first of all, I have used search and could not find anyone with this specific problem.

i have an alltel 8330. the gps did not work at all when i got it, but i read here that installing telenav would unlock it. when i tried installing it, i was excited because my gps started working but now i am afraid that i can't cancel it because i have to run the program after every battery pull to get any other application to acquire a gps lock.

let me put it like this:
    4:00 AM - scheduled phone reset
    9:00 AM - gps will not work
    9:01 AM - open telenav
    9:02 AM - all applications that use gps will work (instamapper, poynt, google maps)
    9:03-3:59 AM - gps continues to work on all apps
    4:00 AM - scheduled phone reset
    9:00 AM - gps will not work

repeat.

any help??
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 06-03-09 at 10:12 AM.
    06-03-09 09:59 AM
    It sounds like you are running OS 4.5.0.127. If so, you can activate the TeleNav and then cancel it. Based on threads I have read in the Alltel carrier section, activating TeleNav for the trial period unlocks the GPS and canceling it does not lock GPS back down. Also, if you are running DM 4.6, you can update your OS to .138 via a prompt from the DM. I did this yesterday and my GPS works and I have never activated TeleNav.
    06-03-09 10:45 AM
    If you cancel telenav, gps is gone. Install .160 or I have heard that alltel now has os .138 that will unlock the gps. I have alltel and am running .160 and my gps works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 11:33 AM
    If you cancel telenav, gps is gone. Install .160 or I have heard that alltel now has os .138 that will unlock the gps. I have alltel and am running .160 and my gps works fine.

Thanks for the correct info about canceling TeleNav. I know you've messed with this a lot. The .138 I loaded through DM 4.6 is working well...so far. I'll still update to .160, maybe this weekend.

06-03-09 11:43 AM
    Either should unblock the GPS. I got sat locks with both .138 and .160. Never did with .127.
    06-03-09 11:44 AM
    i am running .127. i'll try upgrading to .160 and see if that fixes it. thanks for the info, and i'll be back with an update!
    06-03-09 11:47 AM
    upgraded to .160, still no gps on any other apps after a QuickPull without running telenav first.
    06-03-09 02:57 PM
    I dunno, I use bbmaps and google maps and both get gps, both did .131 and now with .160.

On a side note google maps is really slow(and sometimes hit and miss) at getting a sat lock.

Last edited by grandpa dan; 06-03-09 at 03:22 PM.
    06-03-09 03:11 PM
    Did you go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and turn it on. Also, get the BB Maps working and the other apps should work as well.

06-03-09 04:23 PM
    how do you find and delete this vendor xml file or whatever? and what all does that delete. newbe here completely clueless. i just want my gps to work like so many others
    thanks
    06-04-09 07:26 PM
    how do you find and delete this vendor xml file or whatever? and what all does that delete. newbe here completely clueless. i just want my gps to work like so many others
    thanks
    Read the stickys at the top of this section and it will walk you through the os upgrade. Make sure you have an esn not meid bb(alltel should be esn). The vendor.xml file is added the the os by whichever carrier the release is for, deleteing it doesn't affect the operation of the os.

Basically you download the os and install it on your pc, then you open the installed os and find the vendor file...delete it and the procede with the upgrade. Its a relatively simple process taking about an hour total(download, install, modify, and upgrade).

06-04-09 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD