I guess the battle for third place is officially over. Microsoft was won it easily.
    milo53 likes this.
    12-21-13 05:52 PM
    Most of the phones that BlackBerry has ever released were intended to be business devices first: Curve, Bold, 8XXX...
    This is somewhat incorrect in my opinion. Were it true that the devices you listed were intended primarily for business use BlackBerry would not have gone in the direction of cameras, expandable memory and multimedia capability. Those devices were BlackBerry's attempt at getting into the consumer space by giving them features that all previous BlackBerry's lacked and a lot of smartphones included.
    BBRYed, Donvald and kbz1960 like this.
    12-21-13 05:57 PM
    BlackBerry is exiting the consumer retail market. Only enterprise handsets going forward. It's pretty clear.
    Do they consider the "prosumer" part of the Enterprise or a Retail Customer?
    12-21-13 05:59 PM
    I guess the battle for third place is officially over. Microsoft was won it easily.
    That race has been over for a while
    12-21-13 05:59 PM
    This is somewhat incorrect in my opinion. Were it true that the devices you listed were intended primarily for business use BlackBerry would not have gone in the direction of cameras, expandable memory and multimedia capability. Those devices were BlackBerry's attempt at getting into the consumer space by giving them features that all previous BlackBerry's lack and a lot of smartphones included.
    I agree and the young crowd (18-25) even had a BlackBerry.

Poetry in Motion
    12-21-13 06:00 PM
    I think what many missed yesterday during the earnings call was this statement from Chen:

"For the foreseeable future, our designers in North America will focus on enterprise ONLY. This does not imply, in the long term, we?re not going to get ourselves back into the consumer space in North America."

And of course that made investors happy and the stock rose as a result. Canada and the US will not see any more phones developed/designed for the consumer market. No running into Rogers, Telus, Bell, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile to pick up the latest BlackBerry. It will be interesting to see how long carriers continue to sell online. BlackBerry will continue to leverage BBM?s popularity.

Time to stock up on BlackBerry phones. Lol. We won't see another one until Jakarta is released and it won't be sold in Canada and U.S.

Poetry in Motion
    what is 'short term'

Z/Q10 are just under a year old... most people that bought it are on contract for at least one more year, some two.

For me, this doesnt hurt at all. they can focus on what they do best... in one or two years the release a new consumer device that WILL actually sell, rather than bomb.

also, im sure there will be ways for people to buy BB phones if they want to. maybe more expensive up front, or per month... but if there is a will, there is a way.
    anon(5624621) and anon8091350 like this.
    12-21-13 06:15 PM
    Ermm what high end business devices? They are only doing jakarta right?
    They designed the Z30, Z10 and Q10. They stated in the conference call that they would continue to design handset for NA and business/government in Waterloo. While the models listed aren't super high end devices, they are higher end then what the Jakarta will be.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-21-13 06:24 PM
    This is somewhat incorrect in my opinion. Were it true that the devices you listed were intended primarily for business use BlackBerry would not have gone in the direction of cameras, expandable memory and multimedia capability. Those devices were BlackBerry's attempt at getting into the consumer space by giving them features that all previous BlackBerry's lacked and a lot of smartphones included.
    They were business first, and those features were added to broaden the appeal. They definitely were nothing more than the business devices and software with consumer features tacked on, and poorly added on in the first models.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-21-13 06:37 PM
    Okay. So what exactly is an "enterprise" device today? A Q10 or a crippled version of a Q10 that no one would want to use?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-21-13 06:40 PM
    It is just a distribution channel. Samsung sells through carriers, BlackBerry is going to sell through IT departments. Both Sammy and BlackBerry will be consumer devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 06:47 PM
    I'm going to be keeping my Z10 for quite a while as I'm on a three year term. So right now I only care about BlackBerry continuing to improve the platform OS. Let's hope that happens and I expect that it will. Remember, BlackBerry Balance is for work and play so I doubt they'd only focus on one part of the equation. That's unless they want out of the device field entirely and that is not what is happening.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 06:52 PM
    you can buy it online prob

Q10 - 10.2.1.1259 using CB10
    12-21-13 06:54 PM
    BB10 looks more consumer oriented than business oriented because I believe that Legacy BlackBerrys are more useful in a professional environment.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 07:07 PM
    Ok, so lets review. Some U.S. carriers didn't do the Z and Q. We didn't see the 10.1.4xxx mr. One U.S. carrier has the Z30. None of us have OS 10.2.xxxx. Aren't we already there via the carriers?
    Last edited by Nanker Phelge; 12-21-13 at 08:12 PM. Reason: change
    BBRYed likes this.
    12-21-13 07:56 PM
    BlackBerry is not abandoning good quality phones. The Z30 just came out. It is a good quality high end phone by my standards, and in my opinion. I have it, and I love it! So they are going to concentrate their next phone to the lower end bracket of phones, cause they need the money and they believe they stand a very chance of succeeding in the Indonesian/Malaysian markets, and other similar ones with these phones. North America can wait a little while for the next quality BlackBerry phone. There is no harm in that and it makes good business sense as North Americans have been given first chance, and we all know what happened there. Change can be good, John Chen has set out to save BlackBerry and that is exactly what he is going to do. Some may cry a little, but that will not change anything. He is here for the many, not for the few. Not saying he does not care for every BlackBerry loyal. We just have to learn to trust him. In time we may all be applauding his gift for making things happen (in a constructive, and positive way for BlackBerry). He is a man of action with a vision. Part of this plan has already begun. I don't think we will be hearing BlackBerry is dead, if at all for quite some time now. A friend was just telling me a recent pole in some business journal (or whatever some of you can look it up and find out what it is) was just taken. The result were interesting, 50% believed BlackBerry sucks, while the other 50% believed that John Chen was going to save BlackBerry. I'd say it bodes well considering John Chen has been BlackBerry's boss just over a month. Take it for what you will. I believe BlackBerry with Chen is on the right path. In a very short period of time I have come to trust Mr Chen more than I do anyone else when it comes to BlackBerry. What John Chen says and does matters most.
    bondary and BBRYed like this.
    12-21-13 08:24 PM
    I think Z50 and Q30 will come out on Rogers in 2014

Q10 - 10.2.1.1259 using CB10
    12-21-13 08:30 PM
    It's nothing personal. It's business. BlackBerry must save the ship. In this case, it means dropping the consumer market in North America. It sux but it makes sense.

Poetry in Motion
    But enterprise clients are not going to pay retail prices for BlackBerry smartphones. With the BYOD trend in organizations the rarity of a BlackBerry smartphone will increase as Apple iOS and Google Android smartphones eat BlackBerry's lunch.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    kbz1960 and techvisor like this.
    12-21-13 08:44 PM
    Once again, listen to the earnings call. Do your research. You will see that by outsourcing to Foxconn, BlackBerry is now free to focus on monetizing its software offerings and expanding solutions for the enterprise sector (government and corporate). At least Indonesia and about 7 other emerging markets, consumers will be able to purchase a BlackBerry.

Poetry in Motion
    Is BlackBerry OS 7 or 10 the future in these emerging markets?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-21-13 08:46 PM
    I will wait to see what pans out. It's just about impossible to know.

I am not opposed to switching to another platform if it makes more sense for me later.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1259
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-21-13 09:11 PM
    I don't think they'd be dumb enough to release another OS7 device unless it's for enterprise, no one is developing applications for that thing anymore.

If BB10 devices are a success in emerging markets then you just get a better ecosystem, because developers will be able to reach a wider audience.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 10:11 PM
    This move is simply to minimize their losses without giving up entirely on handsets.

BB knows they're done in North America. And you can say the same thing about Europe too, they're just not saying anything.
    They're basically testing the handset market in emerging markets where they will try to produce a low cost phone (because they're minimizing expenses) to a market they can try to undercut the competitors on price - or at least be competitive with them.

This is essentially a last-ditch effort in trying to find a niche in the handset market without risking too much.
    They've learned/admitted that they cannot compete anywhere else... they don't have the skill or the financial resources to keep trying.

The odds are pretty good that they will fail on their last ditch effort.

So basically Blackbery has given up on handsets and will stop making them (regardless of their timid attempt in Indonesia) despite what BB10user07 wants everyone to think.

Blackberry handsets are DEAD!!
    12-21-13 11:04 PM
    I just want to ask about the difference between enterprise devices and consumer devices.

Chen, as you specifically quoted, specifically said designers.

Not "marketing team", not "inventory team", but "designers".

When was the last time you see "designers" taking over the entire supply chain?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-21-13 11:11 PM
    "Focus on enterprise" does not equal "exclude consumer", it just means consumers will need to be content with business oriented products and/or services.
    Actually "focus on enterprise " does kind of equal "excluding consumers " seems to me like if you're not on bes10 than you're SOL when it comes to buying a blackberry. I'm not 100% sure that's what's going to happen but it sure seems like it

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-21-13 11:14 PM
    I will wait to see what pans out. It's just about impossible to know.

I am not opposed to switching to another platform if it makes more sense for me later.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1259
    I think that is the approach most will be taking. Hope the strategy works. In the meantime, I'll use my Z until I move on. LOL. At this point, I see no reason to get (speaking for myself) a Z30 when it finally makes it over to at&t.

Sent from my ancient/outdated.....Sexy z10. (~_*)
    southlander likes this.
    12-21-13 11:52 PM
    If you wanna buy a BlackBerry, you will get a BlackBerry, simple.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-22-13 12:04 AM
259 1234 ...