The title of this thread is stupid. There are millions who fiercely demand a Blackberry Phone who are consumers, prosumers or whatever and we will be able to get it too.
    Or not.
    techvisor, JeepBB and BBRYed like this.
    12-22-13 06:15 PM
    Canada, no. But US, it seems to be so, and gave the reins to US carriers.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 06:25 PM
    What would Google get out of allowing BlackBerry Google Play access, other than po'ing Android vendors currently kept on a strict leash?
    Google could get out of it whatever their heart desires. As for peeving off the other OEM's, what other options do they have? They can be mad as he!!, but they won't ditch Android. Google owns it and they can provide access to whomever they want as their business needs dictate.
    12-22-13 06:42 PM
    I'd like to preface this by saying I have no doubt that there is a possibility Blackberry could maintain a significant presence in the Indonesian market.

What has been failed to addressed is how dominating the Indonesian market will save Blackberry. The Indonesian market is smaller and much less affluent than the US market. Heck, its much smaller and a bit less affluent than the Chinese market and, tbh, there has never been much value in even the much hyped Chinese market. Companies like Oppo and Jiayu and Meizu are not rolling in cash.

In order for Blackberry to maintain itself, it will need Indonesia and India and a bunch of other developing nations, many of which it has no stronghold in. Also, it is crucial to note none of the low end OEMs in any developing nations have the resources to support an entire OS. At best, they have a forked Android.

So what I'd like to know is how Blackberry intends to make big money off of Indonesia. As I see it, even a successful strategy will mean the retirement of BB10 and possibly the end of the company.
    You are assuming that Foxconn is ONLY making a device for Indonesia and other similar markets. That's not how I understood Chen's comments. It seems to me that the Jakarta is the first phone that Foxconn will be making for Blackberry. I believe they will be making other phones (low, mid, high end) for them as well. Their is no need for a mid and high end phone as we already have the Z10, Q5, Q10, and Z30. The need is for a low end phone to sell in emerging markets to compete with cheap androids. Now that BBM is cross platform Blackberry needs a low cost BB10 phone to roll their legacy OS users into.

As many of the negative folks here have gleefully pointed out, Blackberry has large amount of Z and Q inventory sitting and waiting to be sold. I believe a lot of this will be slowly sold to their enterprise customers that are moving to BES 10. There is no need to produce a successor to the Z and Q just yet. I can tell you that my organization is on the cusp of making BB10 phones available to their users. A lot of folks are holding off on ordering a new legacy OS phone in anticipation of getting a BB10 instead.
    12-22-13 06:52 PM
    The title of this thread is stupid. There are millions who fiercely demand a Blackberry Phone who are consumers, prosumers or whatever and we will be able to get it too.
    Blackberry sales results contradict your statement... big time.
    12-22-13 06:53 PM
    I Heck, its much smaller and a bit less affluent than the Chinese market and, tbh, there has never been much value in even the much hyped Chinese market. Companies like Oppo and Jiayu and Meizu are not rolling in cash.
    China is Samsung's biggest market and they probably own about 18% or so of the smartphone market share. China is Apple's 2nd biggest market and anticipated to be their biggest market in a few years with the China Mobile deal now in place. Certainly only a few native companies are making significant money selling smartphones, that doesn't mean there's no value to the market. Take out China and both Samsung's and Apple's revenue take a very large dip.
    12-22-13 07:16 PM
    I bought a 9800 Torch. My wife has a 9900 Bold. These are both high end enterprise designed products. As has been posted all the failures were "consumer" phones.

Btw neither are enterprise customers.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 08:16 PM
    I bought a 9800 Torch. My wife has a 9900 Bold. These are both high end enterprise designed products. As has been posted all the failures were "consumer" phones.

Btw neither are enterprise customers.

Posted via CB10
    Well, no. They are really all failures now.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-22-13 08:20 PM
    I bought a 9800 Torch. My wife has a 9900 Bold. These are both high end enterprise designed products.
    Aren't these the products that sunk Blackberry in the consumer market after the iPhone was launched? They aren't exactly maintaining in the enterprise market either.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-22-13 08:49 PM
    Who cares, enjoy your phone. BlackBerry is always going to offer consumers some way to buy their phones. Screw the providers, just buy off contract.

Zed30
    12-22-13 09:03 PM
    There are probably enough Z10 and Q10 written off to satisfy demand in North America for both consumer and enterprise. I wonder how long they can stretch that written off inventory. 1 year, maybe even 2. Long enough to execute this current plan to profitability and develop a plan to Re enter the North American consumer market. All the while BB10 continues to develop.

Posted via Z10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-22-13 09:05 PM
    Most of the phones that BlackBerry has ever released were intended to be business devices first: Curve, Bold, 8XXX... Consumers bought them because people with BlackBerry device were viewed as important and they were one of the best Smartphones on the market at the time. Other than the Pearl, every consumer focused device has been a commercial failure (Storm, Storm2, PlayBook, Z10....). The market has shifted and now the devices that are the consumer successes are becoming the desired devices for business needs. So by focusing on high end business devices they should be making devices that consumers will want to.

Posted via CB10
    A big problem with this is that you can't appeal to consumers unless you have a strong ecosystem. You can't have a strong ecosystem if you only target the business sector.
    dphjeff, JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    12-22-13 10:24 PM
    People are taking Mr. Chen's statements out of context. In no way does he say he's abandoning the consumer space. What he is trying to explain is they are focused on the Enterprise, where they will release high end devices, such as the Q10, Z30, soon to come Q30 and Z50 for example. These phones will still be available in Carriers and to the consumer markets. Just as they are today.
    So no there is no ditching the consumers regardless what country. Don't be surprised if and when BBRY releases a Z10 successor such as a possible Z5 for the low/mid markets in North America and Europe.

In regards to this ecosystem talk I keep hearing, this is not going to happen over night. BBRY already has an ecosystem, and they continue to grow it. Now with Chen in charge, this will grow even faster.
    12-22-13 11:11 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry ditches Canada n US Consumers. BlackBerry needs them at most. Releasing new product in Indonesia or any 3rd world country is one of its marketing strategy to gain traction in hardware selling. BlackBerry knows they can be a champion in this region, so that's why they need to retain it as hard as they can.
    12-22-13 11:39 PM
    isn't that how Blackberry got popular in the first place? :P
    12-22-13 11:56 PM
    isn't that how Blackberry got popular in the first place? :P
    What got BB popular in the first place was doing something WELL that no other smartphone did well: mobile email.

But it's no longer 2006, and everyone does mobile email well. BB had almost no competition (what little there was at the time was weak) until the iPhone 3GS and the original Droid. After that, they've been playing catch-up and they're way behind.

Today, the only thing BB still does better than anyone else is security, and that's really only true for phones on BES, which makes it a non-issue in the consumer market. Without an important, desirable feature that BB has that other phones lack, consumers are going to continue to pass over BB, with the obvious exception of a few million hardcore BB faithful. That's BB's biggest problem, and they know it. That's why their main focus has been shifted to enterprise sales, where their one outstanding feature MATTERS and can be used to grow marketshare for BB10 and BES.

Enterprises don't buy phones based on TV ads or sports promotions, or because of carrier displays, though - they are sold by enterprise sales reps working directly with the companies. Chen has even stated that he's going to direct their enterprise sales reps to go after regulated businesses first, as their top priority, and work down from there.

What this means is that you can expect not to see any TV or print ads (other than maybe in a couple of business/finance magazines), and for carriers to continue withdrawing consumer support in the West (at least some will likely continue to sell online). It won't mean that people who want a BB won't be able to buy one, but it will mean that BB doesn't have the financial resources to fight for consumer sales against Apple and Samsung (and LG and Sony and HTC and Microsoft), so they aren't going to. It's not that they don't WANT to, it's that they have no other choice: spending the cash they have left on a big consumer marketing push risks losing the entire company permanently. The BB10 launch was the last time they could afford to go "all in" like that and still survive a loss. Now, with all these writedowns and a much lowered book value, they can't.
    12-23-13 12:54 AM
    Was really happy to see a Verizon Z30 and Q10 proudly on display at the Verizon store in Bellingham's Bellis Fair today during a cross-border shopping experience. Played with the Z30 and was happy to see they are actively promoting this product via the product demo videos installed.
    12-23-13 02:51 AM

Today, the only thing BB still does better than anyone else is security, and that's really only true for phones on BES, which makes it a non-issue in the consumer market.
    Your still spouting this lie even though proven otherwise? OK then...

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1259 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-23-13 03:06 AM
    Has BlackBerry ditched usa and canada?

Well has god ditched man kind?

Q10 - 10.2.1.1259 using CB10
    12-23-13 03:30 AM
    Your still spouting this lie even though proven otherwise? OK then...

So what else is BB10 better at next to the competition?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 03:33 AM
    So what else is BB10 better at next to the competition?

Posted via CB10
    Hub, keyboard, communications, battery life (Z30), build quality (better than most) speaker sound quality, reception (z30), more fluidity, better multitasking, active frames, better OS IMO.

Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-23-13 04:00 AM
    BlackBerry needs to stop releasing new reiteration of the same product on an annual basis. They have the Z10, Z30, Q5, and Q10 to address the mid-tier and high-tier smartphone segment. With the announcement of low-tier targeting emerging markets BlackBerry has a sufficient portfolio for the next three to five years. In reality the original four BlackBerry 10 smartphones are overpriced in light of the company's diminished industry status and poor adoption rates during the first year of availability. Simply put BlackBerry must cease its modis operandi of annual reiteration of its smartphone models. As for consumer encrypted services BlackBerry could provide on-device public-private key-pair generation and management.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-23-13 04:12 AM
    Focusing on enterprise effectively kills them in the consumer market. You don't see smartphone ads all day, and carrier stores/kiosks everywhere you look because people can just buy phones they want online and have never heard of Samsung Galaxy phones. These phones need to be marketed and retailed in order to have any presence in the consumer market.

I wonder if they will run ads for smartphones that say "Blackberry - Look for it at Work"
    There are peoples increasing in number who know how dumb and irrelevant an ad is.

I look at those appealing ads but never followed them.

People make their own decisions now except gramps and kids.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 05:20 AM
    Hub, keyboard, communications, battery life (Z30), build quality (better than most) speaker sound quality, reception (z30), more fluidity, better multitasking, active frames, better OS IMO.

1. Hub - personal preference.
    2. Keyboard - magnificent, in my opinion best in the field.
    3. Communication - without BIS communication is the same as any other platform.
    4. Battery life - not everyone has a Z30. On my devices the iPhone 5 far surpasses my Z10.
    5. Build quality - personal preference. I find that the iPhone 5 far surpasses my Z in aesthetics, design, and dependability.
    6. Speaker - I find my three devices equal.
    7. Reception - I find my iPhone and Z equal and my SGIII to have the poorer of the three.
    8. More fluidity - Personal preference. I find no advantage as I have many apps open simultaneously.
    9. Better multitasking - with the restriction on 8 apps open I find BB10 to be the least convenient for me. Additionally with the ability to run two apps on the screen at the same time I find my SGIII to be the best multitasker.
    10. Active frames - again, with the restriction to eight, I find widgets to work better for me.
    11. Better OS - Beautiful OS but limiting for my use, as noted in multitasking.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    12-23-13 05:28 AM
    There are peoples increasing in number who know how dumb and irrelevant an ad is.

I look at those appealing ads but never followed them.

People make their own decisions now except gramps and kids.

Posted via CB10
    The content of the ad and the existence of ads help keep a brand name in public view, which can keep attention to a product. We often hear here how people don't know about BB10. Ads would get the message out.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-23-13 05:30 AM
259 ... 45678 ...