Is there any GPS software that uses wifi (only works in hotspots)?
    01-03-09 10:46 AM
    I have to ask...why would you want GPS that only works at fixed locations?
    01-03-09 11:35 AM
    Google maps and BB Maps work over WiFi. But you have to force them to if you don't want to risk using the carrier network, by switching off the carrier network radio.

I don't know if RIM's API supports an application 'knowing' if it's connected via WiFi or the carrier network. All the apps I've tried always use whatever the BB is currently using for data (GPRS/3G, or WiFi), and the BB's OS decides what it will use at any one moment. What the BB OS has decided may be transparent to the application.
    01-03-09 11:40 AM
    I have to ask...why would you want GPS that only works at fixed locations?
    Many of the GPS apps cache the maps. If you're paying for data by the KB, it would be useful to somehow force the GPS application to grab the map segments you need whilst data is fast/free and not burn through data over the carrier network if possible (e.g. when roaming)
    01-03-09 11:43 AM
    I tried Google Maps using wifi, but it doesn't load. What's BB maps? the application preloaded?Because I used that and it says gps feature are disabled.
    01-03-09 12:05 PM
    " the application preloaded? "
    Sometimes preloaded and sometimes not. For example, my Bold is European version and it was not preloaded. So , I had to I had to install it.

" What's BB maps?"
    It's Blackberry Maps. You can download it to your PC for free from Blckberry.com. Then , you can connect the device to your PC and install it using Desktop Manger (DM).

" says gps feature are disabled."
    Let me try to explain something to you when using maps on BB

GPS receiver is a piece of hardware built in the device (your Bold). You can enable or disable it whether you have data plane with your carrier. In other words, the GPS receiver itself does not cost anything it just searches and then connects to a satellite and gives you your current position (Latitude and Longitude).
    go Options > Advanced Options > GPS > and turn the service on
    remember you should be close to the windows or outside the building.

But, you need more than that. Right? you need to see you position on the map, otherwise the Latitude and Longitude would be useless. So, you launch your favorite map application such BB maps or Google (both are free). Then, the application will use the GPS's Latitude and Longitude to show you you current position on the map . But , how does the map application give you that? You have to have some sort of Data Connection so that the application can retrieve the maps from the Internet.

Summary:
    GPS is a free piece of hardware built in the device to connect to satellites.

Map Applications (Google, BB, Telnav,... ): some are free and others not. However all of them use data coonection (such EDGE,3G, wifi,.... ) and the GPS's Latitude and Longitude to function correctly.
    01-04-09 02:05 AM
    GPS != Sat Nav, GPS == Global Position System, ie your location now
    01-04-09 05:03 AM
    ok...so GPS is actually free? then why do people pay subscription? I'm not sure if GPS is in the program 'maps', but when I open it, I see 'your device is not confiured for BIS or BES access. Consult your wreless service provider or ystem administrator' Also, google maps don't seem to connect over wifi for some reason...
    Last edited by 0128; 01-04-09 at 09:48 AM.
    01-04-09 09:45 AM
    ok...so GPS is actually free? then why do people pay subscription?
    CDMA versions of BB's lock it artificially and you have to pay to unlock it.

I'm not sure if GPS is in the program 'maps', but when I open it, I see 'your device is not confiured for BIS or BES access. Consult your wreless service provider or ystem administrator' Also, google maps don't seem to connect over wifi for some reason...
    Try TrekBuddy instead it doesn't require network access at all, but you need to compile your own map set ahead of time.
    01-04-09 10:05 AM
    CDMA versions of BB's lock it artificially and you have to pay to unlock it.
    Wrong. The Storm's GPS is unlocked.

ok...so GPS is actually free? then why do people pay subscription?
    The GPS is free. Some programs that use it (VZ Nav, Garmin, etc.) are not. All that a GPS will tell the phone/program is Latitude and Longitude (position).
    01-04-09 10:42 AM
    Wrong. The Storm's GPS is unlocked.
    Actually I have no idea what Verizon is doing, all information about Verizon and GPS is hearsay and double speak. Also Verizon isn't the only CDMA carrier out there. There was a thread on Bell Canada chosing to lock it for financial reasons the other day, although this was only the 8330 although I haven't heard anything to the contry about their Storm offering either.
    01-04-09 10:46 AM
    doesn't GPS give you not only your position, but your address?
    01-04-09 11:20 AM
    doesn't GPS give you not only your position, but your address?
    No big databases turn GPS information into addresses, I doubt there would be enough storage at present to allow a phone to store this. Unless you are talking about maps, which is a different thing again.
    01-04-09 12:17 PM
    from what I understand, a GPS is something you enter an address in, and it tells you how to get there?
    01-04-09 12:23 PM
    from what I understand, a GPS is something you enter an address in, and it tells you how to get there?
    That would be sat nav, not GPS.

GPS is simply some chip in the phone giving software higher up in the OS stack the longitude, latitude and possibly elevation.

The "satellite navigation" software then sends that to a database server over the internet and they do something useful with the information.
    01-04-09 12:39 PM
    No big databases turn GPS information into addresses, I doubt there would be enough storage at present to allow a phone to store this. Unless you are talking about maps, which is a different thing again.
    Actually, there is plenty of space. 1GB is enough to store all maps, etc on a Garmin.
    01-04-09 01:56 PM
    is it possible to get the sat nav program that uses wifi/preloaded data then?
    01-04-09 09:41 PM
    is it possible to get the sat nav program that uses wifi/preloaded data then?
    As I already said, TrekBuddy.
    01-05-09 01:14 AM
    Actually, there is plenty of space. 1GB is enough to store all maps, etc on a Garmin.
    For what area?
    01-05-09 01:14 AM
    For what area?
    Detailed maps of the entire US.
    01-05-09 07:48 AM
    Sorry, I was wrong...detailed maps of the US, Canada and Puerto Rico!
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=1456
    01-05-09 07:57 AM
    Sorry, I was wrong...detailed maps of the US, Canada and Puerto Rico!
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=1456
    The current OSM DB for Australia, not sure what that entails exactly is 4G I think, their entire DB is something like 94G, but their data is incomplete.
    01-05-09 08:00 AM
    The current OSM DB for Australia, not sure what that entails exactly is 4G I think, their entire DB is something like 94G, but their data is incomplete.
    Then the OSM DB is extremely inefficient or includes a whole lot more than roads. The Garmin maps for Australia fit on a CD (they had to use a DVD for North America).
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=11033
    01-05-09 08:07 AM
    Then the OSM DB is extremely inefficient or includes a whole lot more than roads.
    I'm guessing both, the Garmin stuff is probably binary, the OSM stuff bought into the XML hype BS...
    01-05-09 09:05 AM
    how do I get rid of the BES/BIS msg then? Thanks.
    01-05-09 05:48 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD