Please note that this is not a bash Apple (or Droid) thread. I own several devices across all three platforms. It's just a general rant.

I was speaking with a coworker of mine about the issues I'm having with IOS8 and told him that I sold my iPhone 6 because I'm going back to BlackBerry. When I said that, the floodgates opened.

Three other coworkers joined in clowning BlackBerry because it's outdated, bankrupt, old fashioned and because no one uses them anymore. The original coworker I spoke to advised me to get a Droid. He said he's against BlackBerry because they aren't cool anymore and people will make fun of me. This guy is 50+ by the way.

After explaining to my coworkers that BB works for me and I'd rather pay for a phone that makes sense for my lifestyle rather than one that's cool, they were dumbfounded. These are intelligent people, but they still didn't get it.

Anyway, the conversation continued until I made a sarcastic quip about their lame reasoning against using a BlackBerry. This begs the question: how much does popularity weigh in on phone purchases?

I've noticed that when people are given and shown accurate information about new BB devices, they end up being surprised and liking them, but they stop short of saying they would buy. Can anyone explain or want to share similar experiences?
    12-11-14 12:59 PM
    They don't call them isheep for nothing. Make the decision on what is best for you, not the flavor of the week. You will be way happier. I am the only BlackBerry user in my department but 9 times out of 10 my phone becomes the go to because of reliability.
    12-11-14 01:29 PM
    Haha, tough crowd. I would break the Blackberry stereo type by not saying anything about their phones and just rattle on that I love my phone with confidence. There's no need to get personal and shake things up over a phone with your co-workers. You want to build relationship with them not shatter them.

For me if someone has something negative to say about my Passport, I just say meh, I ignore them and tell them to me it's the best phone I have ever purchase and I love it myself, you don't have to like it but it's my own personal choice. Leave it at that and they might get curious and secretly go look on Blackberry website to check out new phones.
    12-11-14 01:34 PM
    Herd mentality is not new and may actually be anthropological. What I mean is it may be normal for people to feel safer or at ease when they have something in common with other people. This may go back thousands of years and may be part of our desire for self-preservation. Keeping up with the Joneses and being cool may be modern consumer manifestations of those instincts. It may not make a lot of sense when you're talking smartphones but hey, conformity is drummed into us from an early age. The concepts of "what works for you" and "to each his/her own" may only be important for choices that don't matter to others. You'd think that cellphone choice would be something that others shouldn't care about but in today's world many people (including lots here) do.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 01:43 PM
    I had a meeting this morning. Everyone was messing with me over my passport. They have known for years I'm a blackberry guy.we all had company BlackBerry phones at one time.

I just joke along with them. I can't change anyone. Hopefully in time..i love the phone!

Passport on ATT
    bb624, mithrazor, cbSwim and 2 others like this.
    12-11-14 01:51 PM
    Use the right tools, not what others think will be right for your job.

via Z10-ER
    Mangelhaft, jdesignz and ponpiri like this.
    12-11-14 01:55 PM
    Aw it's all in good fun! We're an opinionated bunch. The only time I've seen a real argument is the Ray Rice fiasco.
    12-11-14 02:21 PM
    I'm from Vancouver British Columbia and here there are a lot of Blackberry phones, at least in my group of friends anyway, so I rarely have any one giving me a hard time about my phone. What I find interesting though if someone ever does if something derogatory about my phone it's always a iPhone user and not an Android user. I find this interesting because Android by far in the majority of phones out there.

Posted via CB10
    keepit dry, ponpiri and sunjammer like this.
    12-11-14 02:51 PM
    That's been my experience too. The lion's share of BlackBerry bashing comes from iPhone people. If I hear about their comfort zone with their precious "ecosystem" one more time I'm going to scream! They still can't send multiple attachments in an email yet for Pete's sake.

I BlackBerry therefore I am.
    12-11-14 03:15 PM
    Followers always get super fussy when something is out of the ordinary or against the grain.

They were probably just banding together to make themselves feel important / better which is compensating for the fact that they can barely think for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    Mangelhaft and ponpiri like this.
    12-11-14 04:06 PM
    "BlackBerries are old, not cool and people will make fun of them."

Same applies for majority of the people in the work force, but they still have greater value than the ones saying those things.

Same perspective for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 04:20 PM
    I'm from Vancouver British Columbia and here there are a lot of Blackberry phones, at least in my group of friends anyway, so I rarely have any one giving me a hard time about my phone. What I find interesting though if someone ever does if something derogatory about my phone it's always a iPhone user and not an Android user. I find this interesting because Android by far in the majority of phones out there.

Posted via CB10
    I have noticed that too. My friends with iPhones always ask what do I have against iPhones. I tell them to use what works for them and not to worry about it. I am also having to help them with their devices. I like Android phones, and never have problems with the Android users making fun of my choices. I find that the OS10 and Android platforms are relatable.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    ponpiri and LordOfFreedom like this.
    12-11-14 04:32 PM
    Good show, I see this all the time, my boss uses a BlackBerry as well. I know lots that uses it, most iphoners know not to come at me with that nonsense as my blood runs BlackBerry.

Send from the amazing powers of the ? Z30
    ponpiri, Skyforever, SoSaa and 1 others like this.
    12-11-14 04:37 PM
    I will never get this iPhone hype. I have a work iPhone and I honestly don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-11-14 04:46 PM
    It's hard to convince a100,000,000 people that they are wrong, but they are wrong.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 04:54 PM
    I hate to tell your co worker BUT... iPhone is not cool. Neither is ridding a harley with leather chaps on, unless you have a dream to become one of the village people. Being 50+...not cool, unless your able to attract much younger women. Anything that is stereotypical falls into the not cool category. Taking big risks, cool. Trail blazing, cool. Going with what you believe, cool. Doing what no one else is doing, cool. . And please don't ask me how I know, bc that's not cool.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 05:03 PM
    A herd mentality depends on the group you are in. If you happened to be in a group of BB10 users and said you were switching back to an iPhone you would be met with the same disdain. Look at the group of people here. If a thread was started saying that someone was going back to an iPhone the response wouldn't be met with "Oh that's too bad, hope it works for you." You would be met with "Go ahead you sheep and be a part of the herd."

BB users who rail against users of other platforms are a part of their own herd but they just don't want to admit it.
    TgeekB, TGR1, shaleem and 9 others like this.
    12-11-14 05:03 PM
    I was at a party recently and a friend noticed that I had a phone that read BlackBerry on it. He said he thought it was just another Android. (It's the Z30.) He asked if it was running the newest OS and asked to hold it. He seemed to like the styling and weight. He called over another person, who I later learned worked for Apple. (I didn't ask in what capacity.) He looked at the Z30 and asked to hold it too. I briefly demonstrated getting to the Hub, swiped to show some Android apps on the phone (since my friend said he heard it could run Android apps). I could tell that they didn't see anything of huge interest, i.e. it probably seemed on par with other smartphones to them - no break out feature. The whole experience was actually fine - no teasing about BlackBerry being outdated or going-out-of-business. The final question I was asked was whether I had always been a BlackBerry user, in which case I replied yes, and I think that confirmed to my friend that that was why I have a BlackBerry, because I've been a loyal user, not necessarily because I just discovered it was better than Android, iOS or Windows Phone.
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-11-14 05:08 PM
    iSheep make me laugh. Seriously. Try this - ask one of the flock for a contact number that you have and know they have also. try to pick one right in the middle of the alphabet. Now watch the hair ball stick out their index finger and do a motion like they are paddling a small water craft up river. and as they go past it they will then paddle back down stream.
    12-11-14 05:13 PM
    iSheep make me laugh. Seriously. Try this - ask one of the flock for a contact number that you have and know they have also. try to pick one right in the middle of the alphabet. Now watch the hair ball stick out their index finger and do a motion like they are paddling a small water craft up river. and as they go past it they will then paddle back down stream.
    As opposed to searching for the contact from the contacts app or from the home screen?
    shaleem, ponpiri and MikeX74 like this.
    12-11-14 05:20 PM
    Its good to be different!

Had a heated conversation about BlackBerry at work today...-blackberry_passport_red_final.jpg
    12-11-14 05:40 PM
    Pretty simple.... popularity in anything equals acceptance and makes you feel the rightness of our choice... if you are in the "in" crowd you are automatically accepted reenforcing that you made the right choice.... when something threatens your belief you tend to lash out... reason goes out the window.... facts do not matter... only defending what you believe matters whether true or not... the classic definition of a fanboi.....
    12-11-14 05:58 PM
    Or they can pull down the spotlight search and start typing the contact name.
    12-11-14 06:27 PM
    I have noticed that too. My friends with iPhones always ask what do I have against iPhones. I tell them to use what works for them and not to worry about it. I am also having to help them with their devices. I like Android phones, and never have problems with the Android users making fun of my choices. I find that the OS10 and Android platforms are relatable.

Posted via Q10 with 1154

Strangely enough, the folks giving me the hardest time were Droid users. I think this was the case for me because I currently use an iPhone. They assumed that since I was dumping IOS I would go to Droid. After lunch, one of the iPhone users tried to educate the Droid guys on the new BlackBerrys. Her sister and brother-in-law work for BB, so she knew a lot about them. The Droid guys weren't having it, though!
    12-11-14 07:05 PM
    I hate to tell your co worker BUT... iPhone is not cool. Neither is ridding a harley with leather chaps on, unless you have a dream to become one of the village people. Being 50+...not cool, unless your able to attract much younger women. Anything that is stereotypical falls into the not cool category. Taking big risks, cool. Trail blazing, cool. Going with what you believe, cool. Doing what no one else is doing, cool. . And please don't ask me how I know, bc that's not cool.

Posted via CB10
    How is being 50+ stereotypical? And if a guy rides his Harley with chaps on because he thinks it's cool and he believes in it then that's not cool?

You whole post is just one big hypocritical mess.
    12-11-14 07:12 PM
306 123 ...