If they really want to get to the bottom of this can't they just trace the original IP the letter was sent from? Doesn't CSI do this all the time, not sure about the IP if you were on a mcdonalds wifi or somethng but doesn't every computer, device have it's own IP address?

Ah, didn't think about mail but they would still be able to know where it was mailed from.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-01-11 at 07:19 AM. Reason: mail
    07-01-11 07:17 AM
    I heard there's going to be 7 letters in total and they're going to turn each one into a movie. Except the 7th letter is going to be so long they're going to split it up into two movies.
    07-01-11 07:58 AM
    If they really want to get to the bottom of this can't they just trace the original IP the letter was sent from? Doesn't CSI do this all the time, not sure about the IP if you were on a mcdonalds wifi or somethng but doesn't every computer, device have it's own IP address?

Ah, didn't think about mail but they would still be able to know where it was mailed from.
    I doubt an employee would send this sort of letter via a work computer. Probably from home or on a public network and while the police may have the ability to do something like you're describing, I doubt RIM would have that type of jurisdiction outside of their own offices.
    07-01-11 08:00 AM
    Letter to RIM, the sequel. Letter to RIM episode 1 where it all started after the first 7 movies.
    07-01-11 08:01 AM
    I doubt an employee would send this sort of letter via a work computer. Probably from home or on a public network and while the police may have the ability to do something like you're describing, I doubt RIM would have that type of jurisdiction outside of their own offices.
    Yeah I doubt over a work computer as they can find out everything you do on those. I would think BGR's dumb a__ would pay or whoever pays him to have this done not to out the anonymous person but to make sure that the letter is legit before making a fool out himself if turns out to be false.
    07-01-11 08:06 AM
    folks you're only fooling yourself if you think the letter isn't real, even if it isn't, talk to some people that work at RIM. everything mentioned is 100% true. time to face reality, and their response has only made the situation worse, did you see the CNBC video? they don't seem to think RIM is recoverable.
    Don't you worry. The US has a lot of money for bailouts, just ask GM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 08:12 AM

LOL, too true........they'll just raise taxes and then the firm that gets bailed out will give the same dumb a__ execs that put them in the spot they are in bonuses and they'll take trips on the company.

But would the US do it for a Canadian company?
    07-01-11 08:23 AM
    RIM should just sue BGR and Geller and request that they turn over all financials to see how much Apple is paying Geller to right negative stuff, and how much Geller is paying to blow Steve Jobs.
    Yes, they should, if they have grounds. But they haven't, which means they probably don't. I'm curious though; if you believe another company is doing this to RIM in an underhanded way (instead of RIM tripping over its own feet as many believe), why do you assume it's Apple? Google and its Android partners are gaining more from RIM's fall than Apple is, and you have as much evidence against Google and Android OEMs as you do against Apple (which is none).

Letters from anonymous sources are not news, it is slander and RIM should sue. If there were official RIM internal e-mails stating this stuff then that is news.
    Truth is a defense to slander. Can you identify something in the letter you can prove to be false? Also, if BGR has told the world they're publishing these additional letters today, why doesn't RIM secure an injunction to stop it, if it is indeed untrue? I'll tell you the most likely reason why not: courts grant injunctions when a plaintiff can show that irreparable harm will result without relief, as well as a likelihood of victory at trial (you'd get preliminary injunctive relief to carry you through trial). It's a sliding scale, so if you can show a great deal of irreparable harm, you can get away with less likelihood of victory, or vice versa. Therefore, if RIM has got BGR on slander and thus RIM is likely to win, they need only show only a small amount of irreparable harm, which shouldn't be difficult to do. So again, why haven't they sued? Objectively, the likely explanation is that they have no case, since we know RIM can afford excellent legal representation and it doesn't take lawyers long to whip up an application for a temporary restraining order.

I don't imagine the U.S. would bail out a Canadian company, especially one whose more successful competitors are American. But you may know something I do not.
    07-01-11 08:37 AM
    Yes, they should, if they have grounds. But they haven't, which means they probably don't. I'm curious though; if you believe another company is doing this to RIM in an underhanded way (instead of RIM tripping over its own feet as many believe), why do you assume it's Apple? Google and its Android partners are gaining more from RIM's fall than Apple is, and you have as much evidence against Google and Android OEMs as you do against Apple (which is none).

Truth is a defense to slander. Can you identify something in the letter you can prove to be false? Also, if BGR has told the world they're publishing these additional letters today, why doesn't RIM secure an injunction to stop it, if it is indeed untrue? I'll tell you the most likely reason why not: courts grant injunctions when a plaintiff can show that irreparable harm will result without relief, as well as a likelihood of victory at trial (you'd get preliminary injunctive relief to carry you through trial). It's a sliding scale, so if you can show a great deal of irreparable harm, you can get away with less likelihood of victory, or vice versa. Therefore, if RIM has got BGR on slander and thus RIM is likely to win, they need only show only a small amount of irreparable harm, which shouldn't be difficult to do. So again, why haven't they sued? Objectively, the likely explanation is that they have no case, since we know RIM can afford excellent legal representation and it doesn't take lawyers long to whip up an application for a temporary restraining order.

I don't imagine the U.S. would bail out a Canadian company, especially one whose more successful competitors are American. But you may know something I do not.

True they did just have a partnership with Apple and other to get the Nortel patents to keep them from Google. Just venting. I do think that RIM has a right to know who the sources are. But you do have to admit that BGR seems to have something against RIM at the moment. RIM definitely has issues and needs to overhaul the management chain from the top down.
    07-01-11 10:19 AM
    True they did just have a partnership with Apple and other to get the Nortel patents to keep them from Google. Just venting. I do think that RIM has a right to know who the sources are. But you do have to admit that BGR seems to have something against RIM at the moment. RIM definitely has issues and needs to overhaul the management chain from the top down.
    Unless he likes RIM so much that he is hurting them in a way to push them to be better. Think about that concept for a second.

If he likes them, but sees their faults that most BB fans cannot recognize, he may have published this to bring in the ultimate attention to management.

Analysts **** talking about RIM is one thing, but posting these letters from a RIM Exec (real or fake) is such a bigger impact. Especially when he was able to make them respond the way they did. That just shows these letters are of value (real or fake) when speaking about the management.

deRusset said it in a different thread. The responds is like an auto response to an email.

Just a thought though. For all I know he really does just hate RIM lol.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-01-11 at 07:09 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-01-11 07:07 PM
    I am waiting for BGR's post telling us where the Mafia buried Jimmy Hoffa's body, followed by Elvis lives, followed by Jim and Mike were abducted by alliens -- Give me a break!

BGR has zero credibility - Never mind the fact that a high level exec would be a moron for providing their employer with just cause for termination.

Now if you were a low level disgruntled RIM employee and you were to vent in an email, were would you send it? BGR? BlackBerry Review? CrackBerry? How about all of them. If it quaks like a duck......
    07-02-11 07:36 AM
    Especially when he was able to make them respond the way they did. That just shows these letters are of value (real or fake) when speaking about the management.
    I have said it a million times!!! RIM needs to hire a PR person that know what the F their doing!!!! You do not respond to events like this because you fuel the fire and you accomplish nothing.

If RIM felt the letter was genuine they should have resolved it internally.

With all the missteps RIM has been making as of late, I am starting to wonder if this is a genius diabolical plot by Jim and Mike to lower the stock price so that they can buy cheap. Things that make you go Hmmmmm.
    07-02-11 07:44 AM
    Breaking news: Geller made his bed and took out the trash, he is now working on letters 4 and 5!

07-02-11 09:03 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD