I received this notice when signing in from the Blackberry Browser. Hmmm...

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    05-27-15 04:48 AM
    The BlackBerry 10 browser uses Webkit, which Apple originally developed. Some sites don't recognise the browser user agent as BlackBerry 10 so it goes back to using the core browser ID, which in this case is Webkit and presumes that you're using Safari.

Posted via CB10
    Smokeaire likes this.
    05-27-15 05:23 AM
    That explains it. Thanks. It still is a bit weird to see that.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    05-27-15 06:04 AM
    The BlackBerry 10 browser uses Webkit, which Apple originally developed. Some sites don't recognise the browser user agent as BlackBerry 10 so it goes back to using the core browser ID, which in this case is Webkit and presumes that you're using Safari.

Posted via CB10
    Apple did NOT originally develop WebKit. They "borrowed" it from the KDE project on Linux. Just as most of OS X is "borrowed" too.
    SuperionMaximus and rthonpm like this.
    05-27-15 06:22 AM
    Apple did NOT originally develop WebKit. They "borrowed" it from the KDE project on Linux. Just as most of OS X is "borrowed" too.
    Source please. Not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to say something like that, the least you could do is back it up.
    05-27-15 03:49 PM
    Webkit Wikipedia page? I'd post the link, but haven't hit 10 posts yet.

As for the rest OSX being borrowed, OSX is a heavily-bastardized, candy-coated, closed-source version of BSD. Or, to be a little fairer, a mashup of BSD and NeXTSTEP OS from another company Jobs founded.

This is why things like SMB in OSX are perpetually stunted - if the Unix license would conflict with Apple's closed-sourciness, they implement their own half-baked version instead.

Again, Wikipedia ftw.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 09:46 PM

As for the rest OSX being borrowed, OSX is a heavily-bastardized, candy-coated, closed-source version of BSD. Or, to be a little fairer, a mashup of BSD and NeXTSTEP OS from another company Jobs founded.

This is why things like SMB in OSX are perpetually stunted - if the Unix license would conflict with Apple's closed-sourciness, they implement their own half-baked version instead.

Again, Wikipedia ftw.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Your username seems appropriate. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 10:06 PM
    OS X is a continuation of NextStep (1989) which is BSD based and predates Linux (1991). KDE didn't come around till 1996.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-27-15 10:54 PM
    Like everything else Apple has developed...
    Copy + lock down + change name = innovation

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 11:41 PM
    Like everything else Apple has developed...
    Copy + lock down + change name = innovation

Posted via CB10
    You forgot:

... + patent ... ;-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-27-15 11:46 PM
    OS X is a continuation of NextStep (1989) which is BSD based and predates Linux (1991). KDE didn't come around till 1996.
    I didn't say that OS X was borrowed from KDE - KDE is a desktop environment, not an OS. OS X is still borrowed but, as you correctly say, from one of the flavours of BSD (FreeBSD I believe but I am open to re-education).

WebKit was a fork of KHTML (built in 1998) taken in 2001.
    Sources: KHTML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaWebKit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-29-15 02:24 AM
    Source please. Not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to say something like that, the least you could do is back it up.
    Sources: KHTML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaWebKit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-29-15 02:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    FYI Two engineers one from Google one from Apple created Webkit the very first mobile phone to have a Webkit browser of any kind was the original Nokia N80

BlackBerry, accept no substitute nor compromise!
    05-29-15 02:44 AM

Again, Wikipedia ftw.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    If I recall correctly actually using many flavors of OSX, B has been there up until OSX Mountain Lion (at the very least)!

I blame Craig Federigi the consumer weirdo head of iOS and OSX (bad move there) making them look feel and behave the same for loosing the power of OSX. His former exec was very well loved and very intelligent. It was sad to see the host of "Redmond Start your copiers" of the former Era of OSX leave. He saw the issues of the fad fashion taking over vs real computing.

I used to love OSX, I now only like the Retina MacBook Pro's hardware and design. I'd boot up into Win10 daily with such a machine.

BlackBerry, accept no substitute nor compromise!
    05-29-15 02:51 AM
    You forgot:

... + patent ... ;-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    Which is the most important item for their revenue stream.
    05-29-15 05:36 AM