Hi,

How do I know if I have had spyware installed on my blackberry so my partner can spy on me?

It is possible he has installed some kind of software on my Blackberry as he knows the password for it and could of done it while I was sleeping. The reason why I suspect is that he knows of something I said to my mum in a private conversation. It could be a lucky guess on his behalf but I'm don't want to risk it. I have nothing to hide from him but if he is spying on me, I want to know so I can end the relationship. I don't need this level of paranoia in my life

Also he brought a very basic samsung phone and told me it was a spy phone. He said he all he needed was the telephone number of the mobile he wanted to spy on and he would able to see any sms messages sent or recieved and listen in to phone calls or just turn the mic on and listen to whatever was happening near said phone. I doubt this as I have researched it and found out that only way to spy on a phone was to install software on the device but still, why lie?

I don't really want to have to wipe my phone unless I have too.

Please help
    Thanks
    02-29-12 06:26 AM
    Unless he is joking around, the fact that he mentions he can spy on your BB makes me think it's time to drop that partner.
    Barljo and Chrisy like this.
    02-29-12 06:29 AM
    Regardless of my crazy partner, I just want to know if any of this is possible
    02-29-12 06:33 AM
    Yes its partially possible, but you need access to the phone. You can install programs that will allow access to msg's and location and even what numbers were called, but not to listen in to conversations, at least none that i know of. As you stated, he knows the password to your phone, so its also possible that he checked your msg's while you were sleeping.
    02-29-12 06:47 AM
    If you have a BB7 phone, open Options, Device, Application Management. Click the bar at the top where is says Applications with the word All underneath. Select Optional. Carefully read through the list of Applications. See if there is something there you don't recognize. If there is, google the name to see what it does.

You can also check the Required list but it is unlikely there would be a 3rd party product in that list.

As far as I know, your can't put something on a BB without having it show up in one of these lists.
    Opps, I messed this up, dang wifi.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-29-12 at 07:15 AM.
    02-29-12 07:11 AM
    If you have a BB7 phone, open Options, Device, Application Management. Click the bar at the top where is says Applications with the word All underneath. Select Optional. Carefully read through the list of Applications. See if there is something there you don't recognize. If there is, google the name to see what it does.

You can also check the Required list but it is unlikely there would be a 3rd party product in that list.

As far as I know, your can't put something on a BB without having it show up in one of these lists.
    That makes it easy.
    02-29-12 07:14 AM

Thanks for this.

Checked through the list and nothing untoward there so he has either bugged my flat or is just very good at guessing what I talk about.
    02-29-12 07:14 AM
    Lol he doesn't work for either but you can get anything on London's black market
    Maybe should listen to 'oniberry' and drop him.
    02-29-12 07:32 AM
    There is no maybe about it.

As a woman, if I had even the slightest idea that this is possible, I would drop this person.

Do not take this possibility lightly. Do not take this person lightly. There are loads of danger signals in your post.

Yes, I'm making this personal. But I would rather say it and get in trouble for it than to let it go. Good luck.
    02-29-12 07:40 AM
    Check the modules names not just the application names.
    02-29-12 07:43 AM
    Just on principle... wipe the device and change your password. If you decide to stick with him, don't give him your new password under any circumstances. If he questions why you changed your password, that'll be another red flag.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-29-12 07:48 AM
    Check the modules names not just the application names.
    How do I do that?
    02-29-12 07:50 AM
    Really...like why don't you just change your password...or maybe you talk in your sleep
    02-29-12 08:13 AM
    How do I do that?
    Go into your application management, press menu, modules.
    cvicki88 likes this.
    02-29-12 08:17 AM
    I agree with Qbnkelt. There are a lot of red flags. There's a question in my mind though. If he's either actually done something to your phone or has a nasty enough sense of humor to make you think he did, I'd say it might be wise to get some professional advice on the proper exit strategy. Just to make sure you stay safe. He's probably harmless with an odd sense of humor. But being overcautious is still better than not protecting yourself.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-29-12 08:37 AM
    Thank you for all your caring advice.

I think it just boils down to his insecurities and my unfaithfulness at the beginning of our relationship. He is just making me think it is a possibility to ensure I don't cheat again i.e. if I think he has excess to my incoming and outgoing msg and phone calls, I'm not going to cheat because I will undoubtedly get caught so I won't.

The thread was purely a question about whether any of this is technically possible, I really do appreciate the care though.
    02-29-12 08:45 AM
    I recommend that the both of you need to shut your phones off for a day and spend some time together talking face to face.

You both seem to have some issues to work through. If you don't deal with them, the relationship is going to end badly.

As far as your phone goes, I would wipe it just to be on the safe side.

Good luck to you.
    cvicki88 likes this.
    02-29-12 10:02 AM
    If your jealous partner is an iPhone/android/windows-phone user you should dump him/her and find someone with a BB...

Use Wikitude, there's someone for you in augmented reality
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-29-12 at 10:47 AM.
    02-29-12 10:42 AM
    Dear OP,
    I know your question is about "is it possible", the answer is yes, with the right software.

Personally, if it were me and I had to ask that question, THAT would be my answer. Just the need to ask shows me everything I need to know.

Good luck.
    02-29-12 11:37 AM
    Thank you for all your caring advice.

I think it just boils down to his insecurities and my unfaithfulness at the beginning of our relationship. He is just making me think it is a possibility to ensure I don't cheat again i.e. if I think he has excess to my incoming and outgoing msg and phone calls, I'm not going to cheat because I will undoubtedly get caught so I won't.

The thread was purely a question about whether any of this is technically possible, I really do appreciate the care though.
    That brings up its own set of questions. How much had you seen of each other at that point when you were unfaithful? Was it enough to call it a relationship or did one of you still consider it dating instead of a relationship? If getting caught is, as it's described, now the only thing keeping you from straying, is there really a relationship?

Second part. When I was much younger, I was pretty insecure. That never got me to the point of spying on the young ladies I dated or developed relationships with. And it didn't get me to the point of threatening that kind of thing. Unless you enjoy a relationship where fear, threats and insecurity are the basis for staying together, why would you want to keep it going? And remember that enough insecurity on his part could take it to a level that includes physical abuse.

What several of us here have been suggesting is that there's nothing in your relationship that indicates it's really based on a positive bond that can develop into something longterm and enjoyable by both. Sex is a wonderful thing, but it's not the thing that keeps relationships strong. It's the strong relationship that keeps the sex good.

Think about it.
    Last edited by kraski; 02-29-12 at 12:23 PM.
    02-29-12 12:21 PM
    "I'm not going to cheat because I will undoubtedly get caught so I won't."

You are doing the man a disservice by not ending the relationship. You wouldn't have been around the next day had it been me. It is obvious that what you do or hide on your phone is more important to you than he is, otherwise, you wouldn't be here to ask.

It is further obvious that this thread was started with the intent of making "him" out to be the bad guy. FAIL.

After reading all of this thread, you are not the person he expects you to be without expecting you to be anything.

Wow. Just wow.

You are asking about HIS credibility?
    If you're going to snip the quote, don't snip out pertinent information resulting in a quote taken out of context.

She wasn't saying she won't cheat because she will get caught. She was using that as an example of what's going through her mate's mind as he rationalises his reasoning for spying or pretending to spy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 02:06 PM
    Very very interesting! And slightly funny. I would change the password on your device if I were you. Also, if you are that paranoid, wipe the device and re-install your os.
    02-29-12 02:25 PM
    why not just do a system wipe to make sure nothing is there.
    02-29-12 02:44 PM
    So you cheated on him? Wtf is the poor fool still doing with you?
    02-29-12 02:54 PM
    Yeah, when pigs fly out of my arse. She didn't take him seriously from day one. It's a relationship of convenience, obviously.
    So what if she didn't? Since when does the first date define exclusivity? How much of the story do you know outside of what she mentioned in this thread? For all you know, she may have been dating a few people until she decided on who was worth sticking with. Why not? Until a formal commitment is made, all bets are off.

But I digress.. The point of the thread was to address the possibility of spying/spyware. Judgemental opinions should have never been in play.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 03:04 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD