Hi all, I recently moved from the U.S. to Switzerland with my TMO-branded 9700. The phone is unlocked, and, after a few phone calls and plan adjustments, almost everything works as it did in the States. The phone is updated with the Orange CH software from the RIM site.

The one remaining problem is that I can't get GPS to work. I tried to play around with both the "public" and the eScreen GPS settings, but, lacking any relevant documentation, I wasn't particularly successful.

If anyone's using a 9700 (or, I guess, any other GPS BBY) on Orange (Switzerland or elsewhere), I'd be grateful for some settings or advice on how to configure my phone to use GPS. GPS did work back in the U.S., with Google Maps and other apps. Here in Switzerland, I can't get a fix on the satellites. Config problem? Phone problem? Let me know if you need more details.

Your help is much appreciated. I sure did learn quite a bit on these forums during the move.

Thanks!
    04-12-10 01:07 PM
    The fix, as it turns out, is trivial. All one has to do is the following:

1. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP/IP
    2. Change the APN value from "epc.tmobile.com" to "internet"; leave APN auth disabled
    3. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS
    4. Hit Menu -> Refresh GPS

The 9700 should pick up a few satellites and get a reasonable position. Both BBmaps and Google Maps now integrate the GPS functionality.

Cheers!
    04-13-10 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD