As I wait for my Passport to arrive from Rogers, I continue to look at 10.3, Blend, which will impact consumers along with BES10 which will impact enterprise and BYOD. For the first time in a long time, I feel one company is laying the ground work for most of us to stand on common ground. I can have my BB10 device, an android or ipad tablet, a pc or Mac computer and not feel as I have to be all BB, all Android or all Apple. For example in our house we have all platforms. BB10 phones except for daughter who is iphone 5 soon to be 6. We have ipads, Sony android tablet and playbooks along with both pc and mac computers. I feel 10.3 along with Blend will have me picking up the ipad or Sony to use it as my phone slave. On the other hand I can see using it to game etc using Apple or Android platforms. In simple terms, I think BlackBerry users are soon to have it all! We will be missing nothing!

Posted via CB10
    iamagod, robtanz, wincyUt and 3 others like this.
    09-28-14 02:12 PM
    i think Blend is definitely great for those in a situation as you describe, but I still struggle to see what it does for those that dont want BB, which unfortunately is a lot of people
    09-28-14 03:36 PM
    Yet no PlayBook client, and they support everyone else's tablets! Insult to injury.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    scrapmetal58 and m1a1mg like this.
    09-28-14 03:45 PM
    i think Blend is definitely great for those in a situation as you describe, but I still struggle to see what it does for those that dont want BB, which unfortunately is a lot of people
    People still view BlackBerry as 4 years ago. A friend of mine, and his family is pro Apple just ditched his iphone for a used z10. He loves it. He doesn't even know about Blend, but when it comes available hour will be on board for sure. Things are changing.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-28-14 03:45 PM
    Yet no PlayBook client, and they support everyone else's tablets! Insult to injury.

CURRENT tablets. Big difference.

Posted via CB10
    bbmtna, bspence87 and AnimalPak200 like this.
    09-28-14 03:48 PM
    People still view BlackBerry as 4 years ago. A friend of mine, and his family is pro Apple just ditched his iphone for a used z10. He loves it. He doesn't even know about Blend, but when it comes available hour will be on board for sure. Things are changing.

Posted via CB10
    I want to agree, but just dont know if I can. Lets keep in mind though you're in Canada and i'm in the US though lol. I still get plenty of people that joke with about why I still use a BB. At the same time though, I've had quite a bit of people show "interest" in BB10 and my Z10. Mayb thoughts are changing, but I think its still an extremely slow change. Especially here in the US, and especially with no kind of marketing...which still baffles me.

Not to derail the thread, but I've seen plenty of commercials for Line messenger and BB cant even make one for BBM after all this time of getting it to grow. It just seems like they aren't trying to get people to see that these aren't BBOS devices anymore...and mayb that has a lot to do with their enterprise focus...but then that takes me back to my original point. BB Blend, while a very nice concept in my opinion, does nothing for the 97% of the market that doesn't want a BB
    BionicKris and GEO1ER like this.
    09-28-14 03:55 PM
    CURRENT tablets. Big difference.

Posted via CB10
    Ah but if I had bought an iPad2 for $699 instead of a PlayBook, would I be able to run Blend?

09-28-14 04:07 PM
    I want to agree, but just dont know if I can. Lets keep in mind though you're in Canada and i'm in the US though lol. I still get plenty of people that joke with about why I still use a BB. At the same time though, I've had quite a bit of people show "interest" in BB10 and my Z10. Mayb thoughts are changing, but I think its still an extremely slow change. Especially here in the US, and especially with no kind of marketing...which still baffles me.

Not to derail the thread, but I've seen plenty of commercials for Line messenger and BB cant even make one for BBM after all this time of getting it to grow. It just seems like they aren't trying to get people to see that these aren't BBOS devices anymore...and mayb that has a lot to do with their enterprise focus...but then that takes me back to my original point. BB Blend, while a very nice concept in my opinion, does nothing for the 97% of the market that doesn't want a BB
    Point well taken, and yes the US carriers are different than Canadian. However, the reason no advertising was BB10 was not mature enough, BES10 was not ready yet and the transition tools for BES clients was not ready until now. The release of the Passport is the only 10.3 and Blend action as of yet. Over the next few months the rest should roll out. Then you will see BlackBerry start to market.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-28-14 04:10 PM
    BB Blend, while a very nice concept in my opinion, does nothing for the 97% of the market that doesn't want a BB
    An increase in market share from <1% to 3% would be a huge success for BlackBerry though!

Posted via CB10
    alan510 and wincyUt like this.
    09-28-14 04:20 PM
    Ah but if I had bought an iPad2 for $699 instead of a PlayBook, would I be able to run Blend?

Ipad2 is still receiving OS updates, PlayBook is not. O_o

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 04:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    True, but that doesn't mean the iPad 2 is current ... Just that Apple's product support is better.
    m1a1mg and scrapmetal58 like this.
    09-28-14 04:46 PM
    Blend will stop people from jumping from BlackBerry to another platform more than anything especially on the consumer end . BlackBerry users can now have the best of both worlds but unfortunately I feel blend is the nail in the coffin for a PlayBook 2 in the foreseeable future

Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    09-28-14 04:57 PM
    Point well taken, and yes the US carriers are different than Canadian. However, the reason no advertising was BB10 was not mature enough, BES10 was not ready yet and the transition tools for BES clients was not ready until now. The release of the Passport is the only 10.3 and Blend action as of yet. Over the next few months the rest should roll out. Then you will see BlackBerry start to market.

Posted via CB10
    In sincerely hope so...because word of mouth isn't going to work as well as it did for them back when the company first blew up. At this point that would take too long. I know Chen has to stabilize the company first but i guess im just anxious to see them doing some real advertising with that 3.1 billion they have saved up lol

An increase in market share from <1% to 3% would be a huge success for BlackBerry though!

Posted via CB10
    Yes it definitely will. Im not doubting that. Any growth at this point will help BB. I think this is amazing feature for those already owning a BB10 device, but is Blend really going to be a feature that gets others interested in the platform? I honestly dont know. I know some may say its not the same, but I think Apple's continuity is excellent for Apple. Yes some like to use whatever device they want and not be locked down (Blend) but features like this are what keep people buying into the Apple ecosystem.

I just ask, how much does Blend really help?
    09-28-14 05:05 PM
    Blend will stop people from jumping from BlackBerry to another platform more than anything especially on the consumer end . BlackBerry users can now have the best of both worlds but unfortunately I feel blend is the nail in the coffin for a PlayBook 2 in the foreseeable future

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this very much. It makes people who already have a BB10 device say to themselves that they can now go buy another tablet of a different OS and still enjoy features off their phone, and im sure that will help to keep people, but it makes it harder to justify a BB10 tablet now. I think BB is really going to have to come out and give BB10 some insane innovative/unique features to give any kind of tablet they release a chance. Its there though. A lot of QNX buzzwords floated around these forums before BB10 released and it sounded amazing...just hope BB plans to implement them
    09-28-14 05:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    And I could have bought either when I bought the PlayBook, for the same price. That is the point. They should at a a minimum make a Blend app for the PlayBook.

09-28-14 05:12 PM
    And I could have bought either when I bought the PlayBook, for the same price. That is the point. They should at a a minimum make a Blend app for the PlayBook.

Oh god......dont remind me what i paid for that thing . Im trying to forget lol
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-14 05:40 PM
    Oh god......dont remind me what i paid for that thing . Im trying to forget lol
    Sorry. Just goes to show why BlackBerry can't be trusted when it comes to paying a lot for a device. You never know if they will just abandon it.

09-28-14 05:44 PM
    Sorry. Just goes to show why BlackBerry can't be trusted when it comes to paying a lot for a device. You never know if they will just abandon it.

Have they ever abandoned anything else like they did the PlayBook? I really dont recall anything else but I will agree that after the PlayBook, it would take a lot of convincing for me to buy another BB tablet.
    09-28-14 06:03 PM
    The PlayBook was a mistake made by a different leadership team. This team needs to worry about focusing their resources where they can get the most advantage. They need to look forward, and not try to drag the PlayBook along.

I've bought a lot of devices and other things at full price that I later regretted (drivers anyone?). It happens. Sometimes you just have to let it go, don't you think?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    09-28-14 06:05 PM
    I look forward to blend, that everyone on bb10 should be able to use it.

In saying that, I want to buy passport with local warranties.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-28-14 06:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, I hope you're right Playbook007.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 06:15 PM
    The PlayBook was a mistake made by a different leadership team. This team needs to worry about focusing their resources where they can get the most advantage. They need to look forward, and not try to drag the PlayBook along.

I've bought a lot of devices and other things at full price that I later regretted (drivers anyone?). It happens. Sometimes you just have to let it go, don't you think?

A driver is what it is. Not like Taylormade can say they are coming out with a software update for the RBZ line to improve it. BlackBerry promised the moon with the PlayBook and chose not to deliver anything. They could have and could still improve it but choose not to. I could let it go, but choose not to.

09-28-14 06:34 PM
    A driver is what it is. Not like Taylormade can say they are coming out with a software update for the RBZ line to improve it. BlackBerry promised the moon with the PlayBook and chose not to deliver anything. They could have and could still improve it but choose not to. I could let it go, but choose not to.

I have 4 Playbooks in total. Still use them all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point BlackBerry throws us a bone. Really I would like just for them to update the Browser, or give us a lite version for BB10. Perhaps Blend....no matter what, there comes a day in time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 06:40 PM
    Yeah, I see that you don't want to let it go.

I think if I were running the Blend product at BlackBerry I would argue for the PlayBook being a very, very low priority.

If the iPad had failed in the market, Apple wouldn't be supporting it either. Apple drops products, too, when they don't sell, especially back when the company wasn't making money. It just so happens the iPad was a great success and so Apple continues to evolve it over time.

When people were choosing between the PlayBook and the iPad 2, the iPad was already a huge success. And iOS itself was already taking off. So people knew that was the safe choice from a long term perspective. You're almost always going to get better support and more integration options (stronger ecosystem) if you buy something everyone else is buying as well (see Android or MS Windows).

So I would hope most PlayBook buyers knew they were going against the grain with that decision. Decisions like that have both opportunity (to have something potentially better than the mainstream) and risk (to choose something which is a market failure and a dead end)

Paintman321 likes this.
    09-28-14 06:42 PM
    Blend is truly one of BlackBerry's secret weapon that will gradually unfold. For starters, some people will soon become tempted to buy a BB10 device with Blend functionality, as a supplementary device to their Tablets, PC, Mac etc. Then later as BlackBerry makes "Blend" more robust, it wont be far fetched if BlackBerry monetizes "Blend" as an app for other platforms.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    09-28-14 06:45 PM
66 123