Anybody have any information on hacking the GPS so that it will work outside the us on a sprint based CDMA/GSM device?

For some reason the GPS only works sometimes, and its one of the most frequently used items when i'm abroad.

I am in service and have data coverage. Also clear plain site of the sky, with no clouds or buildings or anything.
    01-19-11 07:26 PM
    GPS works perfectly fine outside the U.S. And in GSM mode, I've personally used Google Maps plus Facebook Places in Panama (central america) on a prepaid BIS carrier without any problems.

Are you on a carrier with BIS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 08:09 PM
    I find the GPS works BETTER outside the US.

Case(s) in point - Costa Rica, Germany, Hong Kong, mainland China, and Italy.

Conversely, GPS is "spotty" outside of my home area, notably in Los Angeles and (very bad) Houston, TX.
    01-20-11 01:53 AM
    Are you guys sure your roaming with GSM and not CDMA? What phone do you have?

I've experienced this problem with the 8830, the Tour (9630), and the new bold (9650). It works sometimes, but sometimes it doesnt (most of the time).

Do you guys have sprint blackberry's? I've used my sprint sim in a GSM only blackberry that I bought overseas, and it worked fine.
    01-20-11 01:32 PM
    Are you guys sure your roaming with GSM and not CDMA? What phone do you have?
    Yes I'm absolutely certain I'm roaming with GSM (in Europe, Japan, Hong Kong, mainland China, and Costa Rica).

With that said, GPS worked great while roaming on CDMA in Mexico (quickly found me within 4 meters). I did not try CDMA in China because I was scared of the higher roaming fees (which I later learned were irrelevant - with Verizon/Vodafone 'global plan' = 'global' regardless of what technology or carrier you use).

I've experienced this problem with the 8830, the Tour (9630), and the new bold (9650). It works sometimes, but sometimes it doesnt (most of the time).
    Not sure why you're having this issue. Do you have GPS Services set to "Location On" *and* Location Aiding set to "Enabled" (not "Disabled When Roaming") ?

Do you guys have sprint blackberry's? I've used my sprint sim in a GSM only blackberry that I bought overseas, and it worked fine.
    I have a Verizon BlackBerry. My last Sprint BlackBerry was a non-global, non-GPS 8703e.
    01-20-11 02:13 PM
    Yes I have location and Aiding enabled. Sometimes it works, very accurately too, but usually it will not.

It must have something to do with sprint.
    01-20-11 02:20 PM
    My GPS also worked better outside the US.
    01-20-11 02:26 PM
    lili are you sprint (as it says in your profile?)

What phone are you using?
    01-20-11 02:29 PM
    I'm in the UK now and am having this same trouble with a Verizon device running the official Sprint OS6. I can usually get it to work again by turning off then on all connections, but it'll usually only work for about 10 min, and only if I don't switch to any other app than the one using the GPS. Very very annoying.
    01-20-11 02:36 PM
    lili are you sprint (as it says in your profile?)

What phone are you using?
    Uhh, 9650 on Sprint, just like it says.
    01-20-11 03:44 PM
    Uhh, 9650 on Sprint, just like it says.
    Sorry new to the forums, was just looking at the mini info next to your name.

What OS are you running? Do you have the unlimited international data plan when you travel abroad?

What software are you using for the GPS?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    01-20-11 03:48 PM
    Sorry new to the forums, was just looking at the mini info next to your name.

What OS are you running? Do you have the unlimited international data plan when you travel abroad?

What software are you using for the GPS?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    I had OS 5. I mainly use Google Maps. Unfortunately, Sprint discontinued the unlimited international data plan.
    01-20-11 03:52 PM
    Tried to pm you but you have pms off. If you email or pm me, i'll tell you how to get that unlimted international plan back.
    01-20-11 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD