I came across this article. Sounds like BlackBerry has found its target audience:

Half of US smartphone users download zero apps per month
    09-16-16 02:37 PM
    I came across this article. Sounds like BlackBerry has found its target audience:

Half of US smartphone users download zero apps per month
    apps dont matter to bb anymore, they have them all with android.
    09-16-16 02:45 PM
    That's simply because app markets are mature, and most people know what apps they need and they reinstall them all when they get a new phone, and then don't need to constantly try new apps.

But that does NOT mean that no one uses apps, or that people don't want options and assurances. Everyone knows if they buy an iPhone or an Android phone that IF some app comes along that they'll need - whether today, tomorrow, or a year from now - they'll be able to go to their app store and download it, and it will work. In fact, they don't even need to worry about it.

Most people know that that is NOT true if they own a BB10 device, or a WinPhone, Tizen, Sailfish, Ubuntu, etc. phone. The apps they need might not be available, or might not run, or might not have full functionality, and might break due to an update at anytime.

The ecosystem is a Top 3 consideration for almost every smartphone buyer, and that isn't going to change.
    09-16-16 05:46 PM
    Even if you only download one app per month then you have to download at least 24 apps during the life of your smartphone contract. That's a lot of app usage. I'm sure that most smartphone users don't use apps this much. Once you have the apps that you typically use for communications, banking, document handling, shopping, etc. you may go months without needing more.

It does not mean that half of all users don't use apps.
    09-17-16 09:49 AM
    I could never go back to the wasteland that is BlackBerry World or BlackBerry 10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-17-16 11:04 PM
    I could never go back to the wasteland that is BlackBerry World or BlackBerry 10.

Aww come on now! Look at what you're missing out on!

Half of US smartphone users download zero apps per month-img_20160919_174759.png

Half of US smartphone users download zero apps per month-img_20160919_174813.png

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    valer466, kthhrrsn and neoberry99 like this.
    09-19-16 04:49 PM
    I'd say the core apps are all that matter. Very few new apps sustain any kind of increased popularity.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 01:39 PM
    I'd say the core apps are all that matter. Very few new apps sustain any kind of increased popularity.
    If you go open a bank account at a new bank, you'll want their app. It won't matter if that app is brand new or has been around for 5+ years; it's still new to you, but you'll want it.

The same is true if you buy a new car, or if you buy a new home alarm, or a new smart door lock, or a drone. You might have a new restaurant open up nearby, or some other new service. The world changes every day, and an ecosystem needs to change with it.

Apps that are important to me might not be important to you, and that's okay, but it doesn't mean they aren't important. It's no different than, say, TV channels.

Most people watch less than a dozen TV channels on any kind of a regular basis. So why don't we only have 12 channels? Simple: though most of us watch 12 channels or less, they aren't the SAME 12 channels as the folks next door, or down the street. You may wonder why you have 130 channels in your basic package, and wonder who watches some of those channels - but your neighbors wonder the same thing about the channels you watch.

This is why having a diverse ecosystem is so important, and why TV providers don't simply carry the Top 20 channels; they'd lose a ton of business to their competitors who put 130 channels in their entry-level tier.
    09-20-16 07:09 PM
    It only takes a new function once in a while to make a deal-breaker. I just started getting my voicemail automatically translated to text on my AT&T iPhone. I have no idea whether AT&T or iOS10 turned on this functionality but I can tell you that, going forward, I would never consider a smartphone or mobile carrier that didn't do this. Not having to listen to voicemails, anymore, is priceless and I didn't even know that I needed it.
    09-21-16 01:44 PM
    Welcome to Google Voice 2009. LOL.

09-21-16 02:53 PM
    There are a lot of non-core apps that matter. The difference between core and situational is simply when you need them.

For example, I uninstall Taxi/Ride-Sharing apps when I'm in my home city/state, because I don't need them. But when I'm away on business or pleasure (ie... when I fly from Denver to Boston), I usually have Taxi/Ride-Sharing/Restaraunt-Booking/etc.. installed on my phone. Then they get uninstalled when I'm back home. My last visit to Florida I had the Disney Parks app installed on my device (which was oddly more useful than I had initially expected), and of course was removed the moment I left the Disney Parks for the last time.

When I have to fly, depending on the Airline, I'll have their particular app installed for flight updates, but once the trip is over those apps are uninstalled as I don't need them.

And then there are times that I will go 6-7 months without installing any apps, simply because nothing has come up where an app will help.

But the whole point is, whenever I'm in a situation where I ask myself the question "Ya know? It'd be nice if there were an app that did <insert need here>." Usually a 1 or 2 second search on the Play Store will provide exactly that, because somebody else had already thought of it.

So sure... many smartphone users don't install daily/monthly (and dare I say annually). But the selling factor is that they're there when you need them.
    09-21-16 03:28 PM
    So I have a "burner " android phone for access to a few apps that I can't access via BB10 (my banking app, Snapchat) I could side load my banking app but I don't trust the integrity of a side loaded app for banking. Snapchat is the only system that has banned me for using a BlackBerry device.

With my kit kat android, I really don't use any other apps that I couldn't find on BlackBerry. There's usually a slight performance delay.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 10:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    I basically agree. There is an app or two that is nice to have but well that is it. Let's face it, the "App" days are over and the average user doesn't care. The excitement is gone.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 06:24 PM
    I basically agree. There is an app or two that is nice to have but well that is it. Let's face it, the "App" days are over and the average user doesn't care. The excitement is gone.

Posted via CB10
    The problem for BB or other players with a failed app store is that *my* three core apps are not *your* three core apps - and suddenly you need a few hundred core apps.
    09-25-16 03:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'll agree that people aren't every week downloading dozens of new apps... I doubt most that I know try more than one new app every couple of months. But as others have stated, there are for each person a number of core apps that they do use on a regular basis and that they will reinstall when they buy a new phone. If that new phone was incapable of installing one or more of those expected core apps.... it would be returned for one that could. (sorry BB10 and Windows)

I do think the "excitement" has quieted down as the app market is pretty mature at this point. But the importance of apps to a mobile platform has never been higher.

Our local warehouse store just implemented a new app.... you scan an items barcode with the app, and you pay for the item with the app and you show the receipt from the app to the "checker" at the door and you are done. No waiting 10 mins or more in line at the checkout, no questions about prices for unmarked item.... Sorry but Apps aren't dead.
    pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    09-27-16 08:21 AM
    I'll agree that people aren't every week downloading dozens of new apps... I doubt most that I know try more than one new app every couple of months. But as others have stated, there are for each person a number of core apps that they do use on a regular basis and that they will reinstall when they buy a new phone. If that new phone was incapable of installing one or more of those expected core apps.... it would be returned for one that could. (sorry BB10 and Windows)

I do think the "excitement" has quieted down as the app market is pretty mature at this point. But the importance of apps to a mobile platform has never been higher.

Our local warehouse store just implemented a new app.... you scan an items barcode with the app, and you pay for the item with the app and you show the receipt from the app to the "checker" at the door and you are done. No waiting 10 mins or more in line at the checkout, no questions about prices for unmarked item.... Sorry but Apps aren't dead.
    sad to say i really want to try this out at Sams next time we go lol
    09-27-16 08:52 AM
    sad to say i really want to try this out at Sams next time we go lol
    Made our trip yesterday a better experience.... was a rare "in and out" for just one item (the Members Mark version of Yeti cups - two pack for $19.99).

Only thing is it only works in the store, can't pre select things....
    09-27-16 09:09 AM
    I have not download a new app for 3 months.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    09-28-16 07:28 AM
    I haven't downloaded an app for a while either. However, I counted apps on my iPhone. I have 297. Okay, I should clean them up a bit but still use a lot of apps frequently.
    09-28-16 05:14 PM
    Bring in:
    - Facebook,
    - Instagram,
    - keep WhatsApp,
    - keep Twitter,
    - SnapChat
    - Pinterest and the other usuall suspects...

Keep them up to date and this will dramatically change!

I get about 1 update every 6 months...
    What shall I care about?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 04:34 AM
    If you go open a bank account at a new bank, you'll want their app. It won't matter if that app is brand new or has been around for 5+ years; it's still new to you, but you'll want it.

The same is true if you buy a new car, or if you buy a new home alarm, or a new smart door lock, or a drone. You might have a new restaurant open up nearby, or some other new service. The world changes every day, and an ecosystem needs to change with it.

Apps that are important to me might not be important to you, and that's okay, but it doesn't mean they aren't important. It's no different than, say, TV channels.

Most people watch less than a dozen TV channels on any kind of a regular basis. So why don't we only have 12 channels? Simple: though most of us watch 12 channels or less, they aren't the SAME 12 channels as the folks next door, or down the street. You may wonder why you have 130 channels in your basic package, and wonder who watches some of those channels - but your neighbors wonder the same thing about the channels you watch.

This is why having a diverse ecosystem is so important, and why TV providers don't simply carry the Top 20 channels; they'd lose a ton of business to their competitors who put 130 channels in their entry-level tier.
    To bad that the world will be stuck with only 2 mobile OS. Android and iOS. It seems people want 130 tv channels but are happy with only 2 mobile platforms!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    zocster and Karan Riar like this.
    10-21-16 02:20 AM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...p-problem.html

Similar discussion going on over the other platform facing the same challenges.
    10-21-16 02:43 AM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...p-problem.html

Similar discussion going on over the other platform facing the same challenges.
    And probably with the same purpose, which is to "prove" that Apps aren't important.
    10-21-16 03:07 AM
    I would be thankful if I was able to use my BlackBerry10 device as I was used to in 2015.
    Which is sad!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-16 03:07 AM
    To bad that the world will be stuck with only 2 mobile OS. Android and iOS. It seems people want 130 tv channels but are happy with only 2 mobile platforms!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Most of us don't have but two or three choices in how we get those Channels. Mobile Platforms are like the Cable or Satellite providers, the Channels are the Apps. BlackBerry is like a "new" satellite provider that came along that only had a few of the generic channels and shopping channels... but just not enough "real" content (Movies, Sports, Local), but at the same prices as your other providers.

People were perfectly happy with one computer operating system for 20 years... they really just don't care. (Don't bring up the other OSs... 90% of people didn't know they existed).
    10-21-16 07:40 AM
26 12