I think what many missed yesterday during the earnings call was this statement from Chen:

"For the foreseeable future, our designers in North America will focus on enterprise ONLY. This does not imply, in the long term, we?re not going to get ourselves back into the consumer space in North America."

And of course that made investors happy and the stock rose as a result. Canada and the US will not see any more phones developed/designed for the consumer market. No running into Rogers, Telus, Bell, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile to pick up the latest BlackBerry. It will be interesting to see how long carriers continue to sell online. BlackBerry will continue to leverage BBM?s popularity.

Time to stock up on BlackBerry phones. Lol. We won't see another one until Jakarta is released and it won't be sold in Canada and U.S.

Poetry in Motion
    KoreyTM and kevinnugent like this.
    12-21-13 04:33 PM
    But. But! THE Z50!

Awe man. This isn't cool.
    BBRYed and stlabrat like this.
    12-21-13 04:41 PM
    I'll hang on to my z and just use my jump to get new android phones.

If BlackBerry don't want to sell me new phones I'll buy a different kind.
    schmeat likes this.
    12-21-13 04:42 PM
    But. But! THE Z50!

Awe man. This isn't cool.
    No but it's necessary to save the ship. Definitely sucks.

Poetry in Motion
    12-21-13 04:52 PM
    I'll hang on to my z and just use my jump to get new android phones.

If BlackBerry don't want to sell me new phones I'll buy a different kind.
    It's nothing personal. It's business. BlackBerry must save the ship. In this case, it means dropping the consumer market in North America. It sux but it makes sense.

Poetry in Motion
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-21-13 04:56 PM
    "Focus on enterprise" does not equal "exclude consumer", it just means consumers will need to be content with business oriented products and/or services.
    12-21-13 05:00 PM
    Most of the phones that BlackBerry has ever released were intended to be business devices first: Curve, Bold, 8XXX... Consumers bought them because people with BlackBerry device were viewed as important and they were one of the best Smartphones on the market at the time. Other than the Pearl, every consumer focused device has been a commercial failure (Storm, Storm2, PlayBook, Z10....). The market has shifted and now the devices that are the consumer successes are becoming the desired devices for business needs. So by focusing on high end business devices they should be making devices that consumers will want to.

Posted via CB10
    imz, iamagod, DJM626 and 13 others like this.
    12-21-13 05:01 PM
    "Focus on enterprise" does not equal "exclude consumer", it just means consumers will need to be content with business oriented products and/or services.
    BlackBerry is exiting the consumer retail market. Only enterprise handsets going forward. It's pretty clear.

Poetry in Motion
    12-21-13 05:03 PM
    Most of the phones that BlackBerry has ever released were intended to be business devices first: Curve, Bold, 8XXX... Consumers bought them because people with BlackBerry device were viewed as important and they were one of the best Smartphones on the market at the time. Other than the Pearl, every consumer focused device has been a commercial failure (Storm, Storm2, PlayBook, Z10....). The market has shifted and now the devices that are the consumer successes are becoming the desired devices for business needs. So by focusing on high end business devices they should be making devices that consumers will want to.

Posted via CB10
    Ermm what high end business devices? They are only doing jakarta right?
    12-21-13 05:04 PM
    Guess the Z10 will be the last BlackBerry phone I'll own then. ****ty.
    BBRYed and BB_Junky like this.
    12-21-13 05:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    In North America BlackBerry excelled in both. They don't in either anymore. Where is the consumer going to purchase the phone? They won't be able to. You won't see another new BlackBerry device developed for the enterprise only in North America for a long time, if they can even be successful and grow enterprise business in N.America.

Poetry in Motion
    12-21-13 05:11 PM
    I'm pretty sure they'll continue selling online and likely open more stores to cover other than US regions.
    Sell through carrier is very expensive and many manufacturers move away from this model.

BB will definitely produce consumer devices, otherwise they'll repeat their old OS problems and lose to competition.
    12-21-13 05:18 PM
    So it was like Nokia then...

Posted via CB10 | Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    12-21-13 05:20 PM
    Great thread title! way to be supportive, exactly what you want people to see when they do a google search....NOT

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 05:21 PM
    Ermm what high end business devices? They are only doing jakarta right?
    The BlackBerry North America designer will focus on producing high-end enterprise units (not cheap low end BlackBerrys). Foxconn will produce all consumer devices going forward for the developing markets and mature markets down the road.

Poetry in Motion
    fragment137 and CDM76 like this.
    12-21-13 05:22 PM
    I'm pretty sure they'll continue selling online and likely open more stores to cover other than US regions.
    Sell through carrier is very expensive and many manufacturers move away from this model.

BB will definitely produce consumer devices, otherwise they'll repeat their old OS problems and lose to competition.
    No they will not in Canada and U.S

Poetry in Motion
    12-21-13 05:23 PM
    Great thread title! way to be supportive, exactly what you want people to see when they do a google search....NOT

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry you're disappointed in Chen's strategy to keep the company afloat. I suggest you listen to the earnings call.

Poetry in Motion
    12-21-13 05:25 PM
    I'm sorry you're disappointed in Chen's strategy to keep the company afloat. I suggest you listen to the earnings call.

Poetry in Motion
    my only disappointment is the way you choose to present the facts

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 05:33 PM
    I'm still buying the new Q30 or whatever name via online when they release it

Posted via CB10
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    12-21-13 05:37 PM
    Just means no more cheap low end BB phones are being developed for North America. Nothing else to see in that statement.
    huckleberry_Jer likes this.
    12-21-13 05:42 PM
    my only disappointment is the way you choose to present the facts

Posted via CB10
    Once again, listen to the earnings call. Do your research. You will see that by outsourcing to Foxconn, BlackBerry is now free to focus on monetizing its software offerings and expanding solutions for the enterprise sector (government and corporate). At least Indonesia and about 7 other emerging markets, consumers will be able to purchase a BlackBerry.

Poetry in Motion
    JeepBB, schmeat and kevinnugent like this.
    12-21-13 05:47 PM
    so.... what does that have to do with what I said?

12-21-13 05:48 PM
    No they will not in Canada and U.S

Poetry in Motion
    Regardless of what Mr. Chen said or more specifically how you treated his messages, if BB manufactures a non-consumer device then they will lose the market completely no matter the distribution channels. This is exactly what happened with old BB devices - they were not consumer friendly.
    In other words, if no consumer devices in Canada and US then no BB devices at all in this region.
    12-21-13 05:49 PM
    Just means no more cheap low end BB phones are being developed for North America. Nothing else to see in that statement.
    Hmm. I haven't seen a cheap low end phone sold in North America in a long time. Q10, Z10, Z30, Bold series, etc are not cheap low end phones.

Poetry in Motion
    mmarco likes this.
    12-21-13 05:50 PM
    Hmm. I haven't seen a cheap low end phone sold in North America in a long time. Q10, Z10, Z30, Bold series, etc are not cheap low end phones.

Poetry in Motion
    There's one on t-mobile atm.

Z10
    12-21-13 05:51 PM
259 123 ...