What is gsm and how does it work?
    06-23-09 09:15 PM
    GSM is the technology that AT&T and T-Mobile (and Rogers in Canada) use for their phones. You have to use a SIM card for the device for it to work.

CDMA is what Verizon and Sprint uses, where the phones do not require a SIM card.

Here
    06-23-09 09:20 PM
    WOW how did you get it to do that?
    06-23-09 09:22 PM
    WOW how did you get it to do that?
    Goto http:// letmegooglethatforyou DOT com and type in what you want it to search, then grab the link and post it.
    06-23-09 09:23 PM
    thats great and all, but I was wondering if somebody could kinda dumb it down for me. In the simplest possible terms. like, what do I need to do to get this phone working through cdma or whatever?
    06-23-09 09:25 PM
    Won't work thru CDMA, period.

and what phone is it?!?!
    06-23-09 09:26 PM
    It's a storm. My curve broke and I never got insurance on it so I was screwed. Now I have no phone at all for the time being. haha. By the way, should I even try getting a storm again? Or is a Curve better?
    06-23-09 09:29 PM
    It's a storm. My curve broke and I never got insurance on it so I was screwed. Now I have no phone at all for the time being. haha. By the way, should I even try getting a storm again? Or is a Curve better?
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What carrier are you using? You began with a very broad question regarding GSM, and now I get the feeling you are looking for some help with your device. Details help us help you.
    06-23-09 09:35 PM
    06-23-09 09:36 PM
    Ah. I see. Not much we can do to help then, I'm sorry.
    06-23-09 09:38 PM
    I currently have verizon. I was scammed and bought a blackberry storm that was stolen. Therefore the esn was not clear and I couldn't activate it. I was told that if I "unlocked" the phone, I could use it through gsm. But I don't know how to unlock it. Nor do I know what unlocking a phone means. haha. & I have no idea what gsm is either. I'm basically looking for some way to save myself and be able to use this storm. haha thanks.
    06-23-09 09:40 PM
    You will not beable to use the storm with Verizon.
    You can unlock it and use it with AT&T or T-Mobile, but you would have to purchase a SIM card from them to get it activated.
    06-23-09 09:46 PM
    A GSM provider like AT&T, as mentioned earlier, would be suitable to run an unlocked Storm. To unlock your device, you would have to purchase an unlock code from a site such as Horizon Wireless, or cellunlock.net. This wouldallow you to activate the device on a GSM network (read use the SIM card, for easiest reference).

There are a couple of tutorials on this site to help get you up and running, should you wish to go that route. However, I'm not sure how far you will get with a blacklisted ESN. Worth a shot, the cost and time are much cheaper than taking a total loss on a device you purchased, and can't resell.

Take a look at the sites I mentioned, as well as the service plans for AT&T or T-Mobile, and decide if you want to take the jump. You will not be able to activate on Verizon I'm afraid. If you do go the unlock route, and run into trouble, feel free to PM me and I'll do the best I can to help you.
    06-23-09 09:47 PM
    If you are a VZW subscriber, you can just call and get a code, right?
    06-23-09 09:50 PM
    If you are a VZW subscriber, you can just call and get a code, right?
    Negative. Kind of a red flag if you are calling in for an unlock code for a device with a blacklisted ESN n'est-ce pas?
    06-23-09 09:51 PM
    Negative. Kind of a red flag if you are calling in for an unlock code for a device with a blacklisted ESN n'est-ce pas?
    No, I have a Storm now through Verizon, so could I get the unlock code from Verizon, then ditch them and activate on AT&T?
    06-23-09 09:57 PM
    No, I have a Storm now through Verizon, so could I get the unlock code from Verizon, then ditch them and activate on AT&T?
    True, for you. However, the OP's issue is that the ESN on the device she purchased has been blacklisted. The OP can't just call VZW and get an unlock code for the device. Hence my comment.
    06-23-09 09:59 PM
    You could be a 20yr subcriber to VZW but they will not give him an unlock code if the phone was originally stolen.

Best bet is to go the website route and then get it unlocked and run it on att or someone like that.

I feel for you. Basically that dude stole twice and should be hung on a tall tree but for now you should just do as recommended. IMO
    06-23-09 09:59 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/esn-...cammed-253729/

Let's keep this conversation in one place.
    06-23-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD