check the forum apparently verizon disabled it...
    i dont remember if it worked on the 8830, i think it did, but not very accurately.. or maybe that was just location based. but the storm was the first bb that verizon let third party apps utilize the gps.. ie: google maps. devices around the same release date as the storm and later are slowly getting gps unlocked.
    07-13-09 03:14 PM
    check the forum apparently verizon disabled it...
    Wrong, your gps on the 8830 doesnt work with any 3rd party app but it is unlocked starting with the Storm. Quit giving people incorrect information.
    07-13-09 03:14 PM
    no verizon locked it down at the os level so that you will have to pay for vznavigator. if it works great I get my 9630 tomorrow and I will download it but I doubt it because the newest update for the 8830 it was still locked.
    07-13-09 03:16 PM
    has anyone gotten a gps lock on the tour??
    07-13-09 03:17 PM
    it doesnt on the 8830 with verizon
    Is your 8830 OS up to date? Either way, it has been confirmed a ton of times that GPS is unlocked on the 9630. I also can confirm it as it found my location within 3m while I was driving down the highway yesterday (GMaps).

WeatherBug also updated itself using GPS based on what part of the city I was in at the time.

And when I went to use Poynt to find a nearby restaurant, it gave me very accurate information based on my GPS location as well.

I also had Smrtguard track the drive and it was also right on the money.

As long as you have "Location On" under Advanced Settings->GPS instead of the default "E911", your GPS on the 9630 should be as accurate as any other standalone GPS.
    07-13-09 03:18 PM
    has anyone gotten a gps lock on the tour??
    Yes... it nailed me down within 10 meters with Google Maps.
    07-13-09 03:18 PM
    perfect...
    07-13-09 03:20 PM
    yep, gmaps locks on to gps. mine was within 6m yesterday on my way home from vzw, im inside now so no good sat signal, but it works
    07-13-09 03:28 PM
    Mine definitely works as well. Followed my up and down 1st ave. Accurate to 4 meters.
    07-13-09 05:59 PM
    Works perfectly. Make sure you have GPS set to Location On and not 911.
    07-13-09 06:05 PM
    Now wait for the "my battery life is terrible" threads/posts to start lol. Seriously, you have to use menus to exit this as well as Viigo. Just backing out leaves it on.
    07-13-09 06:30 PM
    Now wait for the "my battery life is terrible" threads/posts to start lol. Seriously, you have to use menus to exit this as well as Viigo. Just backing out leaves it on.
    its a mapping program wouldn't u want it to....it'd be nice if it even had a battery assassinating LCD always on setting.
    07-14-09 08:43 AM
    I'm trying it out and right now the Satellite view shows my building and even has my location on the North End of my building. It is dead on. Amazing!!!
    07-14-09 10:08 AM
    Works perfectly. Make sure you have GPS set to Location On and not 911.
    had that on til just now, I was like why is my thing 1200 meters off and others are spot on? It finally got me!! Thanks
    07-14-09 10:16 AM
    this is my first blackberry and after i did the enable gps thing it works fine now, puts my location next door but not that big of a deal, what i was wondering was, when i try to get directions it'll give me acurate ones to where i want to go, but when i want to see them on the map it won't let me click it in the menu, like it's a touchscreen button, did anyone figure out a way around this or am i just screwed until they update
    07-14-09 09:43 PM
    Put location on in the GPS options under advanced, pressed 0 repeatedly on the Google Maps map screen, zeroed in like a champ.
    07-14-09 11:53 PM
    I've downloaded Google Maps twice now on my Sprint Tour.

Still, however, even with all of the correct GPS settings, and the tips mentioned avove, Google Maps is triangulating my position via cell tower - not GPS. Anytime I try to zero in on my location, it says "Waiting for GPS" ... It never gets a GPS lock though. On a side note, Sprint Navigation works just fine.

I find it odd that some people are having no issues with this, while others are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 05:10 PM
    @mconk:
    Same same here, Sprint Tour in Los Angeles, can't get a lock, it's also 1000 meters away. Did the battery pull and stuff. My Sprint Nav and BB Maps works like a charm.
    BTW, what's the version of Google map you guys had installed. Mine said 3.02.
    07-30-09 04:08 PM
    I tried 3.02 and a few versions below - no dice. The verdict is in: Goog needs to update gmaps. Btw, using Sprint Nav the other day I noticed it keeps losing the gps fix in clear areas on a sunny day. My 8830 could get a good gps lock inside of a tornado...I've only lost gps once or twice on my 8830 but with the tour, I lost the signal about 10times in a 2hour trip...something is def. wrong. If I back out and resume the trip, it gets the lock again immediately. Its very frusturating...

@mconk:
    Same same here, Sprint Tour in Los Angeles, can't get a lock, it's also 1000 meters away. Did the battery pull and stuff. My Sprint Nav and BB Maps works like a charm.
    BTW, what's the version of Google map you guys had installed. Mine said 3.02.
    07-30-09 09:56 PM
    I tried 3.02 and a few versions below - no dice. The verdict is in: Goog needs to update gmaps. Btw, using Sprint Nav the other day I noticed it keeps losing the gps fix in clear areas on a sunny day. My 8830 could get a good gps lock inside of a tornado...I've only lost gps once or twice on my 8830 but with the tour, I lost the signal about 10times in a 2hour trip...something is def. wrong. If I back out and resume the trip, it gets the lock again immediately. Its very frusturating...

Yep, same here. My settings is set to Location: on, and I still usually don get a GPS lovk, so I'm a few streets off on gmaps.

07-30-09 11:28 PM
    Has anyone else noticed they get better connections in Google Maps if they get a connection in BBMaps first?

-stephen
    08-07-09 11:25 PM
    JustinD2473, Thanks. Took time for me to figure out that.
    08-15-09 02:58 AM
    I think to fix the web browser issue you seemed to have, open the browser and go to the options. Under Browser Configuration change the Emulation to BlackBerry. I changed mine to IE before and forgot to change it back and I had the hardest time opening any google sites.

I hope that helps!
    08-18-09 01:03 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD