I hate to do this and see this...mainly because it annoys the **** out of me.

Analyst: BlackBerry use at work facing new low | Electronista

Anyways - long story short - ***** says sell rimm - companies not exanding for rimm email anymore.

this article is kind of funny - because its supposed to be negative toned - hence its from elctronista - but it gives no kudos to droid or iphone entering the world of business.
    Last edited by vistate1; 09-07-10 at 11:05 AM.
    09-07-10 11:02 AM
    war of the smart phones.

My personal and humble thoughts on the smartphone wars - Blackberry is in its own little not as secure foot hold as it use to be with the corporate world and will be secure for the time being. curves/pearls ect will sell to entry level smart phone users. bolds will still succeed in the business world along with other major "flag ship" releases.

One of my founding reasons why the blackberry smartphone will survive in the corporate world. Much like a business the blackberry has different levels. Entry level, mid level and flag ship. What phone does your manager have? Mine - has the new curve - why? mid lvl manager. What does his manager have? YOu guessed it - a blackberry bold 9700.

these are the subtle reasons why blackberry appeals to the corporate environment. If you ran ...Goldman sachs or some other corporation and you drove your ferrari to work - you don't want some lowely mid lvl analyst driving a ferrari because then you'd need to go out and get a bently. Crazy idea - but for some reason it plays true in the corporate world.

unless your lucky enough to be in a small company where everyone get 9700's
    09-07-10 11:23 AM
    these are the subtle reasons why blackberry appeals to the corporate environment. If you ran ...Goldman sachs or some other corporation and you drove your ferrari to work - you don't want some lowely mid lvl analyst driving a ferrari because then you'd need to go out and get a bently. Crazy idea - but for some reason it plays true in the corporate world.
    I seriously hope you don't work at RIM.
    09-07-10 11:36 AM
    It's Simona Jankowski. And she has some odd statistics she is comparing. She compares the most recent six month spending survey to the six month spending surveys from 11 and 13 months ago.

Why not compare it to other recent surveys, or at least to the surveys from six months ago? Instead, she matches this survey up against a time period where people believed the US was entering a V-shaped recovery. The DJIA had just climbed from its low in the 6000 range to breaking back through the 10000 mark. That's a much different environment than what we are facing now where uncertainty is ruling the day and the DJIA has been range-bound since August and October of 2009.
    09-07-10 12:33 PM
    Why not? Because she want to make people believe in her article. Manipulating data is an art, you can't just do what is better or right...
    09-07-10 04:34 PM
    I thought it was interesting how she said made it out to be that RIM was crappy and not that maybe some of these businesses are just trying to cut costs like almost every company is trying to do at the moment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 02:32 AM
    I thought it was interesting how she said made it out to be that RIM was crappy and not that maybe some of these businesses are just trying to cut costs like almost every company is trying to do at the moment.

Yeah it's poor article, but business cutting costs plus RIM's requiring a BES plus a license per user for the BES is not a good business model to be in right now when a phone with native exchange syncing and no licenses required are same price for company to buy. BES is not a cheap infrastructure and it overlays over Exchange.
    09-08-10 05:58 AM

And that's the point. Why should businesses pay more for a device that does less out of the box then the next device? With RIM, you need an expensive BES solution to go along with it to truly be able to do a lot of the advanced tasks in a corporate environment such as handset control and most importantly, FULL MAILBOX SYNC with the enterprise email server... which is almost always MS Exchange at the moment. With other smartphones that utilize ActiveSync, there's no additional cost with getting these features. It does it OUT OF THE BOX and it's clean and simple to set up, cutting both IT costs/time and additional costs for software, hardware, and licenses.

RIM is losing out because their advanced services cost too much, the handsets and OS sucks, and everyone is pretty much tired of waiting on them to finally bring something to the table that worth a damn. Don't worry though, there will still be people around buying their devices, much like what happened with Palm.
    09-08-10 11:51 AM
    And that's the point. Why should businesses pay more for a device that does less out of the box then the next device? With RIM, you need an expensive BES solution to go along with it to truly be able to do a lot of the advanced tasks in a corporate environment such as handset control and most importantly, FULL MAILBOX SYNC with the enterprise email server... which is almost always MS Exchange at the moment. With other smartphones that utilize ActiveSync, there's no additional cost with getting these features. It does it OUT OF THE BOX and it's clean and simple to set up, cutting both IT costs/time and additional costs for software, hardware, and licenses.

RIM is losing out because their advanced services cost too much, the handsets and OS sucks, and everyone is pretty much tired of waiting on them to finally bring something to the table that worth a damn. Don't worry though, there will still be people around buying their devices, much like what happened with Palm.
    I'd would really like to know who the "everybodys" are? A number of execs I know are very happy with RIM/BES...companies with a lot of licenses.
    09-08-10 12:19 PM

Wow, huge block of text. Let me summarize for everyone that is tired of reading these epic rants..."blah blah *&%$ blah I wish I had a droid but I'm not to my upgrade date yet" so much simpler. I now officially start the Civic Needs A Droid Fund so that Android Central Forum members will know EVERY single non-important error with their OS and hardware. Did I mention it's Troll Day?
    09-08-10 12:28 PM

Who offers the same granular control and logging over the device as BES does?

And that is why the BB still rules the large Enterprise. There is more to a handset than connecting to Exchange.
    09-08-10 01:00 PM
    We're not talking about super large enterprise markets here people. This is the part that you guys don't understand. The small businesses around the country that were spending money on RIM products are quickly moving to other options that aren't costing them a lot of coin. This is where RIM is losing ground, not the super large Fortune 500 companies out there. Even some banks have been rumored to have moved or are moving slowly away from BB. Fact of the matter is, IT can get away with spending money on stuff "they like" until that money runs out. When money gets tight, IT is one of the first places people look to pinch pennies and when information is available that shows that capability availability of 90% is available on other platforms at no additional cost... well, guess what... the boss tells you to move to something else. They'll take a bit of logging loss or granular control over thousands of dollars of savings any day. Most small businesses don't have to deal with ***** users who play around all the time on their devices. Everyone works together to make that business survive and it's much easier to hold people accountable for stuff then it is in larger environments where there's 15 managers above you.

Oh and for the ***** that's ranting about me going Android... Android doesn't support proper ActiveSync security policies yet. When Google gets off thier asses and implements those changes, give me a call... maybe not even then.
    09-08-10 04:16 PM
    IT doesn't spend money on stuff they like. IT spends money on stuff required to make the company run and meet internal and external requirements. Size does not really matter, if you operate in a regulated industry, you need control and logging.
    09-08-10 04:26 PM
    IT doesn't spend money on stuff they like. IT spends money on stuff required to make the company run and meet internal and external requirements. Size does not really matter, if you operate in a regulated industry, you need control and logging.
    The point was, IT "suggests" what they know best. The people who give them the money trust their judgement on thier calls to implement the best solution, but you'll generally not see technical decision making outside of the IT dept/managers in charge of that. That's what they are there for.

Also, email logging is there under other platforms. Text message logging (if legal issues ever came up) is available from the carriers, etc. While I agree that BES does give quite a bit more detailed control of BBs, despite what you guys think, businesses are looking at other options and are really starting to interested in "the other option", whatever that option may be.

Let me put it in simpler terms (for the gun freaks from this morning's threads out there )... Blackberry has become the Beretta M9 of smartphones. Sure it's used in large scale, but it's not really the best option anymore.
    09-08-10 10:55 PM
    SMS logging will not be as complete from the carriers. IM logging is non-existant. TRestriction to only approved services is non-existant.

Can other platforms compete in the smaller and/or non-regulated industries? of course. But the biggest threat to RIM in the area where BES control is needed is likely to come from MS, unless MS screws it up as they have been known to do.
    09-08-10 11:46 PM
    We're not talking about super large enterprise markets here people. This is the part that you guys don't understand. The small businesses around the country that were spending money on RIM products are quickly moving to other options that aren't costing them a lot of coin. This is where RIM is losing ground, not the super large Fortune 500 companies out there. Even some banks have been rumored to have moved or are moving slowly away from BB. Fact of the matter is, IT can get away with spending money on stuff "they like" until that money runs out. When money gets tight, IT is one of the first places people look to pinch pennies and when information is available that shows that capability availability of 90% is available on other platforms at no additional cost... well, guess what... the boss tells you to move to something else. They'll take a bit of logging loss or granular control over thousands of dollars of savings any day. Most small businesses don't have to deal with ***** users who play around all the time on their devices. Everyone works together to make that business survive and it's much easier to hold people accountable for stuff then it is in larger environments where there's 15 managers above you.

Oh and for the ***** that's ranting about me going Android... Android doesn't support proper ActiveSync security policies yet. When Google gets off thier asses and implements those changes, give me a call... maybe not even then.
    I know small business owners and they are spending money on RIM products and will continue to. They do not feel iphone or droid is worth it in a business environment.

To each their own though. We live in a big country. I'll bet the inventor of chocolate ice cream was pissed at the inventor of vanilla ice cream.
    09-09-10 08:29 AM
    Small businesses are moving to BIS not other platforms. When you become so used to instant messaging, nothing else will do.

09-09-10 10:02 AM
    Small businesses also have the option to go w/ BESX as long as they don't have more than 75 Blackberry users. It gives them most of the same functionality as BES but doesn't require licenses/more expensive data plans (except on Verizon).
    09-09-10 02:38 PM
    Small businesses also have the option to go w/ BESX as long as they don't have more than 75 Blackberry users. It gives them most of the same functionality as BES but doesn't require licenses/more expensive data plans (except on Verizon).
    Close, but not quite. The 75 limit is for BESX installed on the mail server. If installed on a standlaone server, you can have up to 2,000 users per server.
    09-09-10 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD