Has anyone consider switching to Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone?

I am contemplating switching to the Nexus because my bb 9800 is getting too boring.
    01-25-12 07:56 AM
    I haven't, but I'm sure some people have.

Switch, you can always go back to using the 9800 if you don't like the Nexus.

If I were to switch to something different, it'd be the iPhone. But I'm not switching, so it doesn't really matter...
    Last edited by elvin1983; 01-25-12 at 08:46 AM.
    01-25-12 08:12 AM
    I switched to a Droid Incredible 2 about a week ago. Still getting used to it. Switched from a 9650 because I just needed something to play with for a while. I can tell you I don't regret it. I'm learning the true meaning of "There is an app for that". I won't taint your experience, all I'll say is that if you find you miss something your BB did stock but your android doesn't do, take a stroll through the android market, there's probably an app to cover that functionality.

I still think the BB is a great phone for getting things done, no question its a phenomenal communication device. But I just had the itch for something more. I bought it off contract to play with and buy time until BB10 rolls, saving my upgrade for a London or whatever they end up calling it when it hits the market.

I still have my playbook though, so I still feel like I'm part of the fam.
    01-25-12 08:17 AM
    I considered it, but I love BB's too much And I'm not big on games, AND I have a PB so I wanna be able to still use bridge.

Thats actually the only non BB i've even considered - all started because of advertising. (see what that can do RIM?)
    Last edited by jordandrews90; 01-25-12 at 08:21 AM.
    01-25-12 08:18 AM
    Didnt really consider it as most android slab phones have the exact same form factor (or similar). Plus work just bought me the 9930 so I cant really switch right now anyways.

What I do think looks sweet is the new Samsung Note. Larger more "note pad" screen with stylus - love it. Will have to wait though a year or 2 to re-up.
    01-25-12 08:26 AM
    I switched a month or 2 ago, i hate to say revisiting my old torch 9800 after, my droid makes the torch seem slow clunky and way outdated.
    It is so nice to click on an app and it opens instantly, my torch sometimes would take multiple trys just to get the app to open, No need to pull the battery 3 times a week, the phone just works and battery life on my atrix 2 has been far better than my torch ever was.
    I could go on and on but i am quite happy with my droid.
    I will try bb10 if they ever make one.
    01-25-12 08:26 AM
    If you're bored with the 9800 you could pair it with the playbook.

We all know the OS2 upgrade is around the corner and we'll get new apps as well...including access to android apps.

The playbook is a very good gaming device.
    01-25-12 08:39 AM
    I haven't, I just don't care for android (yet) and anything I would do on it I'd rather do on my playbook. I don't need an app for that as it just does.
    01-25-12 08:43 AM
    Sitto,

Why don't you go post in the Android Central forum that you have a Blackberry and are considering a change? Ask their opinion and report back.
    01-25-12 09:03 AM
    i have, my boyfriend has one and i'm making the switch soon. it has a gorgeous screen to start with, and the android version it has installed on it is unbelievably fast.

it has apps for almost everything you need done, making it quite efficient. one thing i love about it is the LED light, i was under the impression only blackberries had them so imagine my surprise when i saw that the nexus has this too.

and the face unlock, while i'm sure is quite a novelty at the moment, is just so cool.
    lomed7724 likes this.
    01-25-12 09:25 AM
    I've decided to try the Nexus but am waiting on the Droid 4 to come out. the wife will get the Droid 4 and I'll get the Nexus that way we can try them both out.

I will miss the physical qwerty, but so far I have been able to type very well on the Nexus keyboard (better than I can on their gingerbread keyboard) and with the Nexus's LED and "Lightflow" I imagine I'll get the same notifications as I do from my BB. The addition of widgets and customization has me pretty excited to try this out.

I loved my BB especially the LED, BBM, and sound profiles, but after researching it some, I feel I can get the basically the same with an Android.

I was excited for the 9930, but the bricking issues have me really wondering how dependable it can be. Add to that the fact that BB10 won't be out till much later this year and the general question of RIM's future. I've decided to try Android and Nexus's release is perfect for me with it being ICS and Google (so no manufacturer's skins) and likely fast updates. I have to try it out.
    01-25-12 10:00 AM
    I've decided to try the Nexus but am waiting on the Droid 4 to come out. the wife will get the Droid 4 and I'll get the Nexus that way we can try them both out.

I will miss the physical qwerty, but so far I have been able to type very well on the Nexus keyboard (better than I can on their gingerbread keyboard) and with the Nexus's LED and "Lightflow" I imagine I'll get the same notifications as I do from my BB. The addition of widgets and customization has me pretty excited to try this out.

I loved my BB especially the LED, BBM, and sound profiles, but after researching it some, I feel I can get the basically the same with an Android.

I was excited for the 9930, but the bricking issues have me really wondering how dependable it can be. Add to that the fact that BB10 won't be out till much later this year and the general question of RIM's future. I've decided to try Android and Nexus's release is perfect for me with it being ICS and Google (so no manufacturer's skins) and likely fast updates. I have to try it out.
    you won't regret it. the nexus is amazing. you won't basically get the same experience, it will be better
    01-25-12 10:04 AM
    when the galaxy s2 came out i seriously considered getting one before i bought my 9900..kinda wish i had...i'm very happy with my bb and certainly wouldn't have been away from a keyboard for long, but it woulda been fun to at least try one of these new superphones! if it appeals to you, i'd say go for it...this industry moves too fast to hang onto a brand because of sentiment and miss out on some of the amazing stuff other brands are putting out there
    Harley Kid and Harley Kid like this.
    01-25-12 10:32 AM
    when the galaxy s2 came out i seriously considered getting one before i bought my 9900..kinda wish i had...i'm very happy with my bb and certainly wouldn't have been away from a keyboard for long, but it woulda been fun to at least try one of these new superphones! if it appeals to you, i'd say go for it...this industry moves too fast to hang onto a brand because of sentiment and miss out on some of the amazing stuff other brands are putting out there
    couldn't agree with you more
    01-25-12 11:39 AM
    I looked at the Nexus before getting the 9850. Just too big for me and was tired of the android experience (came from D2G). 7.1 on the 9850 is great.
    01-25-12 11:48 AM
    The size of the Nexus is definitely a drawback for me personally, but it's only about an inch taller than my cased 8530. I figure the Nexus will still ride nicely in my pocket. But that's oneof the reasons I'm waiting on the Droid 4 to be released. That way I can switch off to a smaller size and a qwerty keyboard if I find that I can't use the Nexus's touchscreen.
    01-25-12 12:05 PM
    I might actually do the Nexus (which is significant, because I generally dislike Samsung Androids). The specs are nice, and I have been wanting to do vanilla Android for a while.

For someone coming directly from BB, I'd say take your time and tread carefully. Take as much time as you need with the virtual keyboard to make sure you can live with it.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-25-12 12:16 PM
    Who would buy an Android system with Google watching everything:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...c=al_comboNE_b

If there ever was a 'Big Brother' watching, it's Google!
    Last edited by dagerlach; 01-25-12 at 12:22 PM.
    01-25-12 12:20 PM
    Who would buy an Android system with Google watching everything:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...c=al_comboNE_b

If there ever was a 'Big Brother' watching, it's Google!
    You use the internet, no?

Google does collect. It is unpalatable, but hey.

If you think others don't (to differing degrees), the joke may be on you.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-25-12 12:27 PM
    I have both a Nexus (9250i) and a 9930. And the nexus is a superior device by leaps and bounds. I am now on my 7th replacement blackberry since the day verizon released it. Call quality is better on my nexus, and everything else. The only thing the blackberry wins at is the physical keyboard. Battery life on the 9930 is just as garbage as the nexus. So there is no real reason to stick with the bb in my opinion. Now, if this 9930 operated as solid as my old 8830, that would be a phone. But even with 7.1, i just want to shake my head at what has become of the brand and quality.

And you can play words with friends lol...
    01-25-12 04:36 PM
    You use the internet, no?

Google does collect. It is unpalatable, but hey.

If you think others don't (to differing degrees), the joke may be on you.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Google it's about to get a whole lot worse:

Google announces privacy settings change

"Google look to be changing their privacy agreement, whether you like it or not. Google said on Tuesday it will require users to allow the company to follow their activities across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices.
    Consumers will have no choice but to accept the changes. The policy will take effect March 1 and will also impact Android mobile phone users, who are required to log in to Google accounts when they activate their phones."
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-25-12 at 05:47 PM.
    01-25-12 05:43 PM
    Aside from keyboard, battery life, and tight communications app integration, what I really like about Blackberry is that my data is mine. It resides on my phone and in backups on my laptop.

I've never really been drawn to iPhones, but have been enticed toward Android a number of times. It started with the HTC Evo. Then the Samsung Epic with a sllideout keyboard. I held out but was very close to pulling the trigger on the Motorola Photon (all that power and international to boot!). And now comes the new Nexus. But it comes down to two things. First is the big brother aspect of Google. Second os that I'm a Sprint customer. Sprint usually gets cross-carrier phones later on the game. It used to disappoint me, bit in retrospect, by the time a phone is available to me, I've had ample time to think about it and make more educated decisions.

I was similarly drawn to the 9930, but the camera doesn't cut it for me since I like to take pictures of business cards to transcribe later. The 9850 takes great pictures, but I lose the ability to use keyboard shortcuts. And both represent a substantial sacrifice in battery life.

The processor on my 9650 can lag. I can't Skype. But it has all of the quick communications capabilities that I need and I love the keyboard and all of the cool shortcuts. Pairing it with my Playbook adds a new dimension as well as satisfying my inner child wanting games and video. Battery life is great. But, when push comes to shove, my data is mine.

It's all about defining requirements. My 9650 might have become old school, but I think it will satisfy my requirements until I can see what BB10 really is all about. And just because your 2 year contract is up doesn't mean that you're under any obligation to spend money on a new device just because you can. And, after all, in a few weeks, I'm going to effectively have a new toy to play with once 2.0 comes out. And shortly thereafter, when I get my new Playbook keyboard case, I'll have a new net/ultra book!

So, to answer the OP's question, yes, I have considered it and I think it's an amazing piece of technology. But for now, my needs are taken care of. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by louzer; 01-25-12 at 06:59 PM.
    01-25-12 06:57 PM
    I picked up the Nexus not even a week ago..and it is one sweet piece of hardware. I've got the GSM version, and my battery life has been remarkable for a 4.6" screen. I'm at 13hrs today already and still at 70% battery. Not to mention I could pick up the extended battery, which only adds about a mm to the thickness (and the stock battery cover will still fit) and add even more time onto that.

The dev support is already phenomenal..and the screen? Best screen i've ever seen/owned..hands down. And ICS is just the icing on the cake.
    01-25-12 07:17 PM
    It's an awesome phone.

Plus, you wouldn't have to carry around a second device (as was advised earlier in the thread). I mean, I carry a purse and I wouldn't want to carry around my Torch and a Playbook to do what I could do on the Nexus in one device. I don't see the suggestion of dragging around 2 devices to be all that helpful. I used to carry my iPod Touch everywhere when I had a BB since I loathed the media player on the Berry...and that was a big part of why I left the platform - not having to carry around two devices anymore. JMHO.
    01-25-12 08:08 PM
    I've been tempted to go to the dark side before, and working in the mobile industry gave me some insight into the different options available out there. But at the end of the day, after seeing all the different problems people have with things, I am glad that I have chosen to stay with BlackBerry phones. Setting up an email account on Android is way to much work, and I hate iOS email.

What people forget is that there is limitations as to what each OS is capable of doing. If you want something for multimedia and/or games, then maybe look at Android or iOS (but I would rather go with a Playbook to compliment my phone rather then jump to a whole new ecosystem and platform, and don't underestimate BB on game choices and multimedia).

And to the poster about it compared to a 9800 making it seem old and clunky, it should feel that way as the 9800 was released more then a year before it and was the first foray into touch screen for RIM. Compare the 9800 to the 9810 and you would have the same opinion as well.

Edit: to the above poster, the last BlackBerry you owned was the Storm, so how would you know what the new BlackBerry phones have to offer?
    Last edited by scott.slater; 01-25-12 at 08:17 PM.
    01-25-12 08:11 PM
138 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD