So I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix and it really got me thinking about our home in the age of COVID and how I went about things for the vast majority of my life. Then this nice little piece was found and now I am seriously considering pulling the SIM from my newer Galaxy A71 5G and seeing how things go.

https://www.inputmag.com/culture/the...ry-classic/amp

Maybe the new Blackberry to be released in 2021 will in some ways help keep the constant distractions and media noise at bay? (Besides all the things one can do on their own) I have a new HD8+ with GPS for all the "other" stuff. IDK... But if you have not already watched the Social Dilemma with your family, if you have one, I highly recommend you do so. Compelling....
    Yzc_Charles likes this.
    10-01-20 03:44 PM
    So I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix and it really got me thinking about our home in the age of COVID and how I went about things for the vast majority of my life. Then this nice little piece was found and now I am seriously considering pulling the SIM from my newer Galaxy A71 5G and seeing how things go.

Maybe the new Blackberry to be released in 2021 will in some ways help keep the constant distractions and media noise at bay? (Besides all the things one can do on their own) I have a new HD8+ with GPS for all the "other" stuff. IDK... But if you have not already watched the Social Dilemma with your family, if you have one, I highly recommend you do so. Compelling....
    I'll check it out just because it's you. Sidenote, have your AAU clubs started back up yet?
    10-01-20 04:19 PM
    We are just now moving into "phase 2" of the US Soccer guidelines. Woefully behind other states here in California. All but 5 states have returned their youth to play according to Team Snap. WA, OR, NV, CA and NM. All our top flight clubs have been traveling to Utah, AZ and TX for tournaments.

That program/documentary/movie is best watched as a family. Some points really hit home.

Via my Cobalt Classic
    10-01-20 04:55 PM

Thanks for sharing! I just ordered a Classic off eBay a few days ago ... the article just made me even more excited to step away from my iPhone 6 Plus. I’m hoping for a Classic2 in 2021 but deep down I doubt it will happen... Can’t wait to see what’s in store though. Till then, looking forward to enjoying my Classic!
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-01-20 05:29 PM
    To this day still one of my favorite looking mobile phones. (Unboxing this Cobalt beauty was epic) And the one handed trackpad is genius. What ever the new QWERTY BlackBerry looks like I just hope it has a PKB this good. Great read on Blackberry Classic in today's current climate-20201001_152956.jpegGreat read on Blackberry Classic in today's current climate-20201001_152743.jpeg
    10-01-20 05:58 PM

Just out of curiosity, by "GPS", you mean Google Play and all that it needs to run it?

Are you running the BlackBerry Hub+ Suite on the HD8+ too?

Only asking because I have the HD8 8th Gen (2018), and it recently updated to the same Fire OS 7 that the 2020 HD8s have. The Hub+ Inbox ran fine on Fire OS 6, but after the OS update, the BlackBerry Calendar couldn't keep the calendar from my outlook account connected. Emails in the Inbox were fine, and the stock calendar would pick up the outlook account. But the BB Calendar never could. It might show up every once in a while, but never stay put.

It was just weird.

I ended up just removing the BlackBerry Hub+ apps and using the stock email and calendar. Not as good, but it works.
    10-01-20 06:25 PM
    Just out of curiosity, by "GPS", you mean Google Play and all that it needs to run it?

Are you running the BlackBerry Hub+ Suite on the HD8+ too?

Only asking because I have the HD8 8th Gen (2018), and it recently updated to the same Fire OS 7 that the 2020 HD8s have. The Hub+ Inbox ran fine on Fire OS 6, but after the OS update, the BlackBerry Calendar couldn't keep the calendar from my outlook account connected. Emails in the Inbox were fine, and the stock calendar would pick up the outlook account. But the BB Calendar never could. It might show up every once in a while, but never stay put.

It was just weird.

I ended up just removing the BlackBerry Hub+ apps and using the stock email and calendar. Not as good, but it works.
    Yes, GPS refers to the Google Play Store. I only use my gmail or personal email on my tablet set up through the stock email app. It syncs all my contacts and calendar to the respective Amazon apps. I did load Google Calendar as I prefer the at a glance view.

I choose not to load the HUB or Inbox as there are many times when home enjoying personal time I really need to disconnect from our business.

I had a 6th gen Fire HD8 that was still being updated and supported security wise into late August. My issue was the older OS and some app compatibility. I REALLY like the new Ergonomics and wider portrait layout of the Fire HD8+ and the 3GB RAM and new SOC. With Fire OS now based on Pie I can use the T-Mobile DIGITS app to call over WiFi and receive personal texts. This allows me to keep my phone on the counter and separate work\life stuff.
    dangerousfen likes this.
    10-01-20 06:43 PM
    I only had my home email on my HD 8 even though I used the Hub Inbox. I just like the interface better.

The new OS is much better than the Nougat based OS 6 it came with. Even with the earlier SOC and 1.5 Gigs of ram. And battery life jumped greatly. Enough that noticed after the first couple days.

Sorry for drifting off track.
    10-01-20 07:21 PM
    Thanks for sharing, I will give it a good read. I have had a couple of classics in the past and it was a great device with the perfect forum factor.
    10-01-20 07:33 PM
    Saw that article in my feed as well. Definitely a few errors on the writers part though. Classic wasnt released in Feb 2014. It was basically in the public's hands in Jan 2015. And he misrepresents the actual functionality. If you put in some serious effort, there are many useful android apps that still work. He also said WhatsApp isnt functional. Another lie.
    10-01-20 09:50 PM
    Saw that article in my feed as well. Definitely a few errors on the writers part though. Classic wasnt released in Feb 2014. It was basically in the public's hands in Jan 2015. And he misrepresents the actual functionality. If you put in some serious effort, there are many useful android apps that still work. He also said WhatsApp isnt functional. Another lie.
    I wouldn't expect most people to know about sideloading apps on a BB10 phone. It takes some digging online to even find out that it's an option.
    If you just skim through the OS, the only thing you'll find is BBW...which is a very small world
    10-01-20 09:54 PM
    You're right. It's cool that the article was written but it was definitely misleading.
    10-01-20 10:09 PM
    You're right. It's cool that the article was written but it was definitely misleading.
    I enjoy the author self reflecting a bit and realizing how good a Classic still is at the basic things most all of us bought our first smartphone for such as calling, handling email, texting, organizing calendars and browsing. I believe many people, like the author, in general are starting to become more self aware of the distraction smart phones have become. It's nothing any insightful person doesn't already know just seems to be on more peoples radar.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-02-20 01:36 AM
    So I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix

Nice read! Thanks for sharing.
    10-02-20 06:31 AM
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/drgerai.../#2798ab0d460b

another one in Forbes regarding retro phones
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-02-20 04:16 PM
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/drgerai.../#2798ab0d460b

another one in Forbes regarding retro phones
    Thanks for sharing. Found this to be all true: “...now, people are considering if always being connected to everything is all it’s cracked up to be.” And they are resorting to simpler devices. It is perhaps not surprising that ‘phone detox’ is now a commonly used term."

Have you watched The Social Delimma on Netflix? So much of that stuff kicked me square in the teeth.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-02-20 07:53 PM
    The documentary is really good. I watched recently.
    bh7171 and elfabio80 like this.
    10-03-20 11:42 AM
    The documentary is really good. I watched recently.
    Indeed! DEFINITELY has perked my interest and observations raising a 14 yo and 12 yo. And made me think about what I might need to do to modify my behavior including going back to a more straightforward, less intrusive device like my beloved Classic.

I quit posting to all social media back in July but the Facebook web version still worked fine. It was an immediate delete off my home page. I'll admit I was a here and there FB poster of our family stuff for my large extended family and Soccer stuff for my competitive U15 girls Soccer team. I found I can text my family if I feel compelled to do so and handle any soccer related messages to the team via group text or on my desktop or Fire tablet through Team Snap.

A few weeks back l also dialed back on the crap show that is conglomerate news sites such as MSN on my desktop and Google News on my Samsung slab. I found the algorithmic generated stories either in too agreement with my notions or baiting so I just stopped. Its been refreshing and I find myself less brooding and more in tune with my loved ones.

My Classic doesn't have many of the apps and I am a-ok with this as the writer notes. Sure I can bookmark in the still ok functioning browser sites but the less out of sight the less likely I am to just start clicking.

The 4GLTE from T-Mobile here where I reside is full bars on the Classic and without apps running in the background and all but one shared Android grocery app my battery life is a day plus. 😉👍
    10-03-20 01:57 PM
    I'll check it out just because it's you. Sidenote, have your AAU clubs started back up yet?
    Get a chance to watch the Netflix documentary yet? Curious on your take knowing you are raising teens as well. I should have hit reply on my initial response to you. Volleyball back up in FL? I know FL was hosting boys AAU basketball tournaments in July.
    10-03-20 02:00 PM
    Get a chance to watch the Netflix documentary yet? Curious on your take knowing you are raising teens as well. I should have hit reply on my initial response to you. Volleyball back up in FL? I know FL was hosting boys AAU basketball tournaments in July.
    Not yet. Ironically, we’ve only started the streaming revolution and my daughters use Disney+ to disconnect. I only have that, Sling and Prime from Amazon that I pay for.

Between HS and Volleyball right now we’re going pretty hard. My daughters are contemplating giving up Disney for the Netflix but it’s funny since Disney is just happy noise for when their winding down. I was shocked at 14 and 16 and the “regression” part. HS Volleyball ends soon and club will just be starting 11/1 or so.

Club started back up around June 1 and Nationals happened July 15 or so.

Miniclub started 8/15 for middle school girls. My daughters are too old but they volunteer for the younger teams for service and coaching experience. It beats hanging out with the old folk parents
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-03-20 08:25 PM
    Not yet. Ironically, we’ve only started the streaming revolution and my daughters use Disney+ to disconnect. I only have that, Sling and Prime from Amazon that I pay for.

Between HS and Volleyball right now we’re going pretty hard. My daughters are contemplating giving up Disney for the Netflix but it’s funny since Disney is just happy noise for when their winding down. I was shocked at 14 and 16 and the “regression” part. HS Volleyball ends soon and club will just be starting 11/1 or so.

Club started back up around June 1 and Nationals happened July 15 or so.

Miniclub started 8/15 for middle school girls. My daughters are too old but they volunteer for the younger teams for service and coaching experience. It beats hanging out with the old folk parents
    So happy to read and hear your kids were and have been able to return more so to a normal schedule on sports and activities that keep them healthy and happy. All we have been able to do here in CA is have "day camps" through out the summer and now heading to fall. Neither my middle schooler and now freshman have returned to campus or the classroom and it SUCKS. All fall HS sports here in CA were canceled and pushed to an abbreviated spring. All recreational and competitive fall leagues were canceled as well which will now have an impact on comp spring leagues and State Cup play. A giant mess here. Our Governor and his handling has really done a number on businesses, kids and schools. We have a school district but 3 miles in an adjacent county that returned kids to classes 4 weeks ago in a hybrid model. Our district is just now talking about it and what they will possibly do. (Not sure what they have been doing since May) Its insanity that the various school districts here cannot or do not use a common model. Where we reside there are over 2.3 million people in and around the State Capital and @ 200 (all with pre existing conditions) have died from COVID since Jan 27th and the first case in WA here on the West Coast.

The University of Wisconsin just completed a comprehensive study of over 100,000 Soccer players that have returned to play and competition and their already minimal infection rate (and the coaches) was half of non active kids with zero hospitalizations or deaths.

I am telling you here in CA it is like a sports black market. All the top ECNL teams are all traveling out of state to compete.

Going to be interesting this week riding with my Classic. I hope you and anyone reading\following this thread get a chance to check out that documentary on Netflix.
    10-05-20 10:05 AM
    And yet sales of feature phones has started to decline again.....

I think "digital detox" is one of those topics people like to talk about, and agree is a great idea they are going to implement..... on day.
    10-05-20 11:02 AM
    And yet sales of feature phones has started to decline again.....

I think "digital detox" is one of those topics people like to talk about, and agree is a great idea they are going to implement..... on day.
    Maybe a Classic-type phone is a good middle ground compromise for those who want to detox a bit, but not go all out with a T9 phone either.
    10-05-20 11:37 AM
    So happy to read and hear your kids were and have been able to return more so to a normal schedule on sports and activities that keep them healthy and happy. All we have been able to do here in CA is have "day camps" through out the summer and now heading to fall. Neither my middle schooler and now freshman have returned to campus or the classroom and it SUCKS. All fall HS sports here in CA were canceled and pushed to an abbreviated spring. All recreational and competitive fall leagues were canceled as well which will now have an impact on comp spring leagues and State Cup play. A giant mess here. Our Governor and his handling has really done a number on businesses, kids and schools. We have a school district but 3 miles in an adjacent county that returned kids to classes 4 weeks ago in a hybrid model. Our district is just now talking about it and what they will possibly do. (Not sure what they have been doing since May) Its insanity that the various school districts here cannot or do not use a common model. Where we reside there are over 2.3 million people in and around the State Capital and @ 200 (all with pre existing conditions) have died from COVID since Jan 27th and the first case in WA here on the West Coast.

The University of Wisconsin just completed a comprehensive study of over 100,000 Soccer players that have returned to play and competition and their already minimal infection rate (and the coaches) was half of non active kids with zero hospitalizations or deaths.

I am telling you here in CA it is like a sports black market. All the top ECNL teams are all traveling out of state to compete.

Going to be interesting this week riding with my Classic. I hope you and anyone reading\following this thread get a chance to check out that documentary on Netflix.
    I'm sorry to hear. Our digs are no mansion but your family is welcome to slum it out at our place in the 813 if necessary
    10-05-20 11:52 AM
    Another one about BlackBerry

10-25-20 12:48 AM
35 12