monitor with a mouse and keyboard.

Zed30
    On my Z never of course.

On every other phone, all the time. That is a choice some of us want. I know I do.

Split screen does not require a monitor. It works beautifully for multitasking, on its own.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    12-23-13 02:35 PM
    The title of this thread is stupid. There are millions who fiercely demand a Blackberry Phone who are consumers, prosumers or whatever and we will be able to get it too.
    You are kidding me right? Blackberry sold 1.1 million units in Q3 2013 and 4.3 million in Q2 2013. So saying that MILLIONS who demand a Blackberry phone is downright wrong since the sales numbers weren't even in the MILLIONS.
    12-23-13 02:46 PM
    You are kidding me right? Blackberry sold 1.1 million units in Q3 2013 and 4.3 million in Q2 2013. So saying that MILLIONS who demand a Blackberry phone is downright wrong since the sales numbers weren't even in the MILLIONS.
    4 million is in the millions. Not the millions that you were expecting lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-23-13 02:47 PM
    The fools that make up the bulk of the Canada and the US consumer market have ditched BlackBerry. It makes perfect sense for BlackBerry to ditch these apple loving unappreciative types. Whooooooooooosh! (That's the sound of a toilet flushing the "average" Canada/America consumer into the ios/andriod septic tank.)
    12-23-13 02:59 PM
    The fools that make up the bulk of the Canada and the US consumer market have ditched BlackBerry. It makes perfect sense for BlackBerry to ditch these apple loving unappreciative types. Whooooooooooosh! (That's the sound of a toilet flushing the "average" Canada/America consumer into the ios/andriod septic tank.)
    Hmm.... lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    12-23-13 03:19 PM
    Okie dokie
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-23-13 03:38 PM
    *checks calendar*
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-23-13 04:30 PM

Exactly what a company should do. The hell with them we don't need to sell more. They gave up on us so F em.
    12-23-13 05:18 PM
    People are taking Mr. Chen's statements out of context. In no way does he say he's abandoning the consumer space. What he is trying to explain is they are focused on the Enterprise, where they will release high end devices, such as the Q10, Z30, soon to come Q30 and Z50 for example. These phones will still be available in Carriers and to the consumer markets. Just as they are today.
    So no there is no ditching the consumers regardless what country. Don't be surprised if and when BBRY releases a Z10 successor such as a possible Z5 for the low/mid markets in North America and Europe.

In regards to this ecosystem talk I keep hearing, this is not going to happen over night. BBRY already has an ecosystem, and they continue to grow it. Now with Chen in charge, this will grow even faster.
    I think you're reading way too much into what Mr Chen is saying because he really hasn't said anything that is even remotely consistent.

Yes -- he says BBRY will focus on "enterprise" and yes he is saying that "his customers" want QWERTY keyboards but in the same breath he talks about a low end (presumably "consumer") device that will launch in Indonesia and be available only in select markets. It seems to me that BBRY is in a state of flux as of now with little direction or strategic vision and that we will see where this is headed in a few months from now.

There is no doubt that:
    a) Chen is a smart man
    b) Foxconn is an experienced and efficient electronics manufacturer
    c) BB10 has been a complete failure from a sales perspective

So until we see a few months of BBRY under Chen and we hear more about what his plans are as relates to BB10, all we're really left with are a bunch of statements that make little or no sense in terms of the overall direction of BBRY.
    12-23-13 05:27 PM
    I kinda feel that the focus on enterprise will bring BlackBerry back to the green, not just in terms of money but also mind share.

BlackBerrys success was always accidental, at least in the consumer market. They need to regain their tarnished image and status,and that can only happen if bb10 develops into what it has the potential to. By sticking to enterprise, they only produce the handsets they need as per BES10 commitments. As long as hardware is break-even, BlackBerrys other divisions (bbm, m2m qnx) can be the cash cows for future growth.

Meanwhile, as in the past, those who are using bb10 devices (ie: the people it was meant to please) will start to love them again, and as the ecosystem and platform develops further, will rave to thier friends about them (cuz we just can't shut-up). As long as BlackBerry remains in the game, no matter how small of a player, there is always the chance of a shift in fortunes.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 05:34 PM
    Without canada and especially the US, BB will move past zombie status and finally get the knife to the brain. Sorry to disappoint, but yes...we ARE that important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-23-13 05:53 PM
    I kinda feel that the focus on enterprise will bring BlackBerry back to the green, not just in terms of money but also mind share.
    Posted via CB10
    But what exactly is the "enterprise" market these days? Yes, BBRY is talking about managing devices for their enterprise customers but they only have 80,000 BES10 installations and revealed in their proxy that BES10 was not generating any meaningful revenue so far because most of the installations were being done for free (until the end of 2013). During the peak when BBRY had a virtual monopoly on enterprise, there were more than 250,000 enterprise customers so they've lost enterprise customers at more or less the same rate as they've lost consumers/prosumers and the only reason they even have 80,000 BES customers today is because they were giving BES10 away for free (according to their own regulatory filings)...they'd probably have more Z10/Q10 customers too if those were handed out for free!

And is enterprise really their focus because when they announce that their launch device under their new agreement with Foxconn it sure doesn't sound like it. If your launch product is supposed to appeal to the low end market in Indonesia where the competition is against low end Android devices, how can you claim, in the same breath, that your future is with enterprise?

The revenue decline statistics are also shocking -- 75% decline in Latin America, 21% in its home market in Canada. Were it not for a tax refund and the $1 billion they raised through their offering, cash would have declined by a whopping $1.1B in the quarter.

All in all, it is hard to see what strategy is being pursued by BBRY at this point other than "let's just try to remain alive".
    Last edited by NYC10065; 12-23-13 at 06:30 PM.
    12-23-13 06:02 PM
    I don't think their phones should be named BlackBerry anymore, people hear that word and hatred comes to the surface instantly.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 12:42 AM
    Without canada and especially the US, BB will move past zombie status and finally get the knife to the brain. Sorry to disappoint, but yes...we ARE that important.

NO, you are NOT that important - The Chinese market with over a billion wireless accounts will far surpass the US in the future.
    Now, whether they buy BB's or not is another question but they will have the LARGEST subscriber base in the world so
    don't be misled by thinking the US market is that big a deal.
    12-24-13 03:49 AM

US market is the worst cellphone market for manufacturers, just ask Nokia. Verizon and ATT are a strong cartel to crack for anyone except US conglomerates.
    12-24-13 04:26 AM
    US market is the worst cellphone market for manufacturers, just ask Nokia. Verizon and ATT are a strong cartel to crack for anyone except US conglomerates.
    Of course you're right. I mean Samsung is a great example of a US conglomerate really doing, oh wait, Nevermind. But you're right about VZW and AT&T. BB did well in the past since they weren't around then, um, okay, that doesn't work either I suppose. But certainly you're right, I mean Verizon isn't even carrying the Z30...... Hmm, that really isn't working either is it. Okay, I got one more, BB are increasing market share everywhere except the US! Well, except for Europe and Asia I guess. Oh Nevermind.
    Admorris likes this.
    12-24-13 05:03 AM
    NO, you are NOT that important - The Chinese market with over a billion wireless accounts will far surpass the US in the future.
    Now, whether they buy BB's or not is another question but they will have the LARGEST subscriber base in the world so
    What are the average prices of handsets sold in China and handsets sold in North America? About the same?
    12-24-13 05:05 AM
    It's folks with the attitude you have is exactly why folks here in the USA want nothing to do the Blackberry brand anymore. May I remind you that back in 2006 when myself and a few million of us loyal Americans bought those Blackberry devices, we made the company founders very rich and how where we rewarded for own loyalty, by a lack of vision and complacency.

Go ahead and think China is the answer, I think otherwise. History will tell you that China does not give a rats *** about the western countries and is gladly letting them build their plants there and one day they will walk in, throw your western *** out and get all your technology for pennies on the dollar.
    Last edited by bakron1; 12-24-13 at 10:13 AM.
    BBRYed likes this.
    12-24-13 07:51 AM
    Not about number sold...it's about net profit per unit sold. If it fails in NA, it will fail worldwide.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    12-24-13 07:54 AM
    OK, let's go with that. China is an expanding market whereas the U.S. and Canada have reached or are very near reaching saturation.

OK....so the U.S. market and Canada are not important. The important market is China.

OK....so what evidence is there that the Chinese market will go en masse to BlackBerry? Apple has been courting China recently. The largest Chinese carrier is now offering the iPhone. What if the Chinese also go with Apple? The divide between BlackBerry and Apple, or Samsung for that matter, will continue to grow.

It is not in BlackBerry's best interest to discount any market, anywhere. The U.S. market and the Canadian market are in fact important.
    12-24-13 08:25 AM
    OK, let's go with that. China is an expanding market whereas the U.S. and Canada have reached or are very near reaching saturation.

OK....so the U.S. market and Canada are not important. The important market is China.

OK....so what evidence is there that the Chinese market will go en masse to BlackBerry? Apple has been courting China recently. The largest Chinese carrier is now offering the iPhone. What if the Chinese also go with Apple? The divide between BlackBerry and Apple, or Samsung for that matter, will continue to grow.

It is not in BlackBerry's best interest to discount any market, anywhere. The U.S. market and the Canadian market are in fact important.
    Not once BlackBerry starts selling handsets to the inhabitants of Mars. That's where the real $ is! It's like a 3rd world state over there. BlackBerry can dominate the low end entry market with BlackBerry 7 phones and make a killing from the local Martians. After the saturated market over here hears how well they are selling over there then it will spread back to us here because by then Noone will remember the down spiral BlackBerry was in and want to get in on the action to see what this whole "BlackBerry " thing is all about.

Slogan will read:

*BlackBerry, pushing email, now in an interstellar capacity *

Posted Via CB10 using the power of "Q"
    12-24-13 09:49 AM
259 ... 678910 ...