hey everyone

here is a scenario i am considering for my next upgrade.

i have a new bb torch 1 that i use for work (bes) and bbm etc etc

i am considering buying an iphone and using its personal hotspot feature.

so i will be carrying 2 phones but only having data on the iphone and having the blackberry run of the hotspot from the iphone.

my question - will this work? and more importantly will i get my corporate emails?

thanks

ps. a few months back i saw app from bb that allows you to get corporate emails on a BIS plan. does anyone remember what it was called?
    08-24-11 06:19 PM
    It was my understanding that BIS/BES wont work on wifi. You need a data connection. However i could be wrong. But im 99.5% sure! :P
    08-24-11 07:01 PM
    that would be great if you got that to work.but in all certainty a data plan will show up in the system when you are trying to run a bb from a hotspot of an iphone.carrier will notice immediately.
    08-24-11 07:09 PM
    Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-24-11 08:23 PM
    Sorry, accdientally posted zero bytes. I don't know about the hotspot - yes, BIS and BES needs a data connection but WiFi qualifies. I've turned off my carrier service many times while connected to a hotspot or WiFi (airplanes, for example) and everything data-related works just fine.

08-24-11 08:26 PM
    Sorry, accdientally posted zero bytes. I don't know about the hotspot - yes, BIS and BES needs a data connection but WiFi qualifies. I've turned off my carrier service many times while connected to a hotspot or WiFi (airplanes, for example) and everything data-related works just fine.

I can 100% confirm the same. I tv tried the same and all features work on just WiFi. But is it because the Bb is all ready registered with rim servers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 10:35 PM
    No, this won't work. You need to have an active data plan for your BB in order for anyBB services to work (other than the browser).

The way you can confirm this is if you have any old BB with WiFi capability. Turn on that BB and connect it to WiFi. You will find that you don't get any normal BB data services with it.

If your BB has its own data plan, then you can connect it using only your iPhone hotspot. However, I don't think that's exactly what you have in mind.
    08-25-11 06:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD