Vigilante jamming cell phone calls on city buses to help preserve peace and quiet | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

At the end of the video it shows the reporter has a bold 9930/00. Tools, not toys.
    03-04-12 08:09 PM
    Jammer should be rewarded for his action not threatened by the guberment. Offensive phone users should be stiffled instead. That's why texting is more useful. No one HEARS your end of the conversation.
    Stewartj1 and Morty2264 like this.
    03-05-12 06:47 PM
    The guy is a goof
    03-05-12 06:56 PM
    that guy has some mental issues.
    the Reporter had a nice cell phone
    03-05-12 07:06 PM
    Would someone please provide a link to the video? When I click on this link it just takes me to a yahoo page with a bunch of articles, and this story isn't one of them.
    03-05-12 07:13 PM
    I noticed that too Tonis. Although something like this would be great in certain situations, in public places without prior notification the end result would be violent. And what if someone on the bus was having a heart attack and tried calling 911? Nothing good comes from power without discression. Dude will get his @ss kicked, for sure! Haha!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 09:25 PM
    Well its nice to see he is going to give it up...
    I really have to agree with him though, some cell users are just out and out frick'in rude. There is no reason in the world that everybody else has to hear about your drunk'in party last night. I like the idea alot of places are now displaying the "Cell Phone Free Zone" signs, and also asking people in restaurants etc to refrain from using them if they are to loud. I have seen this a few times. When I use my cell I always try to be considerate of those around me. I never answer my cell at the cashier or bank teller. The person can wait for a call back. We have an inconsiderate enough society, why add to that?

I have actually told people on a bus and also in a restaurant..."Your privacy is interrupting our public, please turn off your cell". I did it just loud enough so others could hear and it really seems to embarrass them into shutting it down.

We all need to make that important call every now and then...wait 5 minutes, the world will not fall into a crumbling heap because Bob did not hear at that moment that you actually got some last might...for the first time probably.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-06-12 07:57 AM
    Some people are very loud and definetly interrupt an otherwise peaceful time when they are using the phone, However I do not agree with his tactic as a resolution. The reason we have the device is that it allows us to have constant communications on the go and his decision impedes on that ability.
    03-07-12 02:13 AM
    I agree that there are people who are completely disrespectful to those around them especially in public transport, not to stereotype or anything but I've noticed it is usually "ghetto" girls, you know the type... (most of the times wannabees), but this guy is waaaaaay off... hes just being a . He reminds me of people who record people without their consent...not the same but similar attitude.
    03-07-12 02:27 AM
    heehee....yet there are those who would have us believe that we will soon be texting into our phones via voice only...no physical keyboard, no touchscreen....I remember one person on this forum vehemently claiming this was the way of the future.

No, nobody wants to hear sexual exploits, or a thirteen year old doing the "OMG and THEN she SAID THAT?!?!?" thing for half an hour on a bus.

However...communication jamming vigilantes don't realise that someone somewhere someday will get really annoyed when his/her actions become evident. And rightly so.

Guy's a j3rk and should be prosecuted.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-07-12 at 04:57 AM.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-07-12 04:51 AM
    There's going to come a day when someone has a medical emergency and he forgets to turn the jammer off. If the person dies, he'll be facing at least manslaughter charges instead of just a $16,000 fine. Emergency trumps personal preference.
    CrackedBarry likes this.
    03-07-12 07:44 AM
    Who died and elected this guy the "silence" police?
    He'll get what he deserves. You can't change the world by doing something illegal.
    He's a mo-ron.
    kraski likes this.
    03-07-12 09:47 AM
    Who died and elected this guy the "silence" police?
    He'll get what he deserves. You can't change the world by doing something illegal.
    He's a mo-ron.
    Actually, you can change the world by doing something illegal. American Revolution was illegal and you know that if the colonies had lost then the leaders would be put on trial for treason...

I'm not condoning what this guy did, but I do think that there should be rules in place for being just plain rude...
    Last edited by ffejrobins30; 03-07-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I'm "special" and apparently don't know the difference between Revolution and Civil War...
    Stewartj1 and Morty2264 like this.
    03-07-12 10:34 AM
    I think using a mobile phone jammer is taking it to the extreme but people should be more respectful of the passengers around them. China has a good view on mobile phone conversations and it is very much frowned upon using them in confined public spaces such as trains, buses etc.
    Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    03-07-12 11:27 AM
    Actually, you can change the world by doing something illegal. American Civil War was illegal and you know that if the colonies had lost then the leaders would be put on trial for treason...

I'm not condoning what this guy did, but I do think that there should be rules in place for being just plain rude...
    I think you're confusing two different events that were 90 years apart from each other.
    DocDRM likes this.
    03-07-12 11:39 AM
    I think you're confusing two different events that were 90 years apart from each other.
    You are absolutely right. I didn't even bother to proof read and now feel like a complete jack-a$$. I would like to apologize to the American community of which I am a part of for my outstanding idiocy and will edit my post to read REVOLUTION.
    03-07-12 11:42 AM
    Gosh, even I wouldn't talk loud on my blackberry while on the bus/LRT. I use a bike and I don't get to use it unless I come to a complete stop. Done were the days of having to listen to other's screamings/yellings/conplainings/talkings/chatters. I listen to traffic, blaring music and everything else that's not confined to a box with seats on wheels.

But seriously, the jammer will be caught and tried in court.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-07-12 02:24 PM
    If the guy wanted to be a real pain he'd go to an Apple press release date and leave a Jammer there!

the world would die not knowing what was happening to the minute
    03-07-12 02:43 PM
    "If caught and prosecuted, Eric could face a $16,000 fine as well as jail time. After learning of the consequences, he has agreed to get rid of the device."

Translation, wussy hipster.
    03-07-12 03:32 PM
    @jwn66b I wouldn't call him that.
    03-07-12 03:46 PM
    @jwn66b I wouldn't call him that.
    Why not, seems fitting.
    03-07-12 03:54 PM
    There's going to come a day when someone has a medical emergency and he forgets to turn the jammer off. If the person dies, he'll be facing at least manslaughter charges instead of just a $16,000 fine. Emergency trumps personal preference.
    The irony would be if this guy has a heart attack or medical emergency and nobody can get him help because his jammer is silencing them...
    03-07-12 04:02 PM
    The irony would be if this guy has a heart attack or medical emergency and nobody can get him help because his jammer is silencing them...
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't buses move, what about someone in a place the bus is driving by... Since when has talking in a public place been rude lol, people talk to each other in public all the time and they can be just as "annoying" oh but since it's a cell phone and a certain type of people have a stick up there **** about cell phones then it must be "wrong".

And yea, that would be pretty lulzy.
    03-07-12 04:13 PM
    I don't really see the problem people have with phone use while on a bus/train/commuting.

It's not much different than listening to other people gab and socialize on the bus. The only difference is that you only hear 1/2 of their conversation (maybe that's why they're irritated).

It's not like you're in church, at a movie, a library, or some restaurants where volume levels are reasonably expected to be kept low (I get annoyed at loud cellphone conversations in a fine dining establishment, but couldn't care less about them if I'm at McDonald's).
    03-07-12 04:21 PM
    It is kind of silly when a proprietor of a restaurant has a sign asking customers to refrain from using cell phones yet he himself is fielding all kinds of landline calls (taking orders, reservations, etc.).
    03-07-12 04:47 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD