I think I've been lied to and I'm not happy. I had a brand new Sprint curve that I bought but it had one issue with it. I had the store guy look at it and he said he'd give me a new one. I had only had my phone for 30 days when i called and had them notate this issue. I said I DO NOT want a refurbished one...just out of principle. I paid for a new one, I want a new one. So I was looking at something because I'm getting that trust/accept certificate issue when I browse which I didn't get with the last one.

So on the posts I looked at it says people usually get that with a BES. I have a BIS and mine is soley for personal usage.

I see a bunch of failed certificates in there...things I've never used dating back to 2001. So do you think these are from someone who had my phone previously?????????????? Sprint hasn't even had the curve out that long, maybe 6 months.
    10-20-08 08:00 PM
    Wow...maybe just the certificates date that far back. I don't think your berry is that old.
    10-20-08 08:12 PM
    I got a new Curve (watched her open the box), and had the same issue...I attributed it to something I did since I was a new BlackBerry user. I wiped the phone and all was good...

But, that's just my experience...

-neil
    10-20-08 08:13 PM
    Certificates have nothing to do with new vs refurb or BIS vs BIS. Its a setting YOU set.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 08:14 PM
    My brother got a used Curve last month when he purchased a new one. The case was just a little off and there was some sort of text from ATT from several months ago.

He simply went back and they gave him a new one.
    10-20-08 08:15 PM
    I would not be one to doubt your suspicions. The refurb issue at 30 days or sooner comes up fairly often on this site. I got my first BB "new" at the local VZW store with box and etc. Sure looked new but had no many issues the first day (email not working, 100's of spam test msgs, and etc) that it took VZW phone support a couple of hours and email patches to get me going properly. The gent said that someone had to have used and modify the Curve prior to my getting it.
    10-20-08 08:18 PM
    oh really jenaywins so how do you fix it?

Thanks everyone for your input...
    10-20-08 08:28 PM
    The dates on the certificates have nothing to do with previous use
    of the phone. Every cert has a creation date and an expiration date

I have a bunch of certificates with dates going back as far as
    01 Nov 2001 on both a new and a refurb phone:

I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Refurb Curve:

New Pearl:
    10-20-08 08:38 PM
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks amazinglygraceless...

Now according to what I think I need to do, it's wipe my phone clean after backing up.

My phone did this straight out of the box though. I have no idea what the deal is.
    10-20-08 08:45 PM
    Backing the phone up is a good idea, but I don't think there is any
    reason to wipe it unless you just want peace of mind.
    10-20-08 08:53 PM
    Glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated!....I've had my BB Curve for 2 months...bougth it brand new from the store and loved it...until I couldn't make any outgoing calls or receive any incoming ones today. Took it to Bell Cellular who told me it needed to be repaired. Now this is where i become angry....they told me 3 weeks to receive a new phone, so no phone for three weeks, no loaner phones for BB, and my "new" phone will be a REFURBISHED one??? I paid full price so why am I am getting someone else's BB that's needed to be repaired and then passed on to me? Another lemon perhaps?...and who knows what was wrong with the "refurbished" BB in the first place that I'll now be getting. I agree, I want a NEW BB, out of principle...I paid for a new phone....I don't want someone's else's used refurbished BB!
    Frusurating!
    11-03-08 11:42 PM
    1) Not all refurbs are phones that needed to be repaired. They may
    have just been returned because the buyer didn't want / like it or
    any number of other non-repair type reason.

2) All refurbs go through extensive testing before they go into
    circulation. Additionally the entire housing is replaced with a new
    one regardless of it's condition.

3) As many here can tell you, if you were to put a brand new
    phone next to a refurb, you'd in all likelihood not be able to
    tell the difference. Especially externally.

I have had 2 refurbs (one sold, one currently in use) and they
    operate flawlessly. I understand your frustration but if those
    are your carriers rules (as is the case with a lot of carriers)
    you may just have to live with it.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-04-08 at 12:53 AM.
    11-04-08 12:46 AM
    I can understand your frustration but you do have ins right? So if its a refurb and does not work get a new one. When it all comes down to it as long as it works....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-08 01:04 AM
    I bought a refrebushed pearl off eBay I wanted a blackberry and couldn't upgrade never had any trouble with eBay items before so I got it love it I think they even fixed the freezin issue my friends tell me their pearls will freeze up but mine never has my track ball is smooth and never has fits (as of yet don't wanna ginx myself or nothin) so don't sweat the refrebushed they do good work most of the time
    11-04-08 01:28 AM
    Thanks for explaining and helping me understand "refurbished"....you would think my carrier could have explained this better to me rather than just say it's "BB's policy". Now I'm just frustrated I have to wait so long....I miss my BB!
    Thanks again
    11-04-08 10:47 AM
    Any person who thinks they should not recieve a refurbished phone can bypass the carrier and send their phone directly to the manufacturer for repair. They will repair YOUR phone and send it back. You will be without your phone for quite some time, but it will be YOURS and not a refurbished.

Most carriers operate as a middleman to the manufacturer and help you, the customer, out by allowing you to have a phone sooner without having to wait for the manufacturer to repair your phone.
    11-04-08 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD