I sometimes have to send out a text to a group of over 400 people for work, this takes FOREVER to go out over 3g, EDGE, etc. (over 30 minutes at least...usually around an hour. I was told that if I use my UMA as my preferred setting for when I am going to send out the text that it will go out faster because it can send out more at the same time. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Also, is there a limit to how big I can make these groups? Running OS 5.0.0.442
    tmobile
    02-11-10 02:16 AM
    Also, if this isn't a faster way...what IS the fastest way to do this?
    02-11-10 04:52 AM
    I've found thart texts always go out faster w/ UMA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 06:46 AM
    Bumping this...anyone know if this is true or not? Or what the fastest way would be?
    02-11-10 07:58 PM
    I have never tested SMS speed over UMA. Sorry, though I believe that it should be faster. Significant enough or not to be able tell the different! I'm incline to say that it would be hard to tell the different unless, you can send group SMS over hundred people at a time.

Unfortunately, there is a limit sending group SMS to about 12-15 people at a time. I have never actually counted, but I am quite sure that it is not more than 15 on .442.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 02-11-10 at 10:06 PM.
    02-11-10 09:56 PM
    When did they put this limit in? I have over 400 people per group and haven't had any issues with .330 (issues yes, but limit issues, no). If if limits on .442, I am for sure downgrading my OS.
    02-11-10 10:13 PM
    Actually it is limit to 10! I just tried it. I timed it and with 10 people in group at a time, there is real different between UMA and 3G...

02-11-10 10:26 PM
    We are talking about two different things, I think. I mean a group that you make in your address book and then SMS to the entire group. The limit of 10 is if you just compose an SMS and add members one by one, no?
    02-11-10 10:34 PM
    justinaz you have a group with 400 contacts in it? I didnt know a group could hold that much.
    02-11-10 10:57 PM
    justinaz you have a group with 400 contacts in it? I didnt know a group could hold that much.
    I have 2 groups both of which are around that number. I think one has like 480 and the other 300 something?
    02-12-10 01:06 AM
    UMA is way way faster. UMA is the BOMB!!
    02-12-10 01:08 AM
    UMA is way way faster. UMA is the BOMB!!
    I am sending out a text to 800 people tomorrow, so I will for sure be able to report back which is faster!
    02-12-10 01:58 AM
    Groups can contain as many contacts as you want. The group is simply an aggregation of contacts linked by function from your address book, whether it be E-mail, PIN, SMS, etc. The contact must be in your addy book to be in the group, and the mass-mailing capability is pretty sweet.

02-13-10 10:27 AM
    what sms?
    spam?
    SMS-Short Messaging Service.

02-13-10 10:35 AM
    UMA/WiFi owns 3G!
    02-13-10 10:54 AM
    We are talking about two different things, I think. I mean a group that you make in your address book and then SMS to the entire group. The limit of 10 is if you just compose an SMS and add members one by one, no?
    I see sorry that is my bad

Considering voice quality is improved over UMA, all the data also is faster over UMA, I do not see why SMS sending speed can't take the same advantage from UMA.

I do not have that hundread group of people to try this for you so I am saying this out of a real fact. It does not hurt to do it over UMA that is all I am saying
    02-13-10 11:06 AM
    I believe the OP created a group with that many. It really just sends one message separately to each individual.

What doxa sub750T is talking about is when creating a new SMS, and then adding individuals. In that case, 10 is the max you can add.

The OP is sending it to the contact which is already a group of XXX.
    02-13-10 04:05 PM
    I believe the OP created a group with that many. It really just sends one message separately to each individual.

What doxa sub750T is talking about is when creating a new SMS, and then adding individuals. In that case, 10 is the max you can add.

The OP is sending it to the contact which is already a group of XXX.

Exactly. And to update, over UMA is WAY faster. Then again, the last time I did it, it was on .330, so it might be a combo of the new OS and UMA?
    02-13-10 05:48 PM
    If you can't see a reason for texting 400+ ppl in a work setting you don't understand why BlackBerrys are used in business.

02-13-10 07:53 PM
    If you can't see a reason for texting 400+ ppl in a work setting you don't understand why BlackBerrys are used in business.

I agree. Now hopefully I can find an even faster way!
    02-13-10 07:59 PM
    thanks for this discussion justinaz. been searching for similar and I haven't found many people who group message 100s of contacts. like you i also message large groups, 600-700...

i use bold 9700

do you have the problems that while sending the sms software just slows down horribly and blocks phone functionality due to the fact that it has to process so many?

have you seen any apps that maybe spread sending over a period to avoid this?
    02-12-11 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD