Apple making their phones more attractive with discounts and free services is not illegal. They can do it because they can afford it
    My understanding is that the workers chose iPhones rather than company mandates. That is how the story seems to read. It was certainly the case with Clorox and others.
    02-06-12 08:54 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by objective. I claim neither objectivity nor partisanship. Sorry if I misled you. This is an interesting and important news story for all tech geeks. This story does not belong to one community on one fan site. It affects everyone in the industry one way or another. When it is met by partisan jabs about iPhone jailbreaking, that is when I know it is not being taken seriously enough.

If RIM's response to all this really is, "Just wait until a security problem, and they will come crawling back!" then all hope is lost and the sky has already fallen. Let's hope RIM is taking this more seriously than it is being taken here.

Where's Kevin's take? I would think this developing story of corporate defection would be the sort of thing about which the leader of the Crackberry nation would opine. Stop trying to make it personal. This is not about me or how you feel about me. If that's what some of you are hung up about, go post somewhere else. This is news. Go start another thread about how much you love your berry in an appropriate category. Stop trying to derail and make personal, every news story you would rather ignore.
    I never said anything about loving my berry or acted like a fan of anything. I questioned your reasoning and motive. You seem to be piecing bits of information together randomly to create a narrative. You then use this narrative to paint another picture of a blackberry fanbase that you choose to scold for being fans of the device you have painted as a flop. My question for you is what leads someone to this end? Oh, right, just sharing information.
    02-06-12 08:59 PM
    security and iOS

sorry, i own an iphone... i know how bad this will fail
    scott.slater likes this.
    02-06-12 09:03 PM
    security and iOS

sorry, i own an iphone... i know how bad this will fail
    We've had the iPhone for four and a half years. Companies know about the iPhone's security. What do you expect they will suddenly learn that they don't already know?
    02-06-12 09:07 PM
    You like the word speculation Typing and looking in the mirror at the same time is not healthy

Apple making their phones more attractive with discounts and free services is not illegal. They can do it because they can afford it
    I think what he's saying is that your comments imply that Apple needs to "entice" enterprise businesses as opposed to them just "choosing" AAPL organically.

And by throwing in balance sheet numbers you might be saying "It's not fair. They have more money."

Trust me, I live in NYC and have been using that line to defend my beloved Mets from Yankee fans for years.

It doesn't work...
    kevinnugent likes this.
    02-06-12 09:30 PM
    Maybe they realized the bb10 will use activesync and that there is no point paying for BES licenses and a monthly RIM tax just to do the same things their exchange server already does free of monthly fees.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-06-12 09:33 PM
    We've had the iPhone for four and a half years. Companies know about the iPhone's security. What do you expect they will suddenly learn that they don't already know?
    Apple is insecure and only has not resulted in a big security breach because...no target worth the time of hackers. Once a company or organization that has real secrets is foolhardy to buy iOS, then the hackers will dig in, and the breaches will be slow to be reported, so the fable of security will continue to do more.damage.

Remember how everyone said that Mac OS was secure and needed no antivirus. The reality was there were so few Macs with little sensitive tasking...who cares about graphics workstations...and then the numbers got large enough and used for central functions. Then...whoops, viruses and security attacks. Now Mac needs antivirus protection too, a sieve to tbe hackers.

One large breach and iOS will lose its glow.
    02-06-12 09:54 PM
    I think what he's saying is that your comments imply that Apple needs to "entice" enterprise businesses as opposed to them just "choosing" AAPL organically.

And by throwing in balance sheet numbers you might be saying "It's not fair. They have more money."

Trust me, I live in NYC and have been using that line to defend my beloved Mets from Yankee fans for years.

It doesn't work...

I'm saying Apple has the opportunity to offer businesses a sweet deal to choose the iPhone over BlackBerry as they're trying to gain a footing in this market

BlackBerry lowered the price of playbooks to sell more units to attract developer interest as they're gaining a footing in the tablet market
    02-06-12 10:04 PM
    Given that Apple has been claiming for the last couple of years that the iPhone is being tested or deployed in over 90% of Fortune 500 companies, the really story is why stories like Clorox and Haliburton get such big exposure by the Apple fanboys. It is like my high school basketball coach used to say - when you make a great play, act like you have been there before. RIM is working from a position of almost 100% market share in Fortune 500 companies, so it should be expected that they will losing some customers after a couple of years of almost atrocious press. But the positive from RIMs perspective is that stories like this still remain the exception rather than the rule, and they seem to now be lined up for a year of strong product releases and positive press. I think it is safe to say that RIM no longer takes anything for granted, including their stronghold in the enterprise.
    02-06-12 10:05 PM
    Don't LOL too hard. There are some very impressive niche market apps (with prices to match) on iOS that no one is porting to other platforms. Particularly in the medical field.
    True. My post has to do with providing secure access to those apps. I'm not saying Apple is incapable of getting it done either. Just would like to see proof of it first.
    02-06-12 10:18 PM
    I think it is safe to say that RIM no longer takes anything for granted, including their stronghold in the enterprise.
    True. RIM used to be the leading smartphone manufacturer in the U.S. Now, the distance between them and the #1 vendor is a greater number than RIM's total quarterly sales. I think it is safe to say that nothing is taken for granted anymore at RIM, if it ever was.
    02-06-12 10:36 PM
    In the phone department, RIM has completely stopped innovating. COnsidering push email and BBM have been invented 10y ago, I cannot think of a single feature about RIM phones that the competitors say 'ouuhhh, cool feature, I wish our platform had that'. With Fusion, maybe they will manage those iPhones....

Oh, and its so easy for HB to deploy apps on both ipads and iphones, they are so similar.
    02-06-12 10:50 PM
    The article states that they were satisfied with Apple's security. Really ?????

I really hope some sort of security breach happens to some enterprise user with an iPhone to prove Thor right that when that happens, corporations will come back to BB in full force.

What are you, .....eight years old? Don't be such a pants-p!55!ng child.
    02-06-12 11:23 PM
    It looks more of a move to rescue the American economy, by buying an American Origin Global and Multinational Cusp Company's goods with added benefits of less financial stress on the company, by asking the employees to buy their own phones.
    02-07-12 03:32 AM
    When you put it that way, it makes the importance of the story seem minimal at best. But I don't think that reductionist assessment covers the bases. Apple does not depend on corporate contracts. 4,500 more iPhones is a rounding error for them. RIM lives and dies by corporate contracts. This is not just about the 4,500 phones. That number just cleans up the 70,000 they already lost from that company. That makes it a bit harder to marginalize.

Also, the fact that this is a trend rather than an isolated incident makes this important. I read about the corporate defections from RIM; I am not seeing the stories about new corporate contracts. Perhaps that is just media bias, but that is what I see. I hear about the PB getting special certifications, but not companies adopting it in any great numbers. If the story is skewed, and RIM is maintaining or growing their corporate clientele, please say so. That information would be relevant in this conversation, I would think.
    RIM's stronghold is the secure sector. While Android is stepping in, iOS is nowhere near it, with only selected sandboxed projects.
    RIM maintains hold of the ultra secure environment. Not simply "corporations."
    When compared with the whole of rhe secure communicty, Android's penetration is small. iOS is microscopic.
    Whether or not RIM loses the whole of the secure community is still to see. Right now they are quite healthy....we still give out BBerries and there isn't one single Android or iOS behind our firewalls. And my agency is a large one within the secure community.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-07-12 04:00 AM
    What I think the greatest concern for RIM in the current corporate market place, as far as security goes *with companies switching to other devices*, will be major coroporations who have had security incidents on mobile devices trying to hide those incidents. Low level theft of corporate data is likely to be (at least superfically) ignored and high level theft hushed up because large public companies are extremely worried about the fallout. To this end, I feel Thorsten is only partially right when he says "it's only a matter of time until...", when there is is a good possibility this is/has already happening/happend.
    Last edited by gjohnsto; 02-07-12 at 04:45 AM. Reason: clarification
    02-07-12 04:41 AM
    And the more sensitive and secure the data or the agency the less desire to risk it for a change that will be costly and brings no discernible gain to the government.
    02-07-12 04:49 AM
    A corrupt evil company like Halliburton switching to phones made by a another evil company that uses slave labor to make it's products. I think the two were made for each other.
    02-07-12 04:53 AM
    Two moments:
    1. Last Q BBs grew new subs by 5 M, m for millions
    2. Haliburton plans to ditch 4.5 K, K for thousands

4 500 is less than .1% of 5 000 000 new subs RIM added for a SINGLE Q
    02-07-12 05:59 AM
    The article states that they were satisfied with Apple's security. Really ?????

I really hope some sort of security breach happens to some enterprise user with an iPhone to prove Thor right that when that happens, corporations will come back to BB in full force.
    I'm with you on that.

What are you, .....eight years old? Don't be such a pants-p!55!ng child.
    I'll be pi$$inng my pants when it happens ... while laughing my a$$ off!
    Last edited by T�nis; 02-07-12 at 06:15 AM.
    02-07-12 06:05 AM
    I dropped Halliburton a long time ago. Then again, I do have a Zero-Halliburton briefcase. It's sleek and stylish.
    Last edited by T�nis; 02-07-12 at 06:16 AM.
    02-07-12 06:07 AM
    In other news, my coporation has closed the option to request iPhone after allowing it as an option for two years. The purchase and running costs were way higher than BlackBerry, so we are back to BB only device options. A choice I agree with, and my wife works for Apple...!

My corporation has only 3500 employees though.
    02-07-12 06:28 AM
    If you live in the States, I'd say your government is the biggest contributor to China..

So How Much Money Does The US Owe to China?
    I'd say the American people are the biggest contributors to China...along with the Walton family. Go to any chain store and look at where their merchandise is made...mostly in China. Sure, the Chinese are going to lend the U.S. Government money and Americans will keep buying products that say Made in China. Anyone buying an Apple product these days is not part of the solution...they are part of the problem!
    02-07-12 06:40 AM
    In other news, my coporation has closed the option to request iPhone after allowing it as an option for two years. The purchase and running costs were way higher than BlackBerry, so we are back to BB only device options. A choice I agree with, and my wife works for Apple...!

My corporation has only 3500 employees though.
    I work in the enterprise mobility space and found your comment very interesting. With so many of our customers switching away from BlackBerry...

I know you must be keep your company's identity secret but If you can answer any (or some) of the following I would be grateful.

1. What industry is your company in?
    2. Did your company do some studies to decide what the relative costs were? What is the cost of running an iPhone versus BlackBerry? How much of that cost was related to securing iOS?
    3. What has been the reaction internally? Are employees annoyed that they have to give up their iPhones?
    02-07-12 06:44 AM
    I was wondering when Q was going to come in and say heavily sandboxed! Lol. If you do a keyword search you have said that over 25 times.
    02-07-12 06:48 AM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD