My friend who is a long time apple fan has been watching me on my Z10 for the past year. She took an interest in it and played around with it on different occasions. She liked the speed, the clarity, the snappy OS way better than her iphone.

Then I picked up my Z30 this week. Today she played around on it and was amazed. I told her, think of the Z10 as smooth and fast, think of the Z30 as silky smooth and lightning fast.

She stands up and says let's go. Off to my favorite rogers store we go. Sam, the owner is a huge BlackBerry fan. He was busy with a customer so his employee helped us. She tells him she wants a Z30. He asked my friend what she uses, she tells him iphone to which he says, 'oh you should stick with iphone' and begins rhyming off 5s, 5c blah, blah, blah... she interrupts him and says she wants a Z30. He tells her that she'll never figure it out its too complicated for any apple user (this I kinda laughed at and muttered 'probably'). My friend got somewhat annoyed and stated, so you think I'm stupid. Dude continues on about BB10 being hard to learn and you have to be tech savy. I pipe up and say if you can't figure this out, then you shouldn't be driving, walking, talking or around sharp things.

Sam overheard this and came over and told him BlackBerry was a great phone and to get her what she wants. Sam sold out of Z30s this week and ordered 5 more. My friend picks hers up tomorrow and one of the other Z30s is sold as well.

Anyway. I just thought I'd share this all to common experience.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 02:52 AM
    good story at least yours ended well unlike most on here who leave frustrated and with out a blackberry..
    02-28-14 03:19 AM
    For this to be a complete happy ending. The employee should be fired.
    Make a complain about him lol

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.2141
    02-28-14 03:58 AM
    Yep. If you recommend bb10 to someone you had better be prepared to accompany them to the store for backup lol. I started a thread on here rating the buying experience in Canada in this forum but that won't work because it just disappears down the list or maybe it's just a lack of interest. I am less concerned about shaming the retailers than just being able to buy a bb10 without a hassle. For that matter I would rather know who the retailers are in my area who do a good job. If that can't be accomplished on a blackberry fan site then I guess if you like blackberry you are sol and just have to hope you will still be able to get them online.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 09:12 AM
    Customer is asking for a certain product, why do you need to tell me that the product I want to buy is hard to learn to use..

Idiots.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    02-28-14 10:19 AM
    Hopefully "Sam" the owner of the store disciplines the rep that wasn't listen to your friend when she asked for the Z30. Imagine if Sam wasn't there and a regular customer had to put up with the rep trying to change their mind

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 10:25 AM
    I'm surprised the rep had the nerve to argue about a device when the owner was around.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 10:48 AM
    I cant speak for this particular owner/store but its common knowledge in some stores employees get insensitive to push particular products. But this person just want too far.
    02-28-14 10:51 AM
    I went to future shop a couple years ago with my now wife. She wanted a Dvd burner in her computer I have a bit of computer knowledge having gone to school and being a bit of a techie. It was 2 cables back then. The guy that was helping us asked if we need to have it installed I said no thanks I can manage. He then proceeded to tell me how difficult it was. And u could really mess my computer up by doing it myself. So curious as to what I could wreck I asked. He told me I could fry the hard drive and loses all my pictures and music. I have never trusted a single person from Future shop since

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 10:55 AM
    Well , Very well played. The BB Z30 is way amazing fast, smooth, sharp, etc. .I just love my two of them...I am glad she picked the Z30, she wont be dissappointed.
    02-28-14 11:00 AM
    Customer is asking for a certain product, why do you need to tell me that the product I want to buy is hard to learn to use..

Idiots.

Posted via CB10
    Because the mobile sales industry is filled with the most ignorant, obnoxious, opinionated, unprofessional, and poorly trained/managed people ever assembled.
    No other industry is served as poorly IMHO.
    neteng1000 likes this.
    02-28-14 11:05 AM
    I have told sales reps whom seem to get a little too aggressive they can show me whatever they want if they are going to buy it but since I am using my money they can show me anything as long as it is a BlackBerry.

Posted via ? Z30 from CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    02-28-14 11:09 AM
    I'd just go in with specific needs rather than asking them to generically recommend whatever phone they like. It's like the threads here that ask "what phone should I get?" I find it hard to answer without knowing what they want to do with the phone.

I once had a rep ask me why I chose the Z10 and I said very simply:

- I travel a lot and need a device with a replaceable battery
    - When I travel, I like to be able to plug the phone into a hotel TV and catch up on my tv shows. I like that I can store them on a $20 SD card instead of paying an additional hundred bucks to increase the storage size on my phone
    - I have a bunch of paid PlayBook apps that came over for free
    - I like how the OS works, particularly when I'm communicating. I like the keyboard and I get 300 emails a day plus tons of messages
    - A friend who works for BlackBerry got it for me for a good price and I'm not tied to a carrier

His response: Makes total sense to me.

My girlfriend is looking for a smartphone though and is a big Microsoft fan and also a big photographer. Think I'm going to recommend anything other than a high end Lumia for her? Nope - because it would best meet the needs she has.
    02-28-14 11:15 AM

Idiots.

Posted via CB10
    Try being told "BlackBerry are obsolete" by a Tmo in-store sales rep. I was told this yesterday after going to take advantage of the $200 Trade in Promo.
    02-28-14 11:17 AM
    I have told sales reps whom seem to get a little too aggressive they can show me whatever they want if they are going to buy it but since I am using my money they can show me anything as long as it is a BlackBerry.

Posted via ? Z30 from CB10
    The tmobile rep who told me BlackBerrys are obsolete walked off saying since I knew more than him about BB, that he'd go and get someone else to help me. Was left standing there over 20 minutes before someone came from the back to help.
    02-28-14 11:22 AM
    I'd just go in with specific needs rather than asking them to generically recommend whatever phone they like. It's like the threads here that ask "what phone should I get?" I find it hard to answer without knowing what they want to do with the phone
    They will still offer their unsolicited misinformed opinion that they've heard and regurgitate it back to you. I went to a store yesterday with 2 BlackBerrys in hand and 1 on my hip and said I was here to do a trade in for the $200 trade in promo. First words are out the guys mouth were "BlackBerrys are obsolete".
    02-28-14 11:28 AM
    He tells her that she'll never figure it out its too complicated for any apple user (this I kinda laughed at and muttered 'probably').
    At that point if I were you I would've taken out my Z30, opened and minmized some apps, and demonstrated the hub and peek and said "How...is...this...difficult??"
    02-28-14 11:47 AM
    Really? I would recommend a Z30, BlackBerry Link running on a Windows computer and an EyeFi card for her DSLR camera. That would give her a much better photo rig than any phone. She could make a photo, the EyeFi sends it to her Windows box at home via HotSpot on the Z30, Link provides Remote File Access (or EyeFi could store it on Box or Dropbox) to make the photo available on her Z30 where she can use one of the many photo editing apps (native or Android) to edit the photo. Then she can use DLNA, HDMI or Miracast to display it on a larger screen if there is one handy.
    She also really likes Windows. Same girl is still excited about the Surface over other tablets and we've looked at a lot.
    02-28-14 11:55 AM
    At that point if I were you I would've taken out my Z30, opened and minmized some apps, and demonstrated the hub and peek and said "How...is...this...difficult??"
    Ha - me too! I really don't buy the "learning curve" argument that some have. The way some tell the story, you'd swear BlackBerry 10 was like a Linux command line interface or something. It's really not hard. I use my mom as a benchmark - had no problems picking up the PlayBook or her Z10.

Now I do get it if you're switching from something else you are already familiar with (BlackBerry OS, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone) that there's a learning curve, but any platform switch has a learning curve. I spent a lot of time getting an old girlfriend up and running on an iPhone 4 after years on a Pearl.

If you took a population of people who've never had any smartphone though, stuck them on a desert island and said, "learn this", I really doubt BlackBerry 10 would stick out as being "more difficult to learn" than the others.
    indie_b and pantlesspenguin like this.
    02-28-14 11:59 AM
    A massive, Well funded campaign aimed at destroying Blackberry?!?

Hmmm... Extremely dubious.

The worst enemy of conspiracy theories is usually simple logic. And if we apply a little logic here, you'll see why it's very unlikely. Look at the facts... First and foremost: the likely suspects:

Samsung: A company that's rotten to the core, morally speaking, and has been involved in underhanded marketing before against HTC. OK: Might sound like something they might do. Unless you consider that: They've done it before, and got caught. You'd think they would have learned that these things are likely to come out, and that there'll be a fallout. Also: Samsung isn't only a competitor to Blackberry. They also make CPUs, RAM and displays, and those divisions would be likely to prosper from Blackberrys success. So why take the risk?

Apple: Has until very recently only competed in the consumer market, where Blackberry was primarily aimed at the enterprise. Apple also only made one phone until recently, where Blackberry was aimed at multiple price points. So they weren't direct competitors to each other. A customer dropping Blackberry would be more likely to defect to a Android, Windows Mobile/WP or Symbian device. So a black campaign against Blackberry would mostly waste money, and benefit companies like Motorola or Samsung.

Until the last year
    02-28-14 12:04 PM
    She also really likes Windows. Same girl is still excited about the Surface over other tablets and we've looked at a lot.
    Hopefully looking for a Surface tablet went easier. I could see some potential crap popping up there or maybe not. What's the app situation like with those things lol.
    02-28-14 12:11 PM
    Man these sales people are seriously ****** where ever u go. I had a good experience with a rogers sales associate. But from what I'm reading that sounds rare.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 12:14 PM
    Man these sales people are seriously ****** where ever u go. I had a good experience with a rogers sales associate. But from what I'm reading that sounds rare.

Posted via CB10
    You should have posted where? Always nice to know and doesn't hurt passing along a little recognition for a decent job.
    02-28-14 12:21 PM
    You know what I would have like to have seen done? Ask the store rep to show you the 5s, then the 5c, then the Samsung S3, s3 mini, s4, s4 Mini, Moto X and pretty much EVERY device they have. Have them show you how to make your way through the various options and such as if you were interested in purchasing. Then at the end, ask to see the Z30 and then pull out the credit card. Ask the rep to approximate how many sales he could have potentially made if he just kept his yap shut.

As you are paying for the device then advise the agent to keep their opinions to themselves. Your not here to hear their impressions or their preferences. If you want to know either of these you will ask for them.
    02-28-14 12:23 PM
    You know what I would have like to have seen done? Ask the store rep to show you the 5s, then the 5c, then the Samsung S3, s3 mini, s4, s4 Mini, Moto X and pretty much EVERY device they have. Have them show you how to make your way through the various options and such as if you were interested in purchasing. Then at the end, ask to see the Z30 and then pull out the credit card. Ask the rep to approximate how many sales he could have potentially made if he just kept his yap shut.

As you are paying for the device then advise the agent to keep their opinions to themselves. Your not here to hear their impressions or their preferences. If you want to know either of these you will ask for them.
    Great idea if you had the time to do that

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 12:27 PM
32 12