Is there a GPS app that contain its own maps without the use of data plan?
    01-28-09 04:52 PM
    Is there a GPS app that contain its own maps without the use of data plan?
    Trekbuddy.net but you'll need to build your own maps using something like Googleak.
    01-28-09 06:39 PM
    Trekbuddy.net but you'll need to build your own maps using something like Googleak.
    Yeah def works but make sure you use instructions on treckbuddy, it will not load the maps you get from google if you don't create the folder tree properly very important.
    01-28-09 11:12 PM
    Or you wait a little bit...
    In the Forum someone posted there, that they are near to make it public.

We-Travel Pic on BB

Greets Chris
    01-29-09 03:10 PM
    I have just downloaded this. Do u know how to install it onto a Blackberry Bold 9000?
    02-02-09 12:42 PM
    Anyone?? Someone must have installed this
    02-03-09 05:03 PM
    @Cadburys Man
    You cant install the Version. They dont have released the BB Version at the Moment. :-(

Greets Chris
    02-03-09 09:57 PM
    @Cadburys Man
    You cant install the Version. They dont have released the BB Version at the Moment. :-(

Greets Chris
    Oh ok, thanks for the reply dude
    02-04-09 06:41 AM
    I'm not sure if we-travel will work in the US. None of the map downloads seem to be for the US.
    02-04-09 01:53 PM
    No US maps.
    02-09-09 05:26 PM
    i downloaded googlemap but i cna't use it on my BB8820 =( it says "requires a data connections" i don understand wad it mean by data connection.
    02-14-09 05:17 AM
    Nav4All isn't a data-free application, but the only time it uses data is when it is calculating the route. As long as you stick to its directions, it doesn't use any more data.

Of course, if you take a different route than planned, it will reconnect to its server and recalculate the route (using data).
    02-14-09 07:52 AM
    i downloaded googlemap but i cna't use it on my BB8820 =( it says "requires a data connections" i don understand wad it mean by data connection.
    Did you subscribe to/purchase a blackberry plan to get email and internet on your phone or is it "just a phone"? I know you can't have a BB on VZW without a data plan but I'm not sure about ATT. If you do have a data plan try going to Option->Mobile Network->Data Services and see if it is turned on.
    02-16-09 09:37 AM
    I'm not sure if we-travel will work in the US. None of the map downloads seem to be for the US.
    No US maps.
    I just checked the actual download site for the maps and they don't have a US map download but they do have some individual states (Cali, FL, Mass, NY). I think you might be able to make and submit maps but I'm not sure. They haven't released a BB version but are still working on it. I hope they finish it soon.
    02-16-09 09:42 AM
    Here's another way to get free GPS without a data plan.

It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions for MGMAps. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your MicroSD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to Map Creation Tool for MGMaps and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.
    4) Next click the link to download and install GMAP Maker www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe
    5) After installation, open GMapmaker, and press GO -> it will ask you for that mymap.map file you saved in Step 3
    6) Wait for the download to finish (this will take a long time)
    7) When everything is said and done, copy the MGMapsCache folder (located probably at C:/ProgramFiles/GMapMaker/) to your SD card
    8) Install the signed version of MGMaps Index of /projects/mgmaps/Blackberry using Windows Desktop Manager

Back on the BOLD

- Open up MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Stored Maps - and select Offline Mode and Stored Maps

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends
    blackrolf likes this.
    02-18-09 11:19 PM
    sonni_kuba:

Is there any special way of storing maps for different areas other than renaming the folders as you need them?

I've just created (maybe recreated - since I had this app installed before) Vancouver, BC and the Austria-Italian border areas. So two different map sets.

Oh, while I'm here, have you played with Trekbuddy much or recently? Wondering if they've simplified mapmaking.
    Last edited by F2; 02-19-09 at 12:22 AM.
    02-19-09 12:20 AM
    Is there any special way of storing maps for different areas other than renaming the folders as you need them?
    No, there is no special way. Just download everything into the same cache folder, over and over again, so that all your maps are in there, copy it to the microSD card, and you're set. Everytime that you add a new map, it will automatically update the .conf file for you. For example, I have the whole world at a zoom level of 8, all of North America at a zoom level of 10, the N/E portion of N. America at a zoom level of 12, and a greater Toronto area at a zoom level of 16. All were done by a sequential donwload into the SAME cache folder.

Let me know if you have got problem putting it together.

Oh, while I'm here, have you played with Trekbuddy much or recently? Wondering if they've simplified mapmaking.
    Funny that you ask. Yes, I have looked at it briefly, but was not too eager to do all the steps required to get it working. By all means, I am not an expert, and it could very well end up being easier than MGMaps, but I have found that MGMaps works very well for me, has maps of the entire WORLD, and I can pick from Google, Yahoo, or Live maps. I though I heard that Trekbuddy doesn't have all the maps yet (I could be wrong)
    02-19-09 08:40 AM
    Hey Sonni, do your instructions also work for the 8900?
    02-19-09 01:17 PM
    Hey Sonni, do your instructions also work for the 8900?
    Absolutely
    02-19-09 01:27 PM
    Absolutely
    Thanks, great instructions by the way :

EDIT - do you know how MGMaps works so that it doesn't use any data? Does it use local network towers to determine your location or is it another method?
    Last edited by CCZ; 02-19-09 at 02:32 PM.
    02-19-09 02:08 PM
    EDIT - do you know how MGMaps works so that it doesn't use any data? Does it use local network towers to determine your location or is it another method?
    No, the 8900 and 9000 have a true GPS receiver. With this receiver you can receive your latitude/longitude/altitude information independent of your mobile network. To prove this to yourself, pull out your sim card, go to Options - Advanced Options - GPS - hit Menu - Refresh GPS.

The local networks towers are only going to be used if you select Location Aiding ON. If you do select location aiding ON, you WILL BE CHARGED. This helps the phone with the initial localization. That is why in my guide, I have advised user to turn it to OFF. This may delay your initial location finding from 10-20 secs to 15-100 secs (in my experience).

It is unfortunate that this information is kept covert by wireless carriers, even talking to people at Rogers Tech Support, everyone was clueless. This is not surprising as Rogers will do ANYTHING in their power to convince you that you cannot use anything on your blackberry without a data plan.
    02-19-09 07:02 PM
    sonni does that apply to the 8110 pearl also?
    02-20-09 06:15 AM
    sonni does that apply to the 8110 pearl also?
    I really can't tell, I onlly had an 8120, which did not have GPS functionality. A quick way to find out, is to turn off your mobile network, and see if you can get GSP position. If you can do it without your mobile carrier's assistance, then it is FREE

Let me know, I am also curious.
    SK
    02-20-09 08:27 AM
    hey sonni, I'm having a little trouble with the maps. I dled the maps (which took a ridiculously long time - i had to switch over to "fast and rough") and i moved it to the home folder of the SDcard, where the first folder you see is "Blackberry".

I followed your instructions, switched to "Stored Maps" and "Offline Mode". GPS can determine my position, but I can't see any of my maps!

Do you know what the problem is?

EDIT - and thanks for the explanation, I get how the GPS works now
    02-20-09 10:54 AM
    I followed your instructions, switched to "Stored Maps" and "Offline Mode". GPS can determine my position, but I can't see any of my maps!
    The MGMapsCache folder, along with all the subfolders, and the cache.conf file should be located on the media card, but NOT in the Blackberry folder. By the way, how did you transfer the folder to your media card. Do not use the Desktop Manager interface. Instead use the Mass Storage mode, and transfer using Windows Explorer.

By the way, which maps did you download? Were they google, yahoo, or live maps? I know when I tried with Yahoo maps I had some problems, then, I switched to google maps and it worked.

By the way, when you are troubleshooting this, just try with a very simple map, and few zoom levels. Once you get this working, then you can move onto the SUPER MAP
    02-20-09 01:31 PM
284 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD