This guy name Steve Kovach from Business Insider is very disappointed with BB10 demo this morning in San Jose California. He said all the features that RIM demonstrate Android and Iphone has the same thing. Here is what he wrote:

Unless RIM Comes Has A Big Surprise Waiting For Us, The New BlackBerrys Will Be A Disaster

It just looks bad for RIM.

At its BlackBerry Jam developers conference today, the company showed off the latest iteration of BlackBerry 10, the new mobile operating system launching next year that it's essentially betting the entire company on. (Keep in mind, after months and months of delays, it's still not finished.)

If BB10 isn't a hit, then RIM is dead.

I watched RIM's CEO Thorsten Heins' keynote this morning and came away unimpressed. A bulk of the presentation was spent talking about the excitement surrounding BB10, with very little time dedicated to demos and features. Carriers are excited! Enterprise customers are excited! Fans are excited! Yet Heins didn't give one concrete example of what that means. I don't understand how people can be bullish on a product that has been delayed so many times, a product that looks more and more like it won't be released before RIM collapses. (RIM's new target for BB10 is February 2013, which it says it's still on track to meet. We've heard that line before though.)

It seems like the general consensus among BlackBerry lovers is, "Finally! We get to do all the cool stuff Android and iPhone users can do!" Which is good. BlackBerry fans should be excited that their beloved platform of choice has caught up. There's a lot to like here. The interface looks nice. It seems like a lot of app developers are on board. (Probably because they get a guaranteed $10,000 for making BB10 apps.) Multitasking is brilliant. And there are some cool tweaks like the ability to "flick" a suggested word from the keyboard into the text field to save you time while typing.

But it feels like too little, too late. BB10 looks polished so far, but as far as features go, it doesn't offer much that you can't already do on Android or iPhone. And unless there's some crazy surprise coming when the OS launches next year, I'm not sure RIM will be able to peel away consumers from the competition. Nothing RIM showed today made me go, "Holy cow! I need that!"

None of BB10's features, even when considered in full, seem like they'll be enough to pull people back to Team BlackBerry. Same goes for the untapped market of people buying their first smartphone next year. I don't see a good reason for your average person to go into a store and choose an unproven operating system like BB10 over iPhone or Android.

It's going to be a disaster.

Unless RIM Comes Has A Big Surprise Waiting For Us, The New BlackBerrys Will Be A Disaster - Yahoo! Finance
    baldanders and lucky--lad like this.
    09-25-12 02:27 PM
    Dont worry about trash like this, i bet his hedge fund is short on RIMM so thats why you see these trash reviews.
    mark37724 and anon(3896606) like this.
    09-25-12 02:31 PM
    They gotta keep the gold to themselves or they will be copied into oblivion. Right now they are saying, we're playing with the other guys. Once they release RIM still has time to pack in more unique features and refine their phones. No worries, people are just tired of waiting
    09-25-12 02:32 PM
    It's entirely possible that people won't quite "get" BB10 until it's actually in their hot little hands. It's no more valid to declare that "RIM is doomed" than it is to try and claim that "RIM has turned it around". We won't know either way until this device hits the market.

What I think will happen is: BB10 will make its launch date. BB fans, enterprise, and the curious and bored will give it a good initial bump (defined as, say, 5 mil in the first 90 days), and hopefully they can spread the word.

This writer is making the assumption that BB10 has to be radically different from iOS and Android to merit any attention, and I don't buy into that at all. It merely has to be competitive, and if it offers a solid user experience it will find its own market.
    09-25-12 02:33 PM
    The stuff that was demoed was flow, how things are connected and actions are done.

Now think about it. Its a developer conference, and the focus was to make sure developers follow those principles. Why else do you think you saw examples of UI elements in a presentation and people from foursquare talking about how they ported there application for Blackberry 10?

There is more features that will be shown. Thorsten stated that himself in the keynote. Frankly, they can't show everything because that would give a chance for Android and iOS to implement those features.

I would rather they release all the "ooo" and "ahh" for launch time...
    09-25-12 02:33 PM
    Quite frankly I'm sick of hearing "too little, too late". I can't understand why anyone would ever want a company that's trying harder than any other to innovate and offer a fresh experience to fail. It's just plain silly to want less competition. Without competition RIM would probably be working on on OS8 right now.
    ryacht and Masahiro like this.
    09-25-12 02:36 PM
    I don't care what this guy name Steve Kovach from Business Insider says, neither should you. lol
    09-25-12 02:41 PM
    If BB10 is a big success, and the public likes BlackBerry again, and hopefully it will be, this numbnutz will be saying how great it is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-25-12 02:48 PM
    Could it be that maybe, just possibly, perhaps Steve Kovach is correct?
    09-25-12 02:52 PM
    There are a lot of 'glass half empty' bloggers. Who cares?
    The way I see it, the BB10 UI and apps can do what the competition can do, wrapped it in a nice package with good hardware, so why would a current BB user want to switch to another platform unfamiliar to them.
    I will stick with BB. It looks pretty good to me. If they have some out of this world surprise in store, well, that's just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.
    09-25-12 03:00 PM
    I think this is a glass half full, half empty scenario. If you are positive on RIM, you think BB10 will be a good OS. If you aren't, you think it will be crap.

Until we get it in our hands, won't know the difference really.
    09-25-12 03:02 PM
    "....A bulk of the presentation was spent talking about the excitement surrounding BB10, with very little time dedicated to demos and features. Carriers are excited! Enterprise customers are excited! Fans are excited! Yet Heins didn't give one concrete example of what that means....." [/url]
    Really? This dude doesn't know that this means? is this mor**on completely clueless? Oh.... its from Yahoo Finance. Ya, I'm supposed to believe that he knows what he's talking about.

"........BB10 looks polished so far, but as far as features go, it doesn't offer much that you can't already do on Android or iPhone.[/url]
    WTF!?!? Is he really saying that iOS, Android, Windows, WebOS and BB10 all have the same 'offering'? Really???? No Sh*t!!! All so-called smart-phones do the same thing. its the execution and functionally along with personal preferences that separate the four major brands.

In point of fact its all very small differences that separate the various smart-phone OS's. Ya.... this dude is on the ball all right. Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting its Yahoo Finance. Wink Wink... Say No More... Say No More. A nudge is as good as a shove eh.... So lets shove Yahoo to the back burner of common sense.

Sorry, just my little rant at stupid.
    Last edited by SFWriter; 09-25-12 at 03:07 PM.
    antonnin and esk369 like this.
    09-25-12 03:05 PM
    "Too little, too late" seems to be the catchphrase of BlackBerry 10 naysayers. That's all people can say, anyway. They don't have any reasoning following it. They just say it as if it means something all alone. They can't say why, and it's rather irritating. We should make a meme out of it.

Anyway, who cares what one guy thinks? I was impressed (almost cried out of excitement and the pain of having to wait for it) by what I saw today and I will be getting a BlackBerry 10 device when it launches. I know I'm not alone.
    pmccartney likes this.
    09-25-12 03:07 PM
    There are a lot of 'glass half empty' bloggers. Who cares?
    The way I see it, the BB10 UI and apps can do what the competition can do, wrapped it in a nice package with good hardware, so why would a current BB user want to switch to another platform unfamiliar to them.
    I will stick with BB. It looks pretty good to me. If they have some out of this world surprise in store, well, that's just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.
    And along those same lines, why would a current Android or iPhone user want to switch back? The only way RIM is to thrive is to get back it's market share. This is done by offering up something the others don't have, not what they already do.
    ryacht, pmccartney and Syrous44 like this.
    09-25-12 03:11 PM
    In point of fact its all very small differences that separate the various smart-phone OS's. Ya.... this dude is on the ball all right. Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting its Yahoo Finance. Wink Wink... Say No More... Say No More. A nudge is as good as a shove eh.... So lets shove Yahoo to the back burner of common sense.

Sorry, just my little rant at stupid.
    Mhm, yahoo, the 4th most visited website in the world. Gl w/ that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    09-25-12 03:12 PM
    And along those same lines, why would a current Android or iPhone user want to switch back? The only way RIM is to thrive is to get back it's market share. This is done by offering up something the others don't have, not what they already do.
    I agree. I can/should only speak for myself.
    I do suspect there are many that switched from BB that may come back. A lot of people really like some of the features RIM has to offer. They just want it in a modern package. We will see.
    09-25-12 03:14 PM
    If RIM offered a better battery and just some of the apps I'd be back in a second. Only reason I'm still here.

I like the iphone and all, but some things just annoy the crap out of me. I updated to iOS6, so I lose the maps app I've been using for the past 2 years. Ok, fine. Go to play youtube videos, nope that app is gone too, use the browser. Or go spend a minute of your life downloading the NEW one!

I hate how Apple has to whip it out and compare it to Google every chance they get. Can't wait for their search engine competitor.
    09-25-12 03:16 PM
    What is your name?

Ste..

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQschA2lC_Y[/YT]
    09-25-12 03:22 PM
    LOl...you people are so funny. The rest of the world realizes that BB is on the verge of life support.
    09-25-12 03:26 PM
    I thought about it what this guy says, and I would agree with him IF this was a conference where the device/BB10 was actually being launched for consumers/public. If this was a product launch, then he is right by saying that RIM showed off very little - there was only talk about flow, hub, and peak, a very quick demo of the browser that didn't really show anything such as bookmarks, how it handles video/audio files, etc, no pdf demonstration, and a few social apps with the notable exception of Skype being missing.

But, this was not a product launching event; it was and is a developers conference. And clearly, he doesn't know the difference between these events.
    09-25-12 03:33 PM
    I agree. I can/should only speak for myself.
    I do suspect there are many that switched from BB that may come back. A lot of people really like some of the features RIM has to offer. They just want it in a modern package. We will see.
    I think we can count on at least a few "winbacks", but really, RIM's only hope of achieving critical mass is to produce an appealing product.

I love what I've seen today, and I've got a few agonizingly long hours at work before I get to go home and update my Dev Alpha (why I didn't think to bring it to work today, I have no idea!). What we've been shown is demos. I want a real-world experience (did that page on html5test REALLY come up that fast?!).

If the DA on its own looks as impressive as the demos today, I can show how that baby around and whip up enthusiasm just through word of mouth.

Update: the Dev Alpha update is AWESOME! It is no longer a miniature PlayBook.
    Last edited by Thunderbuck; 09-25-12 at 10:12 PM.
    pmccartney likes this.
    09-25-12 03:34 PM
    RIM CEO Heins to developers: We're No. 3 | Mobile - CNET News

"We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform in the market," said Heins, who took the reigns at RIM nine months ago. "Carriers want other platforms. And we're not just another open platform running on another system. We're BlackBerry."

So I guess everyone will be happy with the #3 slot.

New slogan: We're BlackBerry. We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform

Inspirational.

C'mon guys, outside of the hardcore developer and enthusiast group, who really thinks this is a game changer.
    09-25-12 03:39 PM
    RIM CEO Heins to developers: We're No. 3 | Mobile - CNET News

"We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform in the market," said Heins, who took the reigns at RIM nine months ago. "Carriers want other platforms. And we're not just another open platform running on another system. We're BlackBerry."

So I guess everyone will be happy with the #3 slot.

New slogan: We're BlackBerry. We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform

Inspirational.

C'mon guys, outside of the hardcore developer and enthusiast group, who really thinks this is a game changer.
    As former BB user and still Rim follower. From what i saw today, if Rim implements the final product and os right. It can do real well, as it offers equal performance to whats out on the market in ios and android. Windows 8 and bb10 will be a very compelling choice for consumers fed up with android and ios. I for one might come back to using a bb with my next upgrade if Rim creates a great ecosystem user experience, and from what I saw they are on the right track to just do that and more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-25-12 04:01 PM
    Quite frankly I'm sick of hearing "too little, too late". I can't understand why anyone would ever want a company that's trying harder than any other to innovate and offer a fresh experience to fail. It's just plain silly to want less competition. Without competition RIM would probably be working on on OS8 right now.
    Where did he say he wants RIM to fail?
    richardat likes this.
    09-25-12 04:02 PM
    Where did he say he wants RIM to fail?
    Kovach doesn't come right out and say that in so many words, but his post drips with derision, assumption, and dismissal. This is kind of a hit piece, frankly.

To be clear, I don't object to criticism, provided it has some basis in fact. Kovach's piece was COMPLETELY subjective and provided nothing more than a very pessimistic analysis of the same previews we've all seen today. RIM has given all kinds of cause for pessimism in the past, granted, but they just simply aren't the same company they were even a year ago.
    zyben and esk369 like this.
    09-25-12 04:30 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD