Does anyone agree that it would be nice to have multiple phone #s in the main phone # fields, and be able to point to any of them and dial it? Because I migrated a large database from a Windows device, which allowed multiple phone #s in one field, I may now need hours of editing to re-structure. In the Notes field Blackberry automatically notices phone #s and the menu has a "dial" option specifying the number under the cursor. Why could that not be done in the standard phone # fields? Is there a way to delimit the phone #s in one field so the first # could be called the standard way? For example, if commas are used they act as a delay character... what about having semi-colon as the "stop here" character to limit dialing to just the phone #? e.g.

Work: 555-444-5454; 646-777-8787 second # at work

If the phone owner requests to call the "Work" field, the Blackberry should dial the first number there and stop, instead of continuing dialing as it does currently (often causing a failed call). Sometimes we do not want a separate record for every phone # associated with a contact e.g. multiple staff members there, so it can be more convenient to have several phone #s in one field.
    08-30-09 09:38 AM
    To me it seems like you prefer to do things the hard way. I personally prefer my contacts broken up by name, so at work I want Mike, I dial Mike. I want Bob, I dial Bob.

Having one entry called Work and then a whole lit of numbers, or numbers and extensions seems like the hard way. How do you know who is who?
    08-30-09 04:34 PM
    I understand sometimes that you get used to the way you do things and end up preferring them, but I'm with radius... I would rather have a contact for each person rather than a contact for the company with the individuals listed under it...

To be honest you could emulate that by putting all the people in that work for acme corp in as individual contacts

Fred
    Bob
    Sally

Then under each put in their numbers and make sure you list their company as acme

Then when you want them go to your phone book and type in acme

You will get the list

Fred
    Bob
    Sally

Which is aprox. what you are looking for as I understand it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 05:03 PM
    Not only that but the filter in the address book is very powerful. For example, let's say you have 2 companies and 30 contacts each in your address book for those companies.

Company 1 is named Stark Enterprises and Company 2 is named Microsoft. In your address book make sure each entry has a first and last name, and the company field filled in.

So to search for anyone real quick by company and name, let's say Gill Bates at Microsoft, I would type "mic gill" and it will home right in on him.

The first 3 letters is for the company, so if there is a Gill Bates in each company, you have already narrowed the search to one company. The second should hit the person directly.

The BB address book is a powerful thing.
    08-30-09 06:05 PM
    I did not know you could search by partials. I was lamenting that I lost the ability to type first initial and then last name (jdoe to find john doe). If all I need to do is add a space between then....
    08-30-09 07:23 PM
    wow...
    sounds quite complicated ..
    I don't use it that way.
    08-30-09 11:45 PM
    That is one of the first things I picked up on when I get my BlackBerry, the incredible search abilities of the address book.

The moment you type a letter, G for example, it applies the search equally to first name, last name and company name. Adding spaces just allows for more search terms.

It should be one of the major selling features put into BlackBerry ads in my opinion.

08-31-09 01:51 AM
    I appreciate hearing how you all work with the BB... you could say I am not against the separate contacts approach, but I built up the whole address book originally where it seemed to work OK with single contacts (although Windows Mobile stinks, as you all probably know). Perhaps I will gradually move the contacts I use to the multiple contacts, as suggested.

The information on the search methods is a good extra! Thanks again.
    08-31-09 05:31 AM
    I just remembered the reason I originally started with several phone #s and people in a single contact: I often keep notes on contact history in the Notes area. These may be with a variety of individuals in a company, people who do not really need separate contact entries. But I want all the information about contacts in one record for centralized reference. That does not come up for anyone else? It seems to me there should be a different structure: a very long (but single) record for company, plus the ability to have one or more contacts attached to that company record. That way things that are general to that whole company can be quickly located, while there is still the ability to record other information specific to the people being contacted in that company.
    08-31-09 05:37 AM
    Harness the power of BlackBerry Contacts app. Once you get used to it and swap everything over as suggested, I'll venture to say you'll fall in love with it and wonder how you lived with it any other way!

Good luck!
    08-31-09 05:37 AM
    What do you use on a desktop? It seems like the way to set it up is counter to the way Outlook is designed. (Just curious)

What you could do is start using Memos for your service calls. Have one for each company. I think you would have to break it down a little by year (or month or other time frame that is of an appropriate scale)
    08-31-09 06:43 AM
    Hmm, cavingjan, I thought I replied to your post previously, but my reply is not here. Well, I use Time and Chaos application (see chaossoftware.com). It is nimble and powerful, not very expensive, and comes with support. Everything Microsoft does seems to run very slowly and I don't have the time to work around what they do.

Memos seem like too much work, as it is not in the main record as a memo. I will find a way, based on all this info, to make it work. Probably a hybrid approach. Or a plug-in electric vehicle. (humor)
    09-02-09 01:34 PM
    Ok, here's another option... when in your phone dialing screen, put your cursor over the number you called. hit the BB menu button and select View History.

From there, select the specific time/day you want and hit menu again. This time, select Add Notes.

Now you have the ability to not only keep notes per person, but they are date and time stamped.
    09-02-09 01:58 PM
    wait so its impossible to add, for example, 2 mobile phone numbers?
    09-02-09 11:23 PM
    wait so its impossible to add, for example, 2 mobile phone numbers?
    For a single contact you can have multiple numbers, 2 work, 2 home, a fax, a mobile and the ubiquitous other.

But what the OP is getting at is multiple numbers per field, so 5 employees each with a unique number in one field and having the dialer present you with a list when you want to call someone.

The BlackBerry address book doesn't support such a thing.

09-03-09 03:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD