Ah the old greyed out WIFI again.

OK so I am posting on behalf of a friend he has the greyed out WIFI icon issue. OK the story is............

We both have an unlocked curve 8900, both on the same network, both on the same unlimited data tariff, both on the same .199 latest software, both identical handsets in every way.

My WIFI Icon is shiny white and connects to any router fully as soon as the network is set up, my friends is only ever greyed out, he has the white dash instead of the green tick.

As I understand it the handset is connected to the WIFI as the router name is on the blackberry home screen BUT the icon remains grey and does not go white like mine EVER.

We have turned the mobile network off and left it connected to the router, now this is where it gets strange, we went to youtube watched a video soley using wifi no problems , ebay mobile no problems. As soon as we tried any blackberry sites it would not use the WIFI connection and gave us the radio is turned off no signal error message even though we were connected to WIFI and had just been on youtube etc. My WIFI icon which is white allows me to go to any site using WIFI when the mobile signal is off.

We have tried.......

Numerous routers all same problem

Numerous router resets still same problem

Battery pulls

Deleting the WIFI profile and re setting up many times

When the icon is grey I have ping'd the server we have an IP address but the icon is still greyed out...... Grrrrrrr!!

My questions aside from the obvious how does he get this fixed are, what does the grey and white WIFI logo actually mean ?

I have googled this lots and searched all the threads and there does not seen to be a definite solution people who resolved it say it just started working??

Does it take a while for it to "kick in" / establish a firm WIFI signal etc ??

Any help on this would be VERY much appreciated!!
    04-03-09 06:00 AM
    If its greyed out that means that BIS is not using the wifi connection, if it's white like on your device, that means that BIS is connected via the wifi. This can be seen by going to manage connections, and then going to Services Status.
    04-03-09 01:54 PM
    If its greyed out that means that BIS is not using the wifi connection, if it's white like on your device, that means that BIS is connected via the wifi. This can be seen by going to manage connections, and then going to Services Status.
    Thanks for the reply.

My next logical question is how does he get the BIS to "use" the WIFI connection??

Thanks again for the reply
    04-03-09 01:57 PM
    I'm assuming you've tried registering with the Host Routing Table??
    04-03-09 02:02 PM
    Yes, tried registering with the host routing table, also have tried doing the same just highlighting the WIFI 60 row in the host routing table, resent service books and did a router re-set and battery pull and then finally a delete and re-set up of the wifi network. I did all these things and thought this HAS to work but nothing grrrrrrrrrr

Anything else I have missed??
    04-03-09 02:07 PM
    I would try putting your SIM in his 8900 so you can figure out if it's a problem related to that particular device, or if it's a problem with your friend's account. Then go from there.
    04-03-09 02:15 PM
    i have the same problenm with my Bold 9000. its very annoying.

exactly the same things happen to mine! await a solution with anticipation!
    04-03-09 03:36 PM
    I would try putting your SIM in his 8900 so you can figure out if it's a problem related to that particular device, or if it's a problem with your friend's account. Then go from there.
    That looks like one of very few remaining options! thanks for the reply.

i have the same problenm with my Bold 9000. its very annoying.

exactly the same things happen to mine! await a solution with anticipation!
    Can you confirm things you have tried to resolve your problem? Have you tried any other sim??

Thanks all.
    04-03-09 03:40 PM
    OK here it is, I have just come back from my friends house I put my sim in his phone and hey presto full connected bold white WIFI!!!

WTF!! As originally posted we are on same network same tariff same unlimited DATA same unlocked handsets, his sim = grey WIFI mine = white as it should be!!

We rang orange together the other day who as per usual were very little help, infact they told him to try the CB forums, now that we know its not a router or handset issue I have told him to call again, after the first time we are not holding out much hope but its a definite carrier issue.

Any more thought from anybody on this or what the issue is or what we need to ask his carrier to do to get this working??

Thanks all in advance!!
    04-04-09 08:39 AM
    This was very educational reading this even though the storm that im getting doesnt have wi-fi (I think)
    04-04-09 08:50 AM
    well ijust spendt ages on the phone to orange.

useless. endded up with them saying that they donlt support wifi unless its an orange smartphone which a blackbety is not. They said its a blackberry issue and all they can do is give me the blackberry webpage address.

useless. i shall go into the shop and ask but i suspect i 'll get even less help.

very annoying.
    04-05-09 09:25 AM
    well ijust spendt ages on the phone to orange.

useless. endded up with them saying that they donlt support wifi unless its an orange smartphone which a blackbety is not. They said its a blackberry issue and all they can do is give me the blackberry webpage address.

useless. i shall go into the shop and ask but i suspect i 'll get even less help.

very annoying.
    Thanks for the update njarugby. Nice to know Orange are their usual helpful selves. It's the same old story with them, you spend ages on the phone and then they say "actually we have just remembered , we don't support blackberry" LMAO they only support orange smartphones, there is like one orange smartphone in the whole range!!! They are a complete joke.

Thanks again for the update, let us know if you get anywhere.
    04-05-09 01:04 PM
    For me, I get the black icon (and green check in the connections manager) when my phone connects to T-Mobile VoIP through the wifi connection. Without that, the wifi still works fine, I just get a gray wifi indicator and a yellow minus in the connections manager. I figured it wouldn't go black/green on carriers or routers that didn't support this feature, but I really don't know much about it.
    04-05-09 08:07 PM
    UPDATE:

Completely stumped LOL! Well my mate's WIFI still will not show as connected, he has been on the phone to orange who are also at a loss (but that's not hard) , as my sim in his phone strangely worked they are sending him out a new sim, as a few on this thread have pointed out and as orange did also, the sim shouldn't make any difference as you do not need a sim to work the WIFI, BUT why then did my sim in his phone get the WIFI fully connected?? I am baffled.

To sum up and probably let this thread die, we have tried the following:

COUNTLESS ROUTER RESTARTS
    COUNTLESS BATTERY PULLS
    COUNTLESS DELETIONS AND RE SET UP OF HIS WIFI PROFILE
    A TEST ON MY ROUTER AT HOME - NO GOOD
    A WIPE OF THE OUT OF THE BOX OS .101 AND INSTALL OF .199
    HIS SIM CARD REMOVED FOR A WIFI ONLY TEST
    COUNTLESS RESEND SERVICE BOOKS
    COUNTLESS "REGISTER NOW" ON HOST ROUTING TABLE
    MY SIM IN HIS PHONE (AS I SAY GOT A FULL WIFI CONNECTION WITH THIS)
    CALLING ORANGE (LAST RESORT) 3 TIMES
    MAKING HOTSPOT BROWSER DEFAULT
    And probably a few other things listed in the thread I can't recall.
    As I mention in the thread we have same handset network tariff same everything and my WIFI works fine his just will not come off the grey WIFI icon unticked.
    Before this thread dies a slow death if anybody else has any suggestions please let us know, thanks for all your replies, right I am off to play on my WIFI now (Sorry mate)
    04-06-09 12:43 AM
    I had to update my Bold's sw over the weekend to latest .247. I had the grey icon while the Internet over wifi was working only when visiting some sites,not all. No program (for ex Twitterberry) wasn't working. So i sent the service books again because in the status it said "not connected to BIS". So in 5 minutes it was working again. As simple as that...
    04-06-09 07:06 AM
    I had this problem and finally I worked out what it was. It took me ages to find the solution as the setting which needed changing is found under an illogical heading.

1. Select MANAGE CONNECTIONS from the home screen.
    2. Select MOBILE NETWORK OPTIONS.
    3. Ensure that DATA SERVICES is set to ON and CONNECTION PREFERENCE is set to WIFI PREFERED (or WIFI only if you do not have a data plan or wish to pay for internet use).

Good luck
    05-16-09 09:44 AM
    I had this problem and finally I worked out what it was. It took me ages to find the solution as the setting which needed changing is found under an illogical heading.

1. Select MANAGE CONNECTIONS from the home screen.
    2. Select MOBILE NETWORK OPTIONS.
    3. Ensure that DATA SERVICES is set to ON and CONNECTION PREFERENCE is set to WIFI PREFERED (or WIFI only if you do not have a data plan or wish to pay for internet use).

Good luck
    Hi Guy's,

I have similar problem, I am only able to get the greyed out wifi logo what ever settings I try.

I have tried the above settings, however am unable to find any menu or setting that allows me to change the connection preference, I'm running a 8900 curve on Orange Uk..

Any other ideas would be much welcomed...

Cheers
    05-21-09 02:15 AM
    updated to .206 and my wifi no longer works as well.
    i get a successful wifi connection with valid ip but i don't get a green check mark, just the white dash ..
    05-25-09 01:12 AM
    update:

tested with sim card in, and wifi gets the green check mark..

edit: nvm wifi works even though there is no green check mark next to wifi and that the wifi icon is still greyed out..
    tested on operamini and bbbrowser
    Last edited by illicitstylz; 05-27-09 at 12:19 AM.
    05-26-09 11:57 PM
    I don't think this problem is Orange network specific.

I've tried all of the suggestions in previous posts with no luck. Still the grey icon and green dash.

Frustrating.
    06-12-09 10:34 AM
    UPDATE:

Completely stumped LOL! Well my mate's WIFI still will not show as connected, he has been on the phone to orange who are also at a loss (but that's not hard) , as my sim in his phone strangely worked they are sending him out a new sim, as a few on this thread have pointed out and as orange did also, the sim shouldn't make any difference as you do not need a sim to work the WIFI, BUT why then did my sim in his phone get the WIFI fully connected?? I am baffled.

To sum up and probably let this thread die, we have tried the following:

COUNTLESS ROUTER RESTARTS
    COUNTLESS BATTERY PULLS
    COUNTLESS DELETIONS AND RE SET UP OF HIS WIFI PROFILE
    A TEST ON MY ROUTER AT HOME - NO GOOD
    A WIPE OF THE OUT OF THE BOX OS .101 AND INSTALL OF .199
    HIS SIM CARD REMOVED FOR A WIFI ONLY TEST
    COUNTLESS RESEND SERVICE BOOKS
    COUNTLESS "REGISTER NOW" ON HOST ROUTING TABLE
    MY SIM IN HIS PHONE (AS I SAY GOT A FULL WIFI CONNECTION WITH THIS)
    CALLING ORANGE (LAST RESORT) 3 TIMES
    MAKING HOTSPOT BROWSER DEFAULT
    And probably a few other things listed in the thread I can't recall.
    As I mention in the thread we have same handset network tariff same everything and my WIFI works fine his just will not come off the grey WIFI icon unticked.
    Before this thread dies a slow death if anybody else has any suggestions please let us know, thanks for all your replies, right I am off to play on my WIFI now (Sorry mate)
    In my efforts of doing research to resolving the greyed out WiFi issue, I came across this thread that was Orange/Blackberry WiFi specific:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...solved-118462/

Orange WiFi BIS basic question - BlackBerry Bold - BlackBerry 9000 Series Smartphone - - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

WiFi Not Working With Orange UK? - BlackBerry Bold - BlackBerry 9000 Series Smartphone - - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Especially this post? :

CURED!!!

Had my new handset today and guess what ... still the same.

So rang them up and spoke to another guy about it.

It is in fact a PROVISIONING ISSUE. This is something to do with BlackBerry changing some settings on the 'provisioning' on what can/can't use Wi-Fi and also Orange doing this and not cathcing up. Also it depends on what contract version Orange have you under. i.e. what deal etc...

Ring them up and tell them and they'll check it out and it should then work.

I shall report back if it has worked.

Laters...
    07-10-09 05:35 PM
    After you have the connection established ( should show the network name on the home screen) go to manage connections the set up WI-FI Network then goto WI-FI Hotspot Login and click it. The white dash shold turn into a check mark and the you will see the faster speed of the connection.
    07-27-09 04:30 PM
    Hi. I'm new to this forum but I signed up because this topic has been getting on my nerves for some time. Just for the record, I am useless with all the jargon!

I am using the Curve 8900 and I am registered with Orange with all the frills. I have tried the whole HRT stuff, browser/hotspot changing, data connection options etc etc etc, but I am still having the greyed out WiFi issue. It never used to do this. I am using NETGEAR and it's not a problem with that because my iPod is fine with it, my PSP is fine with it and my BB used to be.

Seriously p***ed off now and I have no idea what to do.

Also, I had an email a couple of weeks ago about how I need to 'update my password' so I can continue receiving emails, but I can't log onto the BIS website because I have forgotten my user name. Is there a way of actually getting it back?

Any help would be much appreciated
    08-05-09 09:54 AM
    Is there any way to set a solid WiFi connection to your local router via BB?
    Can some guru answer this question? thx
    01-15-10 05:46 PM
    Ok this is what i did, my phone connected to BIS, but i always got grey icon when tried to connect to my "New" latest Netgear Router.
    while its grey i can't connect to any damn sites... amazed! (off BIS)

then i dig my old stuff and found my good old Linksys WAP45G and tried to connect to it.
    Guess what? it works.. i got solid WHITE icon. and i able to connect via WIFI with so much faster speed, then i tried to switch back to my new router then my old router back and forward just to confirm whether am i right or not...

yep its going grey then white then grey so on... just like Christmas tree.
    both router got WEP 64bit security.
    - Settings connections: Wifi Prefered (when away from my home, its automatically switch to BIS by itself)
    - Device: Curve 8900

now my old AP up and running again.. with Wifi i able to browse with speed while spending my time in the shower or taking a $#it.
    i'm happy now but puzzled at the same time.

So whats going on here?...
    Last edited by sliders7; 03-07-10 at 05:33 AM.
    03-07-10 03:01 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD