It's selected but still not moving...., I have a pearl 8120 with a bluetooth copilot gps device.
    Make sure Mobile Tracking is ON
    08-15-09 09:56 AM
    Make sure Mobile Tracking is ON
    Mobile tracking is ON, got a 8820 with internal gps, and tried with the internal gps and worked perfectly. Then using same settings but the bluetooth gps device then the map did not move...... so I think is something between mgmaps and my bluetooth device......

thanks
    08-17-09 07:56 AM
    Then using same settings but the bluetooth gps device then the map did not move...... so I think is something between mgmaps and my bluetooth device......
    Hmmm... that's good to know. Did you try posting this bug in the MGMaps forums, maybe they can help you out.
    08-17-09 11:30 AM
    Hmmm... that's good to know. Did you try posting this bug in the MGMaps forums, maybe they can help you out.
    I will try to post it to see if there is a solution....
    thanks!!
    08-18-09 09:43 AM
    Here is my MGMapsCache folder that I made of the entire world using Google Map and a zoom factor of 1-7. Feel free to copy this entire Folder and all it's subfolders to the root directory of your microSD card, and then enable offline maps, and you should see a map of the entire world.

PS... Don't forget to decompress the archive before copying to your microSD card.

PSS ... Make sure you do this operation in explorer, not using Roxio Media Manager, which only copies 'media' files.
    Hey there! I was wondering Sonni, when i copy your MGMapsCache Folder to my existing one, do i replace the cache.conf as well or do i keep my existing one? Thanks
    08-21-09 12:07 AM
    If you've been using GMapMaker to create your maps and haven't switched around the settings, then it should make no difference.
    But, just to be safe, make a backup of the original and save it soimewhere else.
    Let us know how it goes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 08:35 AM
    Hi sonni,

I have installed MGMAps application in blackberry8900 following your instruction, why I can't see the shortcut for the application, and how to launch the application???
    Last edited by BerryGeekWoman; 08-22-09 at 09:41 AM.
    08-22-09 09:37 AM
    Hi, the link will be in your downloads folder.
    08-22-09 05:46 PM
    I have a question Kibba. When it zooms from 1 to 14, does google maps also store points of interest ie restaraunts, malls, mosques or is it just really awesome maps? Because I am actually thinking of taking the process you just told me and replacing/updating my car GPS' maps!
    08-23-09 04:19 AM
    I have a question Kibba. When it zooms from 1 to 14, does google maps also store points of interest ie restaraunts, malls, mosques or is it just really awesome maps? Because I am actually thinking of taking the process you just told me and replacing/updating my car GPS' maps!
    The way MGMAPS works is that it overlays your GPS position in terms of latitude and longitude on a downloaded picture. The complexity, level of detail, of the picture depends on the map set that you tell it to use. Personally, I've found that the Microsoft Live maps offer the most points of interest.
    08-23-09 11:08 PM
    I appreciate the help sonni, but i have another question,
    When i format my micro sd in windows, I choose FAT32 right? It also gives me a drop down of allocation size. What should i set the allocation size to?

I went to properties and saw that the card was already formatted to FAT32 so should i just rename and make the root and sub folders?
    Last edited by mastasippa; 08-24-09 at 12:12 PM.
    08-24-09 11:39 AM
    When i format my micro sd in windows, I choose FAT32 right? It also gives me a drop down of allocation size. What should i set the allocation size to?

I went to properties and saw that the card was already formatted to FAT32 so should i just rename and make the root and sub folders?
    In that case, you're good to go, just copy over the MGMapsCache folder.
    08-24-09 01:00 PM

I have formatted my SD card to FAT32 with allocation size 8192 bytes. The default allocation size on most of sd card is 32kb which wastes lot of storage in case of file structure like MGMaps files (too many directories and files). I have seen cache directory of size 220 MB taking some 2 GB space! I know this is ridiculous. With large allocation unit size memory waste is an issue. On the flip side if you chose a small allocation, memory usage will get better but your device’s disk access will become very slow. So slow that you won’t be able to take picture or record videos on your SD card.

I have figured out that allocation size of 8192 bytes is a happy medium. My 8900 still works with normal speed. Disk access is not an issue. And my MGMaps cache directory of size 220 MB takes some 500 MB disk space. Not a big loss. I keep most of my cache directories around 100 MB or less. No need for huge maps covering large areas with level 19 zoom. But then that’s how I use MGMaps.
    08-24-09 07:05 PM
    Hi sonni,

thanks for your reply, I could see the map now. But my GPS seems not work. Because I check it from setting -advanced - gps, it always show latitude and longitude 0. Did i miss anything?
    08-25-09 09:25 AM
    Hello,
    I must be doing something wrong. I have followed the instructions to a T and the map files that I am creating are too large for my 8 gig card.
    I selected an area about 100 miles around Dallas / Fort Worth in all directions (hope that makes since)
    With a zoom 0-16 on highest Level of detail. I know I can adjust the zoom and Level of detail to make it smaller. My question is ballpark what file should that make?
    Am I selecting too large of an area, too high Level of detail and zoom setting or is there something else I’m doing wrong?
    Last edited by kennesm; 08-27-09 at 08:11 AM.
    08-26-09 12:51 PM
    I have followed the instructions to a T and the map files that I am creating are too large for my 8 gig card.
    Can you clarify what you mean by this? Are the resulting files larger than 8GB on your SD card, or on your computer?

Some micro SD cards are formatted FAT-16, which results in decreased capacity to store a large number of files.

Secondly, you will save a lot of space by downloading every other zoom level, i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8 ... so forth. Within MGMaps you can specify later that it will automatically skip the 'odd' numbered zoom levels.

Hope this helps,
    SK
    08-27-09 11:06 AM
    Thanks Sonni,
    I formatted fat 32 and it worked. Before when I was trying t transfer the files I would get a message saying I was short on space by 6.1 gigs.
    08-28-09 10:13 AM
    I formatted fat 32 and it worked.
    Great to hear, enjoy
    SK
    08-29-09 10:40 AM
    Sonni:

I used your mgmapscache you posted on another thread and everything works fine using the wifi and I can view the world map.

But in offline mode I can't use any of the search functions or get directions from just the stored maps in offline mode. Is this normal????

What are alternatives? I want to be able to view maps and get directions without the data plan or any internet connections if possible?

Thanks for any help.
    08-30-09 05:04 PM
    But in offline mode I can't use any of the search functions or get directions from just the stored maps in offline mode. Is this normal????
    Yes, this is normal. The way the stored maps function is by taking your lat/long position and overlaying it on a static image that corresponds to a map. Directions from point A to point B requires information about the layout of the roads between A and B. MGMaps cannot help you with that.

What are alternatives?
    If you are looking to search for street names, then there is a development tool that will allow you to store street names and location for your city.

OfflineBot for MGMaps

I haven't used it myself, but it should help you at least find the street that you are looking for, and you'll have to figure out how to get there.

I want to be able to view maps and get directions without the data plan or any internet connections if possible?
    The other options is to get the directions while you are at home, and save the route, and import it later into MGMaps. You can follow the development of MGMaps at Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!.
    08-30-09 10:53 PM
    I don't have a BlackBerry, but I have been considering one because I would like a device that is compatible with the Slacker Radio service. I would also like the same device to use the internal GPS without a data plan. I gather from reading the posts here that it is possible, but I would have to load the maps. I have Garmin Mobile XT now on a different phone. Do I understand correctly that there is no simple solution to load maps onto a Blackberry so that the internal GPS can be used for navigating without a data plan?
    09-13-09 03:25 PM
    Sonni:

First off, thanks for all your help with this thread. I have got the maps to work, it's just that they are taking up much more space than it's supposed to.

I have the microsd card formatted to Fat32, yet it takes up 0.99gb on my harddrive but 4.66gb on my microsd.
    I dont know what the deal is with this?

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    10-02-09 04:23 PM
    I would suggest formatting within the Windows environment, with the blackberry serving as a USB mass storage device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 10:14 PM
    I am trying to copy your MGMapsCache folder in to my memory card. Files copying taking place for more than 3 hours now. Also I observed that its copying only GoogleMap_7, GoogleMap_8 and GoogleMap_9 folders out of 14 folders in last 3 hrs.

The total contents size of your folder is ~ 283 MB so it shouldn't be taking more than 2 hours.

I just wanted to know how long does it going to take as i need to plan my work accordingly.
    Last edited by myfirstberry8100; 10-15-09 at 04:19 AM.
    10-15-09 02:04 AM
    Uhhh.... File copying is still in progress..its even not showing percentange. I don't want to cancel since i am fearing to loose all my sincere efforts from the past 6+ hrs. .. I am totally frustrated.. I know it should not take much longer.. is there a way I can copy the file contents faster way????
    10-15-09 07:03 AM
284 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD