Ok, here's the situation. My wife and I both have 8130 Blackberry Pearl's through Altell. Altell blocks GPS, unless you subscribe to their partner, Telenav's GPS navigator.

So I have been looking for ways around this, so that I could get our GPS up and running without doing that, and I found out about the Device Self Test Application, (Options > Status > type the word TEST).

On my wife's phone, I ran the test of the GPS until it locked on. At that point all GPS functions were up and running fine on BB Maps, and Live Search map. So I turned GPS off under Advanced Options.

However, I think the connection is still running in the background. After doing that, my wife noticed a sharp drop in her battery life. And when we go into Live Search, we don't get the message "GPS could not be initialized" like I do on my phone.

I had read that this connection that would be made in the GPS test, would only last as long as your next reboot. I have rebooted several times, and whenever I turn GPS on in Advanced Options, my wife's phone still connects to BB maps and Live Maps, even though it should NOT.

Now, I realize this doesn't sound like a 'problem' really, but like I was saying before, I think that even with the GPS turned Off, I think some kind of connection is still there, but the only symptoms I have are the shortened battery life, and the fact that Live Search isn't telling me that there's no GPS signal.

Has anyone dealt with any kind of situation like this before? My wife's not thrilled with me for messing with her battery life, and so I'm hoping someone can show me were I may have messed up, and how to fix it.

Thanks!
    08-08-09 10:25 PM
    Well I didn't unlock my GPS like that. I can tell you that using your telenav trial will unlock it then after you cancel you can use it forever.

Good luck with your problem!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD