Hi my quetion is if I bought an unblocked blackberry 8900 that comes with both GPS and Wi-Fi, and currently I have no internet acces or GPS service at my phone plan, and I change my SIM to that unblocked 8900 I can use an usecured network with the Wi-Fi conection, and GPS services free?? because those are features that comes with the phone?

thak you!
    12-21-08 03:24 PM
    yes sure
    12-21-08 03:51 PM
    On my SIM free (unlocked) 8900 I was abl to switch off the GSM radio and still navigate the Internet. The book (yes, I read it) says that I can also receive emails in this state too but none came in whilst I was playing with it. None came in after either.

GPS is clearly free.
    12-21-08 05:01 PM
    On my SIM free (unlocked) 8900 I was abl to switch off the GSM radio and still navigate the Internet. The book (yes, I read it) says that I can also receive emails in this state too but none came in whilst I was playing with it. None came in after either.

GPS is clearly free.
    So, if the GPS are free I can use it only with blacberry maps or the GPS feature comes with their own map engine?
    12-21-08 10:30 PM
    Yes, the GPS will work, but the problem is the vast majority of the GPS apps require a constant data connection for maps. One app that is very simple, without maps, and free is available over on the GPS crackberry forums;
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ut-maps-20979/
    12-21-08 11:02 PM
    You shold definately get the little app that Warwick's link points to. I is called BlackStart and you need to find version 1.3.2 which is the latest.

I am successfully running Google Maps as well so my guess is that you will be able to do this too.

GPS is simply a rdaio receiver that looks for satellites in space and feeds a serial stream of data (like a modem) to an application. I would uess that after the horrific Verizon fiasco where they disabled this feature unless you use their software, RIM will have prevented this from ever happening again.
    12-22-08 08:53 AM
    You shold definately get the little app that Warwick's link points to. I is called BlackStart and you need to find version 1.3.2 which is the latest.

I am successfully running Google Maps as well so my guess is that you will be able to do this too.

GPS is simply a rdaio receiver that looks for satellites in space and feeds a serial stream of data (like a modem) to an application. I would uess that after the horrific Verizon fiasco where they disabled this feature unless you use their software, RIM will have prevented this from ever happening again.

So is this only true with unlocked phones? If I wait to get it from T-Mob will I have to subscribe to anything to use the GPS function? I think I read that I still will have to pay to receive calls and send and receive text messages over WIFI but that I will be able to at least surf for free with it. Do you know if I'm correct on this point?
    12-22-08 04:09 PM
    sorry for the newb question, but,
    does this mean even if i do not have a data plan I can use GPS?
    and also, where can i find the bb maps application?
    I'm not sure if it matters, but I am on Rogers
    12-23-08 12:05 AM
    You can use GPS without a data plan however, the maps application (BB Maps for example) will not be able to download maps for you on the fly - because you need a data plan for that. See post #5 above for a maps application that does not need to download map data on the fly.
    12-23-08 12:14 AM
    Exactly as everyone else has stated :

1. GPS works without a data plan
    2. It is useless without a data plan because you will not be able to pull down maps. Meaning you will see your "location" on a blank screen. Kinda useless haha
    12-23-08 12:21 AM
    Without a data or phone plan (ie no sim card), you can still surf with wifi, and use the gps.

But without data, you are quite limited with gps apps. BB maps will work, but is not much use with out maps. You can get BB Maps for free from the BB website. The simple app I linked above would be more useful without a data plan.

A BB 8900 would still work and do a bunch of stuff, but it would be a bit sad without a phone & data plan...
    12-23-08 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD