I see on here a lot of users deleting, or refusing to use, good apps because they do not want to grant all the asked for permissions to access their files, pics, SD card, contacts or whatever. They often say they see no reason why the app, maybe just a wallpaper, needs all those permissions. Even this CB app asks to access your files but at least explains why. Are these concerns just being paranoid? Would a malicious app not be able to do what its dev wanted whether we gave permissions or not? I think most users just say ok to all the requests routinely but is that risky or are the dangers just an urban legend?

BB, Still the One
    08-01-15 03:18 PM
    Are these concerns just being paranoid?
    Yup. The permissions are written in such ambiguous ways that most people simply don't understand them. 99.9% of the time 'access to your files' pretty much means it will cache content on your device or simply need access to your files in order to work. For example: A photo editing app is obviously going to need access to your files.. your pics are the files... if you deny it, then it's obviously not going to work.

One should always use caution when granting permission to apps but it only takes a bit of common sense, which sadly isn't so common, to figure it out. It's not rocket science. If you're downloading from legit sources, there's not a lot to worry about. The same people who freak out over permissions are generally the same people wonder why an app isn't working for them lol.
    TgeekB, Gatmyer and bp2k7 like this.
    08-01-15 03:26 PM
    Yep, what he said ^^^.

However, there are some apps that I will deny certain access to (e.g. access to contacts list) if there are no valid reasons access should be granted.
    08-01-15 03:35 PM
    Yup. The permissions are written in such ambiguous ways that most people simply don't understand them. 99.9% of the time 'access to your files' pretty much means it will cache content on your device or simply need access to your files in order to work. For example: A photo editing app is obviously going to need access to your files.. your pics are the files... if you deny it, then it's obviously not going to work.

One should always use caution when granting permission to apps but it only takes a bit of common sense, which sadly isn't so common, to figure it out. It's not rocket science. If you're downloading from legit sources, there's not a lot to worry about. The same people who freak out over permissions are generally the same people wonder why an app isn't working for them lol.
    Wow, so well put. Now if people would only listen to you.
    08-01-15 03:39 PM
    Wow, so well put. Now if people would only listen to you.
    I listen to him. I also like the option to deny some permissions, albeit knowing the resultant potential for app limitations, which BlackBerry offers.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 03:50 PM
    I have to admit I've never denied an app permission. I am very careful what I download though. Never had an issue but there is nothing wrong with having the ability to do so in case the opportunity ever arises in the future.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 04:14 PM
    It's always been a concern of mine , that's one of the chief reasons I chose BlackBerry.
    If access to files are for operational reasons than it should be stated and please state any other residual reasons so I can opt out .
    I pay a fee for purchasing and using an app and I believe anyone who uses my personal information for anything should inform me and pay me if they're profiting from the use of my data.
    I've often noticed that an app on BB10 will operate with less access to your device data than the same app on other OS's, why is that?

And yes, why does a gaming app need access to my Contact Information? Not everyone's true intentions are so transparent .

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 04:41 PM
    Yep, what he said ^^^.

However, there are some apps that I will deny certain access to (e.g. access to contacts list) if there are no valid reasons access should be granted.
    Yes, this is where I am. I'm not really looking to get my contacts spammed by anyone. But other than that I think the privacy concerns are largely agenda-driven or misinformed paranoia.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 05:51 PM