Hi, if anyone wants to suggest an upload site, I can upload my own MGMaps folder, for others to try.
    Here is my MGMapsCache folder that I made of the entire world using Google Map and a zoom factor of 1-7. Feel free to copy this entire Folder and all it's subfolders to the root directory of your microSD card, and then enable offline maps, and you should see a map of the entire world.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

PS... Don't forget to decompress the archive before copying to your microSD card.

PSS ... Make sure you do this operation in explorer, not using Roxio Media Manager, which only copies 'media' files.
    03-12-09 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the upload sonni_kuba.
    Gonna load this onto my microSD card now.

Update: Selected Google Maps, now I can see the map, but I cannot zoom into the Toronto area. I can see everything at 30kms, but when I zoom into 20kms, 10kms, 5kms, etc, it shows nothing.
    Last edited by centerline; 03-13-09 at 10:08 AM.
    03-12-09 10:38 PM
    Its possible to have GPS without data however the routing will be impossible as a data network is needed.
    03-12-09 10:54 PM
    Downloading now - will check in the morning.

Thanks
    03-13-09 12:18 AM
    Okay, took an hour to copy the files to my sd card.

Does mobilegmaps include a base map or am I getting DATA mapping? As soon as it opened, I had a map.

I will check that OFFLINE is set and get back with what's happening or not
    03-13-09 06:27 PM
    F2: does it say google or yahoo on the bottom right hand corner?
    The maps from sonni_kuba's are google, so hit 0 until you see google.

sonni_kuba: I figured it out. I also made new maps with different zoom settings. Thanks for your guide.
    03-13-09 07:12 PM
    I figured it out. I also made new maps with different zoom settings. Thanks for your guide.
    Great to hear, enjoy free GPS on your blackberry!
    03-13-09 08:34 PM
    Here's another way to get free GPS without a data plan.

It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions for MGMAps. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your Micro SD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to mapcacher Map Creation Tool for MGMaps [/url] and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.

etc .....

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends

I passed the first part on my bold and stopped on point #2 on My PC when i tried to click on Generate bottom to trigger the file and save it like you said above. i'm using FireFox and tried IE as well but nothing triggered when i click on GENERATE bottom. could you please help as i'm in bad need of GPS without data Plan. Thank you
    03-14-09 05:00 PM
    I think I now remember some of my earlier problems with mGmaps. It suddenly disappears from my "desktop" on the BB. I just tried running it and it was gone. I did not uninstall it since installing it this morning. I opened Advanced/Apps and it was NOT there.

I ran DM and loaded it again. I attempted to initialize it to the cache folder and OFFLINE. It suggested exiting when doing that. Did so, and it said "saving settings" Next time there was a "ghost" icon which only gave me an OK! mark when selected.

I rebooted and it was totally gone - no module evident.

Seems to have trouble holding my bluetooth gps and when I attempt to restore it that's when the trouble begins or ends....

Loading it again now....

I will admit my 8830 is chock full of apps and maybe it needs more room/memory.

Edited to add:

Ah, I've now visited the mgmap forum and noticed others have experienced the DISAPPEARING application - they seem to blame google. I did not run google maps while trying it out. I did attempt to grab and keep the bluetooth gps engaged by using one at a time and separately, gpglogger and Blackstar which find the BT gps without any fuss. That did not work. I think my games with this app will await some new version. I may join the forum over there to ask some questions.... Alas, I would have liked to have a program/mapping withOUT data if I go over to Italy/Austria for some hiking/climbing this June.
    Last edited by F2; 03-14-09 at 09:38 PM.
    03-14-09 07:19 PM
    Installing Google maps also deleted my MGMapS app.
    I've sinced then erased google maps, and MGMaps hasn't deleted itself.........yet.
    03-15-09 01:57 PM
    Yeah, there was a thread, or discussion somewhere, on this topic. The problem is that when you install Google Maps, as part of its dependency check process, it will delete any files with the suffix gmaps.

I've had the uninstall happen before too
    03-15-09 11:10 PM
    Here is my MGMapsCache folder that I made of the entire world using Google Map and a zoom factor of 1-7. Feel free to copy this entire Folder and all it's subfolders to the root directory of your microSD card, and then enable offline maps, and you should see a map of the entire world.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

PS... Don't forget to decompress the archive before copying to your microSD card.

PSS ... Make sure you do this operation in explorer, not using Roxio Media Manager, which only copies 'media' files.
    Okay so I installed MGMaps on my blackberry and downloaded your map pack (thanks a lot BTW), now what do I do? I tried dropping the unpacked map folder onto my microSD card and then plugged that into my phone. Where am I suppose to drop it in my microSD card, what folder?

And do I have to change the directory in the map settings of MGMaps
    Last edited by demo1; 03-17-09 at 01:55 AM.
    03-17-09 01:49 AM
    Place the decompressed folder and all it's subfolders onto the root directory of the microSD card, NOT, in the blackberry folder. So, in the end, you will have two folders on your MediaCard, the MGMapsCache folder and the BlackBerry folder.

Then, open up MGMaps on your blackberry, Menu - 7. Settings - 2. Map - 2. Stored Maps - (make sure both button boxes are checkded) - Menu, Save

Then, Menu - 0. Exit - Confirm you want to exit - (you see a screen saying your preferences are being saved)

Then, unplug your phone from the computers, so MGMaps can access your stored maps, and you are ready to go!

Enjoy free GPS on your BlackBerry
    SK
    03-17-09 07:50 AM
    Do you know if they are addressing the Google-erasure issue? Question: Is is not erasing the maps but just the application? Or is is going after maps or map folders, too? I guess mgmaps can change its name or file name??? Mine did disappear again. At least, now I know why.
    03-17-09 08:58 AM
    I am loving this program. I'm a corporate pilot so I travel a lot and drive in unfamiliar cities so it's great having this. Now I just need to buy a bigger sd card because the 2 gb isn't going to cut it anymore.
    03-17-09 11:34 AM
    Do you know if they are addressing the Google-erasure issue?
    I don't know, it means that they would have to rename all their files, and code, that call upon gmaps prefix.

Is is not erasing the maps but just the application? Or is is going after maps or map folders, too?
    Sorry, no, it is only replacing the application, as long as you've got the actual map folder on your microSD card, then it shouldn't be touched.
    03-17-09 09:51 PM
    Hmm. If it is only glitching the cod file, then there should not be that many changes to fix it. I can see where if the map files were affected, there are a few different programs/programmers involved.

Oh, well, I will have to chose what I want on my BB.

Clearly, google should not be messing with other apps but they are the BIG GORILLA and can do what they want!!!!

Edited to add:

From the gmap forum: In order to get Google to leave gmaps alone you need:

"To stop google maps from nuking MGMaps I went into the permissions for google maps and set "Module Management" to "Deny""

I did have a real issue getting my BT recognized, trying over and over. It probably is my BT gps unit. Finally, got it going and it found my location on "sonni's" maps.

Sonni: I gather I would now take your mapcache folder, or at least, a copy, and start gathering and adding more maps to it.
    Last edited by F2; 03-18-09 at 01:52 PM.
    03-18-09 09:36 AM
    "To stop google maps from nuking MGMaps I went into the permissions for google maps and set "Module Management" to "Deny""
    That's actually a pretty elegant solution to maintain both programs.

I gather I would now take your mapcache folder, or at least, a copy, and start gathering and adding more maps to it.
    Absolutely, that's why I uploaded my own folder, for users to troubleshoot, and as a template for more advanced maps. I think the whole world at zoom level 7 should be enough for most, although, if your microSD card is big enough, you can get even more fancy. Personally, I have a tapered approach, with all of N. America at a zoom level of 10, NE America at 12, and the greater toronto are at 15.
    03-18-09 08:36 PM
    To save even more space, you can just download every other zoom level, then, there is a corresponding feature in MGMaps, which will allow you to skip one zoom level, while zooming in. Haven't tried it myself, but seems like a great idea.
    03-18-09 08:37 PM
    I don't know if I tried for too much or....

I had over 80megs of files when I tried grabbing stuff around Northern Italy and Southern Austria and then the Paris area. That's also when I moved it to my SD card, that all access to my mp3 files disappeared. They were on the card but the Media Player showed NO MUSIC under any category (title, album, or all). I don't know if the 8830 was too busy trying to sort/index/whatever all of those gmap files or it was just overwhelmed.

Actually, it also overwhelmed by Vista 32, Quad CPU 2.40 (times 2), with 4gb ram. As I wrote, it took hours to finally DELETE all of the files and folders.

I just noticed your on Rogers so are you limited with data? In the US, I've got unlimited data. It is when I head to Europe or Vancouver/Banff, Canada that on-board (data-free) mapping would be nice.
    03-18-09 10:20 PM
    Actually, it also overwhelmed by Vista 32, Quad CPU 2.40 (times 2), with 4gb ram. As I wrote, it took hours to finally DELETE all of the files and folders.
    Yeah, I know Vista can get a little antsy when having to deal with so many little files. That's one of the many reasons I switched to linux

But, I don't know why your access to MP3s went missing. Someone, on the MGMaps forums, suggested actually marking the MGMapsCache folder as hidden, that way, the media center doesn't get confused, you may want to try it out. Yet, another way is to format it with FAT32 vs. FAT16 to get more usable storage.

I just noticed your on Rogers so are you limited with data?
    Yes, limited, in the sense that I have no data plan . But, I wanted to show others, who may choose not to go ahead with a data plan, how to make most of their phone.
    03-18-09 10:46 PM
    So will all of this work with the Storm, since the Bold and Storm have the same OS? Here is my problem. The Garmin on my Storm will not work while I am out of the Verizon network. I am needing it to do this. However, I really don't understand this since Garmin uses the BB Maps on the phone. So then, why does the Garmin have to stay connected to the Verizon network with a data package if it's using BB maps? These maps are already on the Storm, right? Me is cun-fuz'd here? Any solutions for me?
    Last edited by JaysonStorm; 03-23-09 at 08:27 PM.
    03-23-09 08:14 PM
    Jayson:

BBmaps downloads the maps as necessary using DATA. So you have to be in data range for it and, therefore, if what you say about Garmin is correct, then for Garmin to work, too.

That is the limitation of many of the mapping solutions for the BB. Garmin had an earlier product that had its own SD card so that the maps were on/in the unit. I gather that they removed that product and have gone with this - while the maps may be more current, without data, you are LOST!
    03-23-09 09:07 PM
    That's also when I moved it to my SD card, that all access to my mp3 files disappeared. They were on the card but the Media Player showed NO MUSIC under any category (title, album, or all). I don't know if the 8830 was too busy trying to sort/index/whatever all of those gmap files or it was just overwhelmed.
    Hi F2, I just confirmed that if you change the atributes on the MGMapsCache folder to hidden, then, you will be able to see all your media files in their proper media player category. I know it takes a long time, to change the atributes on all the files, and to copy them, but you can always let it run overnight.
    03-23-09 09:24 PM
    A few more tips to let you get the most out space out of your MicroSD cards.

1) Try downloading only odd or even, zoom levels into your MGMapsCache folder. You will save roughly 50% space by doing this. Then, while using MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Zoom Levels - Even/Odd

2) Format your MicroSD card in windows, instead of having the blackberry format it for you. When, Blackberry formats it, it leaves it in the FAT16 filesystem. If you format it in Windows, you get to use the FAT32 file system. Otherwise, you will find that a 200MB folder in Windows converts to a 800 MB folder on your FAT16 card.

Here's some more on the topic

Mobile GMaps :: View topic - Stored Maps

Just remember, that if you do format your media card in Windows, make sure to label the volume BLACKBERRY2, and create a folder BlackBerry in the root directory, and the following folders within the BlackBerry folder

documents
    music
    pictures
    ringtones
    videos
    voicenotes

Enjoy,
    SK
    03-23-09 09:48 PM
284 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD