Sorry if there is a thread about this already. I searched and couldnt find an answer....

I have an 8310. I called and got the ATT Navigator thing. I opened it up and it worked perfectly. I exited, turned the phone off and pulled the SIM card. I put the SIM in my old 8300 to get the numbers. When I put it back in the 8310....the GPS will not connect? I went into options and hit refresh GPS but it did nothing?

What do I do? I have a signal. I can make and receive calls. Send texts...everything. It just wont let me connect to the GPS. Any help would be great. Thanks
    05-29-08 03:08 PM
    Try pulling the battery with the phone on. Leave it out a minute or so, then put it back. See if that solves the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-08 07:46 PM
    Jeffh has been helping me too on other thread.

My 8310 GPS has not been working last few months, worked fine when I first got it last Oct-Nov.

Went to one of the famous ATT Devise Support Center yesterday. They told me GPS won't work unless I sign up for the TeleNAv, that it was only a 30 day free trial when I first got phone. I asked why Google Maps does not work (vs the approximate cell tower readouts) or why Blackberry Maps does not wor. They say I need to pay to use GPS on my 8310 with the internal GPS. Then I asked, why will it at least not get a fix, not using the maps software, when I do the OPtions/Advanced Options/GPS/Refresh GPS thing. They say I need to pay.

I told them this is not what I had heard.

They said I need to sign up and pay fro the TeleNav for GPS to work.

They still could not/would not answer my question as to whether the GPS devise in the phone was working in the first place.

I am not very happy right now, as I thought the the GPS should work, at least the phone menu GPS refresh thing, never mind the maps.

So, is it true: the 8310 on AT&T can only use its GPS if you pay monthly TeleNav subscription?

Thanks
    06-01-08 08:43 AM
    I think so. That's what I was told and mine is working great for 10 a month of course it better.

06-01-08 11:04 AM
    I was hoping some other AT&T users would reply. Verizon locks the GPS in their phones. You have to subscribe to VZNav for $9.95/month to use it, and then you can only use it with VZNav. I was not aware AT&T was also doing that.
    06-01-08 09:44 PM
    Mine Works Fine Without Telanav.
    06-02-08 12:01 PM
    Curve 8310 ATT no telenav my GPS works fine
    06-02-08 12:32 PM
    I also thought Verizon was the only one doing that. Maybe the other carriers are realizing it's a really shady way to make money and are hopping on the bandwagon. What a shame...
    06-02-08 03:50 PM
    I cannot refresh my gps either for a current location through options-advanced options-gps nor can I search for things in my area using gps (live search or google maps) but when I get directions inputing the address myself or even just looking at a map my gps tracks me to within 3 meters most the time. Have never had telenav on my att curve

06-03-08 02:59 AM
    no telenav service nor any other GPS-PAY-FOR-SERVICE... and GPS works just fine on my 8310 Curve.

I've seen posts... in the Curve section... the 3rd party software section... and here about issues with the GPS and it 'not working.

I've found (as is similar to many GPS type units) .... don't expect it to work well INDOORS. It wants the SATs to triangulate and you kinda wanna be OUTDOORS for this to occur. If you have SAT TV ... your SAT-DISH isn't in your living room is it? No it is outside so it can have line-of site to the SATs themselves.

If I tell the GPS to refresh .. it'll sit there forever if I'm indoors. Or if I launch googlemaps ... it'll end up putting my current location within '1800 meters' or so. if I go outside... it can grab the SATs in almost no-time flat and update itself as expected.

I can say the GPS WILL work without having service to TELENAV or any GPS-pay-for-use service that might be on your ATT Blackberry. If AT&T Customer Care told you otherwise... they are lying to you. It isn't locked out like some crummy carrier's do.

Now .. running google-maps ... it doesn't give turn-by turn as you are driving. It will calculate your route for you and give you WHERE to turn etc ... but it isn't like TELENAV which will tell you exactly WHERE to turn and WHEN to turn. things like google-maps just creates routes but doesn't warn you when to turn down a road. The route can be hilighted and you can have the GPS piece update (I think it is pressing "0")

I have loaded YAHOO GO! on my 8310 and it has a nice map feature as well. on that one you press "2" to update your position.
    06-03-08 02:26 PM
    Good info, thanks for the comeback.

I complained to AT&T "Customer Care" and actually got a callback apologizing and telling me to call and get a warranty replacement. Duh! This is where I started, but at least a real person called me and was sorry (LOL). We shall see what happens.

Weird, but I am convinced the GPS unit just crapped out. I tried everything and still no go so I am assuming h/w issue.

Thanks again.
    06-03-08 08:05 PM
    Finally got a great guy from NH AT&T who helped me. Within minutes he sent me an RMA #, and the turd from the Waltham Device Support center called me and I got a new unit today.

And yes, the GPs works fine on this one and yes I have no Telenav subscription.

Take that AT&T useless tech support and thanks to all the posters above for your advice, I appreciate it.

John
    06-06-08 08:15 PM
    So I hear people saying that AT&T Blackberry Curve 8310 owners can use GPS without the AT&T Navigator service? How do I go about doing that? Whenever I try to use the GPS, it prompts me to sign up for a 30-day trial, but I can't find any way of skipping it. All I see is a FAQ, a link to sign up...
    06-14-08 01:03 PM
    The ATT TeleNav/navigator is only a mapping application. Your GPS works w/o this or any other mapping app, but you need a mapping app to convert the GPS data/coordinates into the real world of where you are.

So, for your mapping app, I suggest first downloading Google Maps and see how you like that. There are other mapping apps of course (Blackberry Maps and Nav4All etc), but try Google first. They are all free. Except for the ATT one. But maybe some will like and need the ATT one as it has turn by turn instructions. The Google and other ones I mention only show you maps, no lovely voice that says turn here bs etc.

Good luck, John
    06-14-08 01:15 PM
    I have an 8310 in which the GPS worked fine for many months, in San Francisco, Virginia, and other states. Recently, I think I've messed up the GPS antenna taking it apart, so it doesn't sync up as well as it used to. It seems to always work in the San Francisco area, but sometimes when I go to Virginia, or recently Atlanta, I can't get it to sync to the GPS satellites. I'm going to replace the mid plane (or whatever they call it) along with a new GPS antenna, and hopefully it will work better. I've never had the Telnav service turned on, and mine works with google maps. - Regards.
    02-20-10 01:22 AM
    I'm in Canada with Bell and before I bought my Curve 8330 last summer I asked 4 different reps from Bell if I can use GPS without paying and got 4 different answers, from 'no it won't work in any app unless you pay' to 'yes it will work no problem (in fact it works just fine without paying, but I had to go talk to people in online forums to get straight answers). The moral is, reps for all these companies are useless and usually don't know what they're talking about.

02-23-10 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD