http://blog.globalwebindex.net/wp-co...-Mobile-OS.png

GWI: Q3 2013 Mobile OS userbase : WP  68m and BB 62m IOS: 232m Android: 703m-5-mobile-os.png
    Mobile OS platforms continue to grow rapidly as highlighted by our latest infographic for Q3.

GWI: Q3 2013 Mobile OS userbase : WP  68m and BB 62m IOS: 232m Android: 703m-5-mobile-os-2.png

This looks at the actual operating systems that people are currently using rather than shipments to provide a more accurate picture of the market as it stands.

What is clear (and not a surprise) is that the Mobile OS market is increasingly dominated by Android and iOS, with Android growing 27% in 2013 to an estimated 708m users. However iOS was the fastest-growing mobile OS expanding a massive 58% in 2013 to an estimated 233m users, bolstered by continued growth in emerging internet markets.

The big surprise, however, was the growth of Windows Phone, which expanded 37% to hit a total of 68m users and is now bigger than BlackberryOS.

Break down the numbers by market share and the only two climbers are Android and iOS, rising to 57% and 19% respectfully. These two operating systems now account for 66% of the market.
    10-30-13 02:02 AM
    Thanks for the information - great infographic breakdown of the facts ;-)

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    10-30-13 05:16 AM
    So you're trying to say that "we're #4"?
    10-30-13 06:05 AM
    Ya but that doesn't include bb10?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Unsure if serious lol

But BB10 hasn't sold the 6m required to make the jump for BlackBerry to be #3 from those stats.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:25 AM
    Unsure if serious lol

But BB10 hasn't sold the 6m required to make the jump for BlackBerry to be #3 from those stats.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe we should wait till the earnings report after next for the Z30 numbers to come in. After all, it hasn't launched in all countries and hasn't been on sell for a full quarter yet.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I used to see people make comments similar to that nearly everyday here. First we had to wait for the Z10 to hit all countries. Then wait for it to be available for an entire quarter. Then the same with the numbers from the Q10. "The Q10 wasn't for sell the whole quarter, better wait for the next earnings report". Some posters even said it about the Q5, as if that phone was gonna turn things around BlackBerry 10.

I kinda miss seeing those comments.
    BBThemes, notfanboy and mikeo007 like this.
    10-30-13 06:47 AM
    Windows is 3rd only because they hored the crap out the the phones. Selling them dirt cheap off contract for $100 and less continuously. But this caused money issues for Nokia. They pretty much were going broke for 2014 if Microsoft didn't buy the phone division.

Maybe going Blackberry route was the better option. After all, Nokia is gone, Blackberry still stands.
    10-30-13 07:02 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 07:11 AM
    Windows is 3rd only because they hored the crap out the the phones. Selling them dirt cheap off contract for $100 and less continuously. But this caused money issues for Nokia. They pretty much were going broke for 2014 if Microsoft didn't buy the phone division.

Maybe going Blackberry route was the better option. After all, Nokia is gone, Blackberry still stands.
    you're talking non-sense man
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-30-13 07:18 AM

using that `cheap phone` logic, whats your view on all the users gained by the dirt cheap curves?

`nokia is gone` if you mean sold, then why yes it is, now, tell me, isnt BlackBerry about to sell itself too
    10-30-13 07:36 AM

Increasing their marketshare in the smartphone business by 37% was a bad thing? As I understood Nokia their problems were a shrinking dumbphone business, but their smartphone business with the Lumia line was starting to see traction and profits.

Saying the BlackBerry's route was the better option is like saying that if the Titanic hit the Iceberg on the side that did the least amount of damage....

One very strange fact of the chart was that BB OS grew..... By all accounts BlackBerry has been loosing customers faster than they have been adding new ones. But they show 62 Million as a 5% increase??? Calls this whole chart into question... If BlackBerry was doing anything good, we would see Thor rise from the mists of and proclaim it.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    10-30-13 07:47 AM
    It seems Microsoft is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. If they can unify the programming model for desktop, tablet, phone and XBOX, the platform would become too big to be ignored by developers. This unification is supposed to happen in q1 2014.
    guitarrista likes this.
    10-30-13 08:46 AM
    Cuz to me BlackBerryOS means legacy devices only. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_OS

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 10:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    The didn't separate the different versions of Android or iOS, why would they for BlackBerry?
    10-30-13 12:09 PM
    you could not really call BB7 a mobile computing platform, and the trend is BBOS dropping quickly.

It only tells BBOS is doomed.
    10-30-13 12:18 PM

One very strange fact of the chart was that BB OS grew..... By all accounts BlackBerry has been loosing customers faster than they have been adding new ones. But they show 62 Million as a 5% increase??? Calls this whole chart into question... If BlackBerry was doing anything good, we would see Thor rise from the mists of and proclaim it.
    Yeah I find that quite strange as well, had to check my eyes to make sure it wasn't a -5%.
    10-30-13 12:27 PM
    10-30-13 01:21 PM
    umm sorry but Nokia isn't dead. their phone division goes to MS and also their low end phone are top notch which is the reason why WP is gaining traction because you have apps with a good user experience with a good price. Nokia has other divisions other than the phone one
    10-30-13 01:31 PM
    What's the methodology behind this? It surely can't be a survey with over a billion respondents. Is this another statcounter type of thing?

Edit: Oh wait, they've "estimated" the number of users. Likely extrapolated from a much smaller subset from some sort of survey. Good or bad, these numbers are to be taken with the same grain of salt as all other surveys. What matters is whether or not enough people are using the phones to make a profit.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-30-13 01:45 PM
    Windows is 3rd only because they hored the crap out the the phones
    I also find it hard to believe that Windows Phone is even half that many in use right now. If Nokia makes up 80+% of the market and they shipped an aggregate total of 36 million since launching, I don't know how Windows Phone would be that high! It's definitely showing upward momentum but an active user base of almost 70 million? Come on ... where do the other 32 million shipments come from, never mind forgetting the fact that not all of the shipments may not be in use.

Q1 3,000,000
    Q2 4,000,000
    Q3 2,900,000
    Q4 4,400,000
    Q1 5,600,000
    Q2 7,400,000
    Q3 8,800,000
    Total 36,100,000

I know you're a big Windows Phone fan, Danny, but be realistic - how on earth would there be 68.3 million in use when the dominant player has barely shipped half that the entire time they've been doing it?
    10-30-13 04:36 PM
    I also find it hard to believe that Windows Phone is even half that many in use right now. If Nokia makes up 80+% of the market and they shipped an aggregate total of 36 million since launching, I don't know how Windows Phone would be that high! It's definitely showing upward momentum but an active user base of almost 70 million? Come on ... where do the other 32 million shipments come from, never mind forgetting the fact that not all of the shipments may not be in use.

Q13,000,000
    Q24,000,000
    Q32,900,000
    Q44,400,000
    Q15,600,000
    Q27,400,000
    Q38,800,000
    Total36,100,000

I know you're a big Windows Phone fan, Danny, but be realistic - how on earth would there be 68.3 million in use when the dominant player has barely shipped half that the entire time they've been doing it?

Dude I don't know why they have that much I'm just wondering why WP is that high. Plus I'm not just a WP fan I have a Z10 but I'm not blind and I know BBs future is a software company

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    10-30-13 09:49 PM

Q1 3,000,000
    Q2 4,000,000
    Q3 2,900,000
    Q4 4,400,000
    Q1 5,600,000
    Q2 7,400,000
    Q3 8,800,000
    Total 36,100,000

It would appear that you're only counting the newer Windows Phone devices. You only counted back 7 quarters, and arrived at 36,000,000 units. That don't work unless you're assuming the same holds true for the count of BlackBerry devices. Which I'm sure it don't. Realistically, there is no question that the vast majority of the counted BlackBerry devices in these graphs are far older than 7 quarters.

Basically, you're saying it is ok to count all of those people out there who are still using 3,4, 5 and so on, year old BlackBerry devices, but limiting Windows Phone to less than 2 years. You'll notice that I said "Windows Phone". You may also notice that all of the graphs also point out Windows Phone. Not Windows Phone 7 or 8. Just Windows Phone.

Not sure where the confusion on your end came from, but I'm pretty sure those graphs aren't unfairly counting every BlackBerry device in use while only counting newer Windows Phone devices like you tried to do.

If it is ok to group BlackBerry OS 4 devices with BlackBerry 10 devices, shouldn't it also be ok to count Windows Mobile along side Windows Phone?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-30-13 11:43 PM
    It would appear that you're only counting Windows Phone 8 devices. You only counted back 7 quarters, and arrived at 36,000,000 units.
    also worth noting that the 8.8m figure for the last quarter is actually the nokia lumia figure only. i know i know, not many other WP phones have been selling, but its probably a fair ammount over the lifespan of the platform, so should really be every WP not just lumia`s.

How that would affect it im not sure, but i agree WP is 7 and 8 (and 7.5 or whatever they called it)
    10-30-13 11:50 PM
    Yep, the first Windows Mobile device came out in 2000. As in over13 years ago. Seems a bit silly to count back less than two years and act like all those years of Windows Mobile devices simply don't count.
    10-31-13 12:02 AM
    Yep, the first Windows Mobile device came out in 2000. As in over13 years ago. Seems a bit silly to count back less than two years and act like all those years of Windows Mobile devices simply don't count.
    they should definitley count the HTC HD2, that was the phablet of its day! such a awesome looking phone
    Saiga likes this.
    10-31-13 12:07 AM
41 12