For those of you wanting to use MGMaps and have OS 4.6 or above (where there's no Module Management to disable), it appears that MGMaps has put out a version which fixes this - they've renamed it MMMaps so Google doesn't interfere. You can find it at www.MGMaps.com > Forums > Usage Questions and Problems > [Fixed] Latest Google Maps on Blackberry Uninstalls MG Maps (sticky) - then scroll down to the zip file and install.

Working for me so far (crossing fingers).
    06-22-09 05:59 PM
    For those of you wanting to use MGMaps and have OS 4.6 or above (where there's no Module Management to disable), it appears that MGMaps has put out a version which fixes this - they've renamed it MMMaps so Google doesn't interfere.
    Nice, my wishful thinking has become a reality. Thank you burbunny for posting this link. I should update my signature to reflect this new file location.
    06-22-09 06:46 PM
    Hi Sonni,

Thanks for the tutorial. Works great on the 8900.

Just have a question about updating your maps on your sd card. Will you have to recopy the entire MGMApsCache folder to your sd card every time you download new maps? This will take forever! I was hoping to be able to only copy the new maps to my sd card instead of everything all over again

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!
    06-23-09 04:03 PM
    argh...thanks........
    Last edited by dave_sz; 06-23-09 at 04:43 PM.
    06-23-09 04:37 PM
    No matter what I can't get it to work. At first the maps wouldn't load but got that fixed. Sonni, in the map pack you provided a link to, there are 2 mgmapscache folders. One is inside the main one. I had to copy the inner one with the contents for the maps to finally load.
    Now the problem is my GPS isn't working inside the app. I am indoors but I went into my BB advanced options and refreshed GPS and got satellites with no problem. When I go into mgmaps the GPS does not work.
    All the directions you give don't have the same menu structure as the version of the app I'm using, 1.39.20, seems they compressed the menus down a bit.
    So I'll try it outside tomorrow but I don't understand why my phone could find the satellites yet the app can't.
    Also, is there a way to speed up he cursor? It is painfully slow...
    06-24-09 12:10 AM
    Also, is there a way to speed up he cursor? It is painfully slow...
    Can't help you with the GPS, but on the cursor, this version you need to go into Menu>Settings>Map Browsing then uncheck Enhanced Panning - that takes care of the panning issue.

On GPS, try Menu>Settings>GPS and see if the setup options there help - just a shot in the dark.
    06-24-09 12:15 AM
    Just have a question about updating your maps on your sd card. Will you have to recopy the entire MGMApsCache folder to your sd card every time you download new maps? This will take forever! I was hoping to be able to only copy the new maps to my sd card instead of everything all over again
    if you are a window's user than you can use xcopy application to update your cache folder from your local drive to SD card. Consider the location of cache folder on your computer is "c:\Program Files\gMapMaker\MGMapsCache" and your SD card is detected as "f:" drive than you can use following command:

xcopy "c:\Program Files\gMapMaker\MGMapsCache" "f:\MGMapsCache" /D /E /C /I /F /R /Y

This will update the newly downloaded cache file into your SD card
    06-24-09 02:28 AM
    Ok, thanks for the panning suggestion. GPS mysteriously works today. I just noticed that the maps sonni uploaded are only zoomed til 30km, way too far. This is going to take days, days which I don't have...
    06-24-09 08:41 AM
    yeah, US map at zoom level 14 will take at least a day to download and then another day to transfer to SD card. All these small files limit the transfer to only 40kb a second through usb2...

Does anyone else have already downloaded maps or know of a place where to get them?

ok, this is just stupid. When there is no programfiles/gmaps/gmapscache folder where are the maps downloaded to? I have that folder set as the download location in gmapmaker but the folder isn't there yet the maps keep downloading...

Ok, found it. I suggest everyone uses a card reader or something to do this. It's about 3x faster than going straight through the blackberry. 12hrs to transfer 1.25gb from pc to berry, 4hrs to transfer from pc to card reader...
    Last edited by dave_sz; 06-24-09 at 12:35 PM.
    06-24-09 09:00 AM
    Or better yet, transfer the files using the command prompt using the xcopy command. In windows operating systems, when you use the copy and paste mouse command , it takes MUCH longer, particularly with Vista.
    06-25-09 02:10 PM
    Here's another way to get free GPS without a data plan.

It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions for MGMAps. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your MicroSD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to Map Creation Tool for MGMaps and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.
    4) Next click the link to download and install GMAP Maker
    5) After installation, open GMapmaker, and press GO -> it will ask you for that mymap.map file you saved in Step 3
    6) Wait for the download to finish (this will take a long time)
    7) When everything is said and done, copy the MGMapsCache folder (located probably at C:/ProgramFiles/GMapMaker/) to your SD card
    8) Install the signed version of MGMaps using Windows Desktop Manager

Back on the BOLD

- Open up MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Stored Maps - and select Offline Mode and Stored Maps

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends
    Hi when I try to open up the stored map that I have downloaded into my phone (bb 8820) i get this error msg - "The application mgmaps_bb has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy." Help needed!
    06-27-09 07:00 AM
    Hi when I try to open up the stored map that I have downloaded into my phone (bb 8820) i get this error msg - "The application mgmaps_bb has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy." Help needed!
    You are getting this message, because the MGMaps vesion that you download was not signed for BlackBerry. Where did you download your MGMaps from ???
    06-28-09 08:45 AM
    You are getting this message, because the MGMaps vesion that you download was not signed for BlackBerry. Where did you download your MGMaps from ???
    I used the link that you proveded in step 8.
    06-28-09 10:52 PM
    06-29-09 08:35 AM
    Will this work on the 8310?
    07-14-09 09:53 PM
    Will this work on the 8310
    Apparently yes ...

Mobile GMaps :: View topic - [Fixed] Solution for Blackberry Users with stored maps!

Look at the second post from the bottom, a user is running the software without any problems on an AT&T 8310.
    07-15-09 10:56 AM
    Wow SK! You've helped a lot of folks! I am on gprs at the month since I am in a remote jungle in India but will follow your invaluable posts to get free gps! You rock man! Thanks a lot!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 12:33 AM
    Wow SK! You've helped a lot of folks! I am on gprs at the month since I am in a remote jungle in India but will follow your invaluable posts to get free gps! You rock man! Thanks a lot!
    Hope it works well for you, watch out for those snakes
    07-17-09 06:30 AM
    2 questions:
    1. my navigon gps device is acting fishy and freezing sometimes and it too uses the .map extension can i copy and use the same map set onto my blackberry device?
    2. when you say gps, you just mean it tells you your position on a map correct? does mgmaps give voice directions and all? I assume not since I have been playing with it in my room

3rd somewhat newbie question since I am new to my bb. Is this for some apps or did I mess up a setting, usually I can navigate through apps using only the trackerball, but for some reason I have to pop up a menu navigate throughout, pop up another menu to shut that menu or go back. Did I mess up some kind of default setting on my bb?

thanks
    07-18-09 08:44 PM
    2 questions:

2. when you say gps, you just mean it tells you your position on a map correct? does mgmaps give voice directions and all? I assume not since I have been playing with it in my room
    Correct. No turn-by-turn voice navigation on MGMaps.
    07-19-09 01:47 AM
    Hi there

I installed the app. and is working fine, tracing is working but when the gps pointer for my location goes out of the screen the map does not move so i have to press 9 to center my gps location.... I have move map option enable... any advice?

P.S. If you have Rogers unlimited email in your device but no internet navigation you could go to settings > misc. > advanced and select other and add:
    ;WapGatewayAPN=media.com;WapGatewayIP=172.025.000. 107;WapGatewayPort=9201
    you will be able to use routing, online maps works with yahoo and live maps, google did not work for me, but very slow, so I have google offline maps on and can do routing from the online menu....

cheers

Hgarca089
    08-12-09 10:25 AM
    Go to mobile options and select box move map.

08-12-09 10:52 AM
    Go to mobile options and select box move map.

It's selected but still not moving...., I have a pearl 8120 with a bluetooth copilot gps device.
    08-12-09 02:27 PM
    when i press "0" it switches between google maps, yahoo maps, where would the stored maps most probably be? i have loaded the file correctly and done all the steps.
    08-13-09 08:54 AM
    the error i get when i choose the offline option is not data available... use offlinebot.... ???
    08-14-09 02:28 AM
284 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD