http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/12/28/gsm-encryption-code-cracked-wide-open-leaked-to-the-internet/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28Boy+Genius+Report% 29

I guess BIS/BES is no longer top dog in security. Oh Wellz.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 06:09 PM
    12-28-09 06:10 PM
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/12/28/gsm-encryption-code-cracked-wide-open-leaked-to-the-internet/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28Boy+Genius+Report% 29

I guess BIS/BES is no longer top dog in security. Oh Wellz.

GSM being cracked has nothing to do with BIS/BES security.
    12-28-09 06:12 PM
    GSM being cracked has nothing to do with BIS/BES security.
    Only if they can catch your signal pre or post the Blackberry servers.

Thanks forever, don't know why it didn't Hyper link it.

12-28-09 06:16 PM
    Only if they can catch your signal pre or post the Blackberry servers.

Thanks forever, don't know why it didn't Hyper link it.

"...it is important to point out that the GSM algorithm that was cracked was the older and less secure 64-bit A5/1 algorithm, not the newer 128-bit A5/3 algorithm. ..."
    Did you even bother to read the article?
    12-28-09 06:22 PM
    This is a bunch of FUD about nothing. A bunch of experts got together and cracked the weaker cipher used on GSM networks. Even then you have to download a 2TB hash file to get it to work.

You might be right on BIS depending on the wireless network encryption, but BES is absolutely secure. On top of any network ciphers, it can use triple DES or 256bit AES encryption.
    12-28-09 06:33 PM
    Did you even bother to read the article?
    Yes I did read the article, did you read it??

Unfortunately, GSM carriers have been slow to adopt this new 128-bit encryption standard but Nohl’s disclosure may be the kick in the **** these lazy carriers need to beef up their security

And everything has a starting point, they'll hack it. Just give them time.

12-28-09 06:34 PM
    Right. I fail to see the relation. Would be like me starting a thread slamming AAPL for their text message vulns.
    12-28-09 06:40 PM
    Yes I did read the article, did you read it??

And everything has a starting point, they'll hack it. Just give them time.

Yes, I did - hence pointing out to you it was the weaker/older encryption (that had also previously been hacked) i.e. why try scaring the small paranoid minority here?

My local carrier uses 128bit... Perhaps, they should name and shame the "lazy" carriers.
    12-28-09 06:42 PM
    PDM makes a great point. 10 seconds of GOOG work revealed this: Black Hat Conference: Security Researchers Claim To Hack GSM Calls -- Mobile Security

Please note the date of the article.
    12-28-09 06:47 PM
    PDM makes a great point. 10 seconds of GOOG work revealed this: Black Hat Conference: Security Researchers Claim To Hack GSM Calls -- Mobile Security

Please note the date of the article.
    You don't even have to goto Google, they tell you that in the article. But what makes this one "scary" is it is available for download via Bit Torrent.

12-28-09 07:53 PM
    You don't even have to goto Google, they tell you that in the article. But what makes this one "scary" is it is available for download via Bit Torrent.

I don't see how it is scary at all,

do you do Wireless internet at home? I can crack your standard WEP encryption in less then an hour with a laptop in a van down the street, with just stupid tools off the internet,

Anything that requires security will have added encryption above the stock GSM encryption,

and when you think, Ohhh 128 will be next, if 64 is a 2TB file, 128 will probably be an order of magnitude larger to download, it wont be something to worry about for years to come.
    12-28-09 08:00 PM
    Unless, some genius with a few high speed computers tethered gets to work on it.

From all the TBLers, to our CrackBerrian brethren.
    May God bless you and yours during this holiday season.

12-28-09 08:10 PM
    omgzzzzzzz!
    12-28-09 08:59 PM
    I don't see how it is scary at all,

do you do Wireless internet at home? I can crack your standard WEP encryption in less then an hour with a laptop in a van down the street, with just stupid tools off the internet,

Anything that requires security will have added encryption above the stock GSM encryption,

and when you think, Ohhh 128 will be next, if 64 is a 2TB file, 128 will probably be an order of magnitude larger to download, it wont be something to worry about for years to come.
    True that.. Unfortunately I started teaching my son to hack @ age ten just for shiznitz-n-giggles. Now he"s 16 n I've created a monster~ bn suspended 2wice this school year allready.
    You'll be okay as long as he aint trying to crack your stack~

12-29-09 02:12 AM
    True that.. Unfortunately I started teaching my son to hack @ age ten just for shiznitz-n-giggles. Now he"s 16 n I've created a monster~ bn suspended 2wice this school year allready.
    You'll be okay as long as he aint trying to crack your stack~

he is welcome to break my WPA and get stuck in my honeypot

Schools are notorious for bad security, which is silly since "kids" are notorious for wanting to beat authority.

What your 16 year old should start doing at home is one machine he builds to be "unbreakable" and then proceeds to break it, then fix the hole, and try again, then he gains network security experience as well as breaking experience, if he can explain to a tech his ability to patch security holes in networks out of highschool, he will be marketable to a good co-op in University.
    12-29-09 08:36 AM
    Moving to News & Rumors
    12-31-09 11:07 AM
    I plead the fifth and claim my Miranda rights, please speak with my attorney.
    12-31-09 11:10 AM
    I plead the fifth and claim my Miranda rights, please speak with my attorney.

12-31-09 11:19 AM
    Maybe I should have moved it to Off Topic? ;P
    12-31-09 11:22 AM
    this is not a big deal, at all and believe me if your worried about this, you would really be scared to see how far the russians and chinese are in our gsm and cdma networks spying on us.
    12-31-09 11:26 AM
    Holy cow...I thought I had until 2012 to panic about the end of the world as we know it...

hhhhh.....the end of the world as we know it....gotta find that R.E.M cd to rip....

now, what was I just worried about??!!?
    12-31-09 11:55 AM

Bwhahahaha!
    Maybe I should have moved it to Off Topic? ;P
    Oh weally now!
    12-31-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD