I think RIM jumped off the cliff already but it's wearing a QNX parachute

When it safely lands on firm ground (launch BB10) it will scale the mountain again
    This was quite witty.
    Yes, rim's journey has begun
    04-03-12 07:38 AM
    Okay, listen up:
    I was trying to put across the idea that it would be nice to buy music from the Apple "e-store" without being forced to use iTunes...
    Yeah, and it would be nice to buy things from Amazon without using Amazon.com or an Amazon app. I think my wife would like to view all her friends' photos on Facebook without having to visit Facebook, and I would like to use Google's search indexes without giving them details on what I'm searching. I don't think any of these are going to happen though, and I don't bother complaining about these things because it sounds foolish. Oh, wait.

IS THERE A WAY TO PURCHASE AND DOWNLOAD ITUNES CONTENT WITHOUT HAVING ITUNES INSTALLED?
    No, hence the term "iTunes content."

I am not aware of any way to do that! Actually, there is absolutely no way to do an end run around that requirement... a requirement that I find utterly unacceptable.
    You know that when someone uses the word "utterly" they're really serious.
    04-03-12 07:53 AM
    lol @Economist

you do realize that there are other ways to buy music/video. Generally people who hate iTunes are consumers that want to enjoy the content they paid for, without restriction (I'm not talking about broadcasting here). You can buy some music DRM free but video is still a problem...why?

likely two reasons 1) Apple lock down into their ecosystem 2)Content partner requirement

iTunes to me is a system based on restrictions and if one wants to go there because it works for you fine, but not everyone wishes to sacrifice freedom in the name of convenience/ignorance. Ever see a young girls eyes sadden because she just spent ~20% of her money to buy a video but not able to play it when she wants. Yeah learning is tough sometimes but some people are just suckers.
    04-03-12 08:21 AM
    And for the record - itunes is garbage. Enjoy your bloatware.
    So what is the preferred, better alternative?

As someone else has pointed out, iTunes became the most popular media player well before the iPhone, and even before the iPod's popularity shot through the roof.
    04-03-12 08:38 AM
    because you HAD to use it with your iPod. NO other reason...well because you can buy music with it too
    04-03-12 08:46 AM
    because you HAD to use it with your iPod. NO other reason...well because you can buy music with it too
    There were several other mp3 players available to the consumer at the time the iPod released. iTunes is one of the most significant features that made the iPod popular. Without iTunes, the iPod would probably have taken longer to escalate to the levels it did.
    04-03-12 09:03 AM
    So what is the preferred, better alternative?

As someone else has pointed out, iTunes became the most popular media player well before the iPhone, and even before the iPod's popularity shot through the roof.
    An alternative as in a better way to organize your files? Do you have so much music that they cant be organized into folders by Artist? Album? Genre? in windows explorer?

To me its complete redundancy.

And correct me if Im wrong (because I dont mess with my wife's iphone too much) but isnt the only way to get media onto your iphone is through itunes?
    04-03-12 09:20 AM
    There were several other mp3 players available to the consumer at the time the iPod released. iTunes is one of the most significant features that made the iPod popular. Without iTunes, the iPod would probably have taken longer to escalate to the levels it did.
    Its interesting that you say iTunes is a feature...and while I don't care for it, iTunes was first to offer the buy a song for $0.99. and I'd call that a feature for sure, a big one.
    04-03-12 09:36 AM
    I hate iTunes! I despise it! I think it's from the devil.

I hate how you cannot buy music (or even apps) from the store without it. It makes me furious that it's nearly impossible to load music onto any iDevice without being *forced* to use that horrid piece of consistently glitchy bloatware. I won't have it on my PC. Sorry bub. There aren't as many people who like iTunes as you think...

Unbelievable Ignorant, untrue, misleading post. Poor of you to write such garbage ... wow ... Apple has some of you BB's diehards shaking and showing off your inferiority complex.
    04-03-12 10:12 AM
    The inference of the article can be as true for iPhone as for Nokia and BB.

The iPhone too is in its middle age and would be going through its own mid life crisis.

Android is also fast approaching its mid life. The only fresh alternatives out there would be BB10 and Windows 8. So if life is a full circle we would be coming up with the re-emergence of RIM and MS next. Surely Apple would respond but they would need a few years to develop a truly innovative product as the iOS is getting stale.

Android is hugely laggy and not upto part as it is. I'm amazed with its success seeing bow buggy the OS is. Maybe the success of Android is only due to the $50 phones. That might be true since Motorola went belly up trying to sell premium buggy devices.
    Well said.....I agree completely.
    BB10, I believe, will be a "breath of fresh air". My biggest concern would be marketing.
    Fresh, new innovative ways need to be adopted to sell BB10 to the masses.
    I really could care less if 4.5 million units are sold or not, as long as RIM is healthy enough to support my device and offer updates and upgrades.
    From a selfish standpoint though, I'm looking forward to telling my Droid/iBone friends...."I told you so".....and bag on them when they "come to the bright side"!!!
    If BB10 is everything it's being perceived to be, a marketing strategy needs to be developed to reflect that.

Re: iTunes....I am as anti-Apple as they come but iTunes is stupid simple. And with DM, you can switch btwn iTunes & Win Media for music sync. THAT, IMO, is one of the many attributes of BB.
    04-03-12 10:30 AM
    I might seem hard for some to believe, but there are MANY people who both use and LIKE iTunes.

To say that iTunes users are in some way being held hostage is simply not true.
    iTunes users are not trapped and held hostage, but its their purchased songs and/or video that are held hostage via DRM. I have for example a Glee TV episode that is trapped on my Mac desktop unable to play on my PB, how can that be fixed?
    04-03-12 12:37 PM
    The inference of the article can be as true for iPhone as for Nokia and BB.

The iPhone too is in its middle age and would be going through its own mid life crisis.

Android is also fast approaching its mid life. The only fresh alternatives out there would be BB10 and Windows 8. So if life is a full circle we would be coming up with the re-emergence of RIM and MS next. Surely Apple would respond but they would need a few years to develop a truly innovative product as the iOS is getting stale.

Android is hugely laggy and not upto part as it is. I'm amazed with its success seeing bow buggy the OS is. Maybe the success of Android is only due to the $50 phones. That might be true since Motorola went belly up trying to sell premium buggy devices.
    How's it goes living in upside-down world? Because the last time I checked, RIM is only staying afloat because of their cheap devices, while Android leads the high-end smartphone pack. I mostly see high-end Android phones out in public and not these $50 (I'm guessing you're implying low-end) phones. I've yet to hear anyone say they love their BB, but I hear a lot of comments about how much they love their Android phones.

Usually when a sentence starts with "I'm amazed... seeing how"... it implies some level of ignorance.

And it doesn't matter how innovative BB10 is over iOS/Android. The rules of the game say that the winner is the one with the most useful apps for a variety of people (in order that would be iOS, Android, WP7, then BB by default).
    Last edited by alby4ever; 04-03-12 at 01:07 PM.
    04-03-12 01:04 PM
    iTunes users are not trapped and held hostage, but its their purchased songs and/or video that are held hostage via DRM. I have for example a Glee TV episode that is trapped on my Mac desktop unable to play on my PB, how can that be fixed?
    You are misinformed. DRM on iTunes music purchases has been gone for awhile.

2009: Analysis: Apple Finally Kills DRM

..."The "Big Four"—Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, Warner Music Group, and EMI—all agreed that, effective today, they no longer need to encumber their artists' iTunes offerings with DRM. This means that you can give a friend a song you bought on iTunes—and it will actually play on his or her iPod!"

Where can you legally purchase movies online for download to computer that doesn't have DRM?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04-03-12 at 05:39 PM.
    04-03-12 01:28 PM
    iTunes music has been DRM free for a few years now. As well there are tools to convert your videos which many Android tablet owners use frequently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 05:41 PM
    Yeah, and it would be nice to buy things from Amazon without using Amazon.com or an Amazon app. I think my wife would like to view all her friends' photos on Facebook without having to visit Facebook, and I would like to use Google's search indexes without giving them details on what I'm searching. I don't think any of these are going to happen though, and I don't bother complaining about these things because it sounds foolish. Oh, wait.
    That's a really lame example. What's nice about Facebook, Google, et al, is that you can access those kinds of things via any browser running on any OS, desktop or mobile. People who wish to purchase iTunes content are much more limited in their options. They can only use the PROPRIETARY and exclusive iTunes "browser" software that's only available to run on Windows PCs, Apple PCs and iDevices. Users who want to purchase iTunes stuff via devices running Linux, Android, BlackBerry OS, etc, and those who still refuse to install iTunes onto compatible devices are S.O.L. in that department.

No, hence the term "iTunes content."
    There was a day and age when iTunes content would only run exclusively iDevices and nothing else because of DRM. Apple later decided that shackling all the multimedia content they sell with draconian DRM restrictions wasn't such a good idea after all... yet they continue to hold fast onto the exclusivity of iTunes for purchasing the content in the first place. Why can't they just set up a fully web enabled purchasing experience like everyone else instead of shackling people to a bloated software suite? Hmmm? This could be seed of Apple's downfall in the long term, IMHO.

You know that when someone uses the word "utterly" they're really serious.
    It seems that you have a keen grasp of of the obvious.

Your lame rebuttal here doesn't hold to the standard you've set previously. You can do better, I'm sure...
    04-03-12 08:51 PM
    There was a day and age when iTunes content would only run exclusively iDevices and nothing else because of DRM. Apple later decided that shackling all the multimedia content they sell with draconian DRM restrictions wasn't such a good idea after all... yet they continue to hold fast onto the exclusivity of iTunes for purchasing the content in the first place. Why can't they just set up a fully web enabled purchasing experience like everyone else instead of shackling people to a bloated software suite? Hmmm? This could be seed of Apple's downfall in the long term, IMHO.
    That's such a ridiculous revisionist version of history I just have to call you out on it. DRM restrictions on music is something the music industry championed and enforced on pretty much everyone. Apple had to fight to get those DRM restrictions removed.

Heck, read this, written back in 2007 by Steve Jobs: Apple Canada - Thoughts on Music

I'll quote: "Since Apple does not own or control any music itself, it must license the rights to distribute music from others, primarily the �big four� music companies: Universal, Sony BMG, Warner and EMI. These four companies control the distribution of over 70% of the world�s music. When Apple approached these companies to license their music to distribute legally over the Internet, they were extremely cautious and required Apple to protect their music from being illegally copied. The solution was to create a DRM system, which envelopes each song purchased from the iTunes store in special and secret software so that it cannot be played on unauthorized devices."
    04-03-12 09:46 PM
    That's a really lame example. What's nice about Facebook, Google, et al, is that you can access those kinds of things via any browser running on any OS, desktop or mobile.
    Which is why I didn't argue that Google's data was browser specific, but rather "Google-search" specific. I prefer Google's indexes over all others, but I don't care for their data compiling, which applies regardless of the browser used. This would be far simpler if you'd actually rebut my argument, not the one you make up because you've already got a canned response.

People who wish to purchase iTunes content are much more limited in their options. They can only use the PROPRIETARY and exclusive iTunes "browser" software that's only available to run on Windows PCs, Apple PCs and iDevices. Users who want to purchase iTunes stuff via devices running Linux, Android, BlackBerry OS, etc, and those who still refuse to install iTunes onto compatible devices are S.O.L. in that department.
    You misunderstand the iTunes business model, and Apple's model generally. They sell music to sell devices, not just to be selling music, movies, etc. That's why they aren't offering a BB client or Android client. It's not complicated, and it's not at all a mystery.

There was a day and age when iTunes content would only run exclusively iDevices and nothing else because of DRM. Apple later decided that shackling all the multimedia content they sell with draconian DRM restrictions wasn't such a good idea after all... yet they continue to hold fast onto the exclusivity of iTunes for purchasing the content in the first place. Why can't they just set up a fully web enabled purchasing experience like everyone else instead of shackling people to a bloated software suite? Hmmm?
    Again, you misunderstand. DRM wasn't just something Apple slapped on to sell devices; it was a requirement of their music industry clients, and remains a requirement of TV and movie sales. Apple cannot simply decide to remove DRM from anything without the expressed written permission of its content partners.

It's like how Google launched a music service that didn't sell music initially. Why? It was because they didn't have the content agreements in place. This is how the world works, and your failure to grasp this idea is inconsistent with any real appreciation for business and business deals (though unfortunately it is all too consistent with the rest of your, um, "reasoning").

As for the "fully web-enabled purchasing experience you mention," the answer is simple: they're the leader in worldwide digitial music sales. Here's another tip about how the world works: followers try to emulate the leader, not the other way around.

This could be seed of Apple's downfall in the long term, IMHO.
    Great. You just tell me by when this "downfall" will happen, and we'll bet on it. We can each put $1,000.00 in escrow, and whoever is right takes the $2,000.00 when the day arrives. Just give me a date and have your money ready.

Your lame rebuttal here doesn't hold to the standard you've set previously. You can do better, I'm sure...
    That you think my rebuttal was lame is the best thing I've read all day. I'll leave you with a quote that is apt here, and one you should ponder before offering any response:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

-Abraham Lincoln
    04-04-12 01:29 PM
    Cleaned up, keep it all on track and avoid the name calling and hate please. I really dislike banning people but I've been known to do so and not give a flying damn about it since some of you simply cannot follow basic rules and conduct yourselves with a decent amount of sanity. That applies to all, I don't care what device you have, what OS you're on or what you're fan of.. act stupid, be gone.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and prove yourself a troll"

-Bla1ze
    04-06-12 01:09 AM
    I have used iTunes for years. Actually I chose to use iTunes to organize my media library about 2 years before I even owned an Apple product at all. I find iTunes very intuitive, quick, easy and simple to use to organize a rather large library I had before I even bought a single thing from iTunes.

I have used Windows Media library, I have used the Creative Labs organizer for my Zen, I used Winamp, and each one I tried I returned to the tried and true iTunes.

So while I'm not sure what you mean by 'the good people', there are a lot of people who don't merely tolerate it just because you declared it so.
    I challenge you to try a two week trial of the Zune PC software with Zune Pass. If you have an Xbox 360 even better. It is far superior to iTunes. Once I switched I never looked back! Zune pass is amazing! So fun to have all that music at your fingertips without having to buy and store and manage any of it! Zune Pass for music = Netflix for movies except with Zune you have access to new just released music unlike the movies on Netflix.
    04-06-12 01:22 AM
    PEOPLE! Did you happen to see WHO wrote this article? His name is Tomi Ahonen, and he's this joke of a mobile analyst, who used to work for Nokia.

Why is he a joke? Well, amazingly enough, the markets have a way of doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Ahonen says will happen, pretty much EVERY TIME he opens his mouth..l

Just a few examples:

He's been predicting that iPhone adoption has topped every year since the iPhone came out.

He laughed and ridiculed the rumors about Nokia adopting either Android or WP7, and then proceeded to explain how everyone needs to stop worrying, and how Symbian (Nokias old OS) is doing really awesome. He wrote this a few days BEFORE Nokias announcement that they're ditching Symbian and adopting WP7.

Ever since then, hes been on a ridiculous hate campaign against their CEO, posts ridiculous conspiracy theories, and rants and raves hatefully about him every chance he gets.

In many ways he's still a relic from the 90ies, mysteriously believes SMS is the future (I kid you not) and dismisses companies like Motorola because they have chosen to concentrate on high margin smartphones over producing low margin dumb phones in massive numbers.

In other words, if this guy tells you it's going to be a sunny day, look for your umbrella. Read his article with a massive rock of salt handy
    04-07-12 04:58 AM
    There are a number of apps/programs you can use to either strip it off the DRM or encode it in a different format, or both.

However, theyre hardly held hostage. There are plenty of non-Apple media players that can play iTunes purchased music or videos just through copying them over from the computer to whatever device you want it played on.

It is NOT Apples fault, that you bought a tablet that can't decode the video files youve previously purchased.
    04-07-12 05:23 AM
    PEOPLE! Did you happen to see WHO wrote this article? His name is Tomi Ahonen, and he's this joke of a mobile analyst, who used to work for Nokia.
    Yeah, he's about as accurate as Dvorak. Another person who somehow manages to convince people he knows his business, when he really doesn't.
    04-07-12 09:45 AM
    Nice find.
    04-07-12 09:59 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD