just realized that I had GPS feature on this phone--go me... anyway, i'm operating on T-Mo with unlimited everything. having that said, does anyone have difficulty locating while on UMA? 3g? other networks?

i can't get Poynt to locate me on GPS now that i've enabled it.

thanks
    04-25-10 12:20 PM
    No, I don't have an issue... if I'm outside... but I doubt your outside if you are connected to a Wireless router.

Try going outside.
    04-25-10 12:26 PM
    Why wouldn't it be able to pick me up indoors?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 01:19 PM
    Why wouldn't it be able to pick me up indoors?

from howstuffworks.com
    In order to determine your location, a GPS receiver has to determine:

* The locations of at least three satellites above you
    * Where you are in relation to those satellites

The receiver then uses trilateration to determine your exact location. Basically, it draws a sphere around each of three satellites it can locate. These three spheres intersect in two points -- one is in space, and one is on the ground. The point on the ground at which the three spheres intersect is your location
    A GPS receiver has to have a clear line of sight to the satellite to operate, so dense tree cover and buildings can keep it from getting a fix on your location.
    dense cloud cover will also keep GPS from getting a fix
    Last edited by giantfan30; 04-25-10 at 01:32 PM.
    04-25-10 01:25 PM
    lol yeah, you're really not gonna get a GPS signal indoors.
    04-25-10 01:56 PM
    from howstuffworks.com
    In order to determine your location, a GPS receiver has to determine:

* The locations of at least three satellites above you
    * Where you are in relation to those satellites

The receiver then uses trilateration to determine your exact location. Basically, it draws a sphere around each of three satellites it can locate. These three spheres intersect in two points -- one is in space, and one is on the ground. The point on the ground at which the three spheres intersect is your location
    A GPS receiver has to have a clear line of sight to the satellite to operate, so dense tree cover and buildings can keep it from getting a fix on your location.
    dense cloud cover will also keep GPS from getting a fix
    Correct on all points, except the 9700 uses assisted gps, it sends/receives info over the cell network to assist/speedup the locating. I rarely have an issue getting a fix in my house and It even shows me moving around(if I move more than 3m).
    The op may need to go into options>>status type test and run a fix test on gps, that will speed things up.

04-25-10 01:56 PM
    GPS work best with a clear view of the sky... it's the nature of the beast.

Go outside... does it work???
    04-25-10 01:59 PM
    Works outside. We've had a bit of cloud cover for the past few days here in jersey(my neck of the woods anyway). Seems to work fine for the most part

04-27-10 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD